Ask the Bear & Badger
  • Thank you Unc. If all my measly hospital wages go to some Nigerian Prince I'll be after you though.
  • do we have a Banner Saga thread? i looked in games index and couldnt find one
  • I doubt it.

But I'm also not sure the index has everything in it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I don't think anyone ever showed enough interest in Banner Saga for it to have its own thread.
  • Edinburgh, I stayed here - https://www.apexhotels.co.uk/apex-grassmarket-hotel

I remember it being nice. This was about 6 years ago and were like 26 ish with no kids so different kind of requirements but still, i think it would be fine with kids. I think grassmarket is a well known area for pubs and whatnot but seemed like a nice area to me not loutish and we never had any noise in the hotel. Seemed to be lots of nice restaurants around, we basically walked everywhere from here i think, Royal Mile, Arthurs seat all that jazz. Also the breakfast was great.

I loved Edinburgh. We only stayed two nights i think.
  • Also the hotel gave us a rubber duck which spurred us/me to collect a duck wherever we/i go. We have like 30 of the fuckers now, nowhere to put them. I couldn't find one in Paris, bloody french. Las Vegas/Amsterdam ducks hold particularly good memories.
  • The only time I went to Edinburgh was for Live 8. I missed the last train back, spent the night on the street, and the train I got back in the morning arrived in London just before the Underground bombings.

I got off well before London, but was chatting to someone who was going there.
  • I've been to Edinburgh twice now, once with the wife and once on a stag do and it's's pretty much my favourite city in the world. Architecturally speaking it is beautiful and food wise I had my best meals ever at The Atrium which has now closed unfortunately. Don't be overly tempted by the Witchery which we paid a god awful amount of money for and was totally average and totally over waited on, it was one of the most uncomfortable dining experiences I have had.
    Albert's Seat is well worth a trip up especially with the kids and as a cultured landscapy designer get yourself down to the Scottish parliament building which has some decent public realm design by RMJM.
    Best thing I ate was a battered haggis and chips with loads of salt and vinegar near Waverley station. Immense.

I stayed in an Indian themed hotel opposite the other Edinburgh station and a B&B so I can't recommend anywhere decent unfortunately !
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Badgers pulling it together again.cheers guys.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Poppo was right r.e. cocktail bars - we have some of the finest.

If you're looking for one fancy meal, rather than just fire you off to The Kitchin for Michelin love, can I recommend The Scran and Scallie in Stockbridge which is Tom Kitchins's gastropub. Last time I was there I had the most divine hoggett.

Otherwise, some nice places to go -

Korean BBQ literally the name, a wee tiny place across the road from the King's Theatre. Also has its own theatre as you cook on your table etc

The Cambridge Bar / Bell's Diner
    Everyone will have their own ideas about what is the best burger in Edinburgh, but these are my two favourites. The former will do some mad and crazy combos with their burgers, the latter has done the same Californian recipe for 50 odd years.

Bross Bagels one in Leith walk, one just off the west end of princes at. For a cheap and filling breakfast / lunch, their Vancouver style bagels are to die for. I'm a fan of the cold turkey, but whatever you get will be amazing.

pizzeria 1926 / civerinos - your pizza heaven. The former kind of like Edinburgh's answer to paesano but a little more upmarket with toppings, and as such, pizzas are £2-3 more expensive than the big P. The latter is a by the slice place just up from Greyfriars Bobby as you start going to the university area. It's quick, cheap and filling.

I'll do drink later. Off work ill with no voice today so plenty of time....
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Reg knows.

The Camera Obscura is a very good shout for the kids.

Baba is probably my favourite place for food in Edinburgh at the moment.

The Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art is way more fun than the main National Gallery.

Stockbridge market is worth a foodie visit on a Sunday, and puts you in the nicest part of town for a wander.

It’s a tourist city so you can find hotels for any budget. My wife’s firm won a bunch of awards for The Principal last year, so that might be worth a look. Other big names I’ve been involved with are the Scotsman and Tigerlily. Some friends of mine just opened up a ‘private residence’ called The Chaumer Abide which is really special.

Only thing I'd warn is if you are coming through in June and staying at the Principal then you might see me shepherding 140 drunk S6 kids as they are having their prom there....
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    * bookmarks page *
  • cheers jonb and kow. I'm suprised seeing the game (banner saga) is a 3 parter, thought it would resonant with someone on here for its own thread. maybe not.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    poprock wrote:
    Reg knows.

The Camera Obscura is a very good shout for the kids.

Baba is probably my favourite place for food in Edinburgh at the moment.

The Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art is way more fun than the main National Gallery.

Stockbridge market is worth a foodie visit on a Sunday, and puts you in the nicest part of town for a wander.

It’s a tourist city so you can find hotels for any budget. My wife’s firm won a bunch of awards for The Principal last year, so that might be worth a look. Other big names I’ve been involved with are the Scotsman and Tigerlily. Some friends of mine just opened up a ‘private residence’ called The Chaumer Abide which is really special.

Only thing I'd warn is if you are coming through in June and staying at the Principal then you might see me shepherding 140 drunk S6 kids as they are having their prom there....

Hmmmm. It seems The Principal is the only place that’ll get us all in the one room rather than spread over two so at the moment it looks like it’s gonna be there.

Birthday is the 20th of June Reg. It’s gonna be that weekend isn’t it?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    No, it's June 9th. You're safe.
  • Although the kids will have wrecked the place.
    Spoiler:
  • Also that’s a pretty fucking fancy place to be taking a bunch of prom kids. Our room is gonna be like £400 a night i think.
  • It's bankrolled by George Soros.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I think someone asked about CCTV not too long ago. Did that yield any good recs??
  • I have nest stuff as it ties in nicely with my home automation stuff.

They’re pretty pricey but you can install yourself (so no electrician fees). My next door neighbour went for a massive pack of multi cameras that cover his entire house. They’ve all been swapped out at least three times now. You get what you pay for.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I've got some Ring cameras at home. A doorbell and a spotlight motion sensor camera. They are decent and easy to install, but if you want to use the video storage service (which you have to if you want to keep the footage) then it's a monthly subscription.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Thought for a moment you meant a camera in the toilet bowl
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    pooprock, teehee
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Someone help me with building a decent fire. I've got a fireplace in the front room and smokeless coal, plus kindling and fire lighters. I can get the kindling going, put the coal on but doesn't seem to give out that much heat or last that long... Do I need to just chuck a shit load of coal on at the start? Slowly add to it as time goes on?

Any good tips/pics for how to build one up?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Depends how much coal you're putting on to be honest. The more you put on the more heat/longer the burn, but the more kindling you need and a bigger firelplace. 

Does your fireplace have a grate? If so you want to open the grate when the kindling is lit, and then close it once the coal is burning, that will restrict the oxygen that gets drawn onto the coals and make them burn more slowly once the fire is going.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Ahhh was going to ask about that. Yeah we have a floo(flume?) with grate that is normally closed but open when I light the fire. So once flames are out, shut the thing?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I don't think you need to shut it once the flames go down, iirc I think coal takes 20-30 minutes maybe before it's burning away by itself and then close the grate. I think the flue is the bit that connects to the chimney, without wanting to be (but totally being) that guy. People may also just call the chimney the flue, but I'm not so sure cause you can just have a flue that goes anywhere (like when your boiler flue just goes through the wall to outside) but a chimney is a stack that draws exhaust gases and smoke away by convection of the air passing over the top causing some negative pressure ting inside the chimney and drawing the gas up. Or something.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    What do you call those fireplaces with the glass door on them? I think I'm going to get one of those installed before next winter. The sister in law has one and the heat it gives out is incredible compared to a normal open fireplace.
  • A stove.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!