Ask the Bear & Badger
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Don't know if this is the right thread for this, but I'm having problems with a neighbour playing loud music at all times. He plays bass heavy music even as late as 1am. So loud that I can feel the bass in my bedroom.

I have tried to contact the management company, but no joy. I emailed by local councillor yesterday and he feels the council are limited in what they can do as the apartments are private.

I am a tenant, he is an owner. I believe I have some basic rights as a tenant, but I am not sure where to take this legally.

I've tried talking to him, but he hasn't answered his door.

Write a polite letter and put it through his door. If it continues, I believe you're allowed to get the police over to sort him out.
  • Just call 101 next time it is happening after 11pm.
  • Tbh if you've tried making contact with the council, tried with the management company....I'd try the police.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Surely speak to the man or post a letter before calling the police.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The council have an obligation to investigate. Sounds like they are trying to fob you off. The fact it's a private property has no bearing.
  • Counter with your own sound-system playing the brown note at top volume.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Cheers guys. Think I'll definitely try the council again. 

I'm not sure about a letter to him personally. He's a bit of an odd guy and had a major verbal attack on one other neighbour threatening him. Weird thing is the area I live in is nice, with no trouble, but he seems to be.
  • Brick through the window. Send a message.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Surely speak to the man or post a letter before calling the police.

I really don't want the police involved tbh. Think I'll go the council route, have found a page on anti social behaviour which this falls under.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Sounds like your local councillor is just unaware of council responsibilities, too busy trying to garner votes and fiddle expenses. The council will have a department that will deal with it
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Sounds like your local councillor is just unaware of council responsibilities, too busy trying to garner votes and fiddle expenses. The council will have a department that will deal with it

More likely they will have a department that will send someone out to listen to the noise at a time he doesn't make the noise and then declare nothing they can do as he's not making any noise.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I had the same trouble with neighbours upstairs. They regularly had parties but the real problem was techno all day, played at a relatively low volume but enough that you could hear the constant thump thump thump, sometimes for days on end. It wasn't entirely due to them but we moved out and that solved it. So yeah, move out.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    But (semi) seriously, if the cops do nothing then a late night angry visit with a hammer in your hand might make him see the light.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I don't know about there, but here there's certainly no differences between the rights of an owner or a tenant with regards noise, or any kind of behaviour. for that matter
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:

Yep have found a page with a specific email address. Gonna see what they can do. I would talk to him face to face but he’s never around at the same time as he doesn’t work full time hence I’m guessing he can be up all hours. When he’s in he doesn’t answer his door. I’m hoping to catch him on the drive one day and address it but I’ve seen how he reacted with the other neighbour over a car parking space so I don’t hold out much hope.

• Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    @Andy could probably give you good info.
  • Don't feel obliged to deal with it face to face.
    When I had to report the place over the road to the council I really didnt want to have to deal with any fallout of them knowing exactly who had made a complaint.

With me it was because the Polish bar decided to add giant, flashing LED billboards to the front of the building that strobed and lit up all our flats.
    A woman from the council came round after dark (luckily it was winter) but she wasn't satisfied it was making much of an imapct in my flat even though it was like switching the main room light on and off.

I marched her to a neighbour's flat whose window faced directly onto the bar, she then agreed and got them to remove the signs.

There was no way I was going to start a row with what is a community hub for a large Polish population.

Anyway, I suspect they will ask you to do a diary of times it is happening. They tried that on me but I explained the sign was on 24/7 so a diary was rather pointless.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:

More likely they will have a department that will send someone out to listen to the noise at a time he doesn't make the noise and then declare nothing they can do as he's not making any noise.

Yup, that does happen a lot in truth
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    LivDiv yep been keeping a diary in my notes app so already have dates and times.
  • Nice one, at least you can jump ahead on the procedure if they ask.
  • I'd chuck a note through the letterbox.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    I really don't want the police involved tbh.

May I ask why not?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Just seems heavy handed for a noise complaint. And a waste of resource when they could be doing something more important.
  • I don’t agree it’s heavy handed. Well, it doesn’t have to be. But there are options to scale it up. It’s a quality of life issue, and having a problem with neighbours can have a serious effect on people over time. Cops roll their eyes at neighbour disputes, but usually get more enthusiastic about dealing with it when they meet the arsehole causing the problem.

I don’t know the law in England, but the law in Scotland is just about the noise causing annoyance; there is no stipulation about the time of day, and no guidelines to that effect either - although common sense dictates that a one-off Saturday afternoon barbecue is probably fine compared to a persistent 1am dubstep barrage, anything annoying enough is covered. If cops show up and agree that it’s unreasonable, they can give a warning. If they’re called back within twenty four hours, and again agree that the noise would be annoying, they can seize the equipment, and can force entry to do so, if necessary. There may be similar legislation in England.

That’s the best way to deal with it short term. You can stipulate when you phone in that you don’t want to be identified as the complainer to your neighbour, so you don’t want the cops to come to your door, but ask for the incident number, and for a call back to update you. Keep a note of the incident numbers.

Longer term, harass the council, using the incident numbers (and the diary you’ve kept so far) as fuel. And you will need to harass them. Harass your councillor too and, if he won’t bother himself, move on to your MP. Tell the councillor that you’re doing that, and tell your MP that your councillor was a waste of space. It doesn’t matter that it’s not council property, it is a council issue. Ultimately, they’re the ones with the ASBO teams if it’s needed.
  • Or... stink bombs through his letter box.
  • Ooh, no! Wet ferrets!
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Cheers Andy. Interestingly I went back to the councillor with a link to the councils anti social behaviour page and he said to leave it with him and he would get back to me. I’ll give him benefit of the doubt and wait for his reply.
  • Is it too late to plant daffodil bulbs?
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!