Ask the Bear & Badger
  • Or a wood burner.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Prepare to have snowflakes tutting as they are the in thing to raise an eyebrow at in terms of selfish consumerist environmental damage rn.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Loving the knowledge Rouj, don't apologise for knowing shit!
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Prepare to have snowflakes tutting as they are the in thing to raise an eyebrow at in terms of selfish consumerist environmental damage rn.

Why's that? Surely they burn less fuel for more heat?
  • Kow wrote:
    Roujin wrote:
    Prepare to have snowflakes tutting as they are the in thing to raise an eyebrow at in terms of selfish consumerist environmental damage rn.

Moron city folk who have access to mains gas are having them because they’re “in”. As wood and coal burning releases huge amounts of particulate matter, they’re really bad for urban air quality. They’re actually considering banning them.

Thankful I live in the middle of nowhere so can burn whatever I want.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Ah, ok. I live on the way to the middle of nowhere so I should be ok too.
  • Jaco wrote:
    Kow wrote:
    Roujin wrote:
    Moron city folk who have access to mains gas are having them because they’re “in”. As wood and coal burning releases huge amounts of particulate matter, they’re really bad for urban air quality. They’re actually considering banning them. Thankful I live in the middle of nowhere so can burn whatever I want.

YOU GOT ELECTRICITY RIGHT?

*EYEBROWS SMACK THE CEILING*

No but it's kind of sad really that we can be so quick to get on urban air quality issues like this but make almost no traction on other aspects of air quality - sorry people who live in cities, them cars gotta start getting used way less for shit like the school run or dropping your kids off at nandos, etc. Mainly though we will of course make no attempt to stop the largest commercial entities from all manner of environmental fuckery at the same time as punishing the general public for so much as daring to fart outside.
  • The worst thing I see (helps living over the road from a station) is idling vehicles.
    Almost 24 hours a day buses, coaches and mini cabs of various amounts will be out there engines running.
    Sure walk the kids to school but that saved pollution will be outstripped by a bell end mini cab driver by lunch.
  • I got me one of these bad bois -

ReleaseProduct-119346-65465.jpg
    Because I properly cannot be fucked breathing this shit in anymore, absolutely hate living in a toxic city.
  • For sure Liv, idling deffo a problem. I recall somepoint in the past there was a mooted change to school starting hours to be moved back an hour iirc to start at 10, so that teenage brains would get some extra sleep and also so that kids would hopefully be walking around after peak traffic time so the air would have cleared up a bit. I dunno what happened to that though, I guess there were complaints from parents or something about the logistics of that if you have little kids but both parents at work.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Jaco wrote:
    Moron city folk who have access to mains gas are having them because they’re “in”. As wood and coal burning releases huge amounts of particulate matter, they’re really bad for urban air quality. They’re actually considering banning them. Thankful I live in the middle of nowhere so can burn whatever I want.

Well said, I can't abide those twats, however fuck urban air quality. Burning logs is far better from a lifetime point of view that the main alternatives, also if they cleaned their chimneys that'd help no end
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Mindless game needed for when I get home today. Please advise

New Luigi U (100ed% NSMBU in hospital yesterday)
    Yakuza Kiwami 2
    Octopath

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    What do you call those fireplaces with the glass door on them? I think I'm going to get one of those installed before next winter. The sister in law has one and the heat it gives out is incredible compared to a normal open fireplace.

There are fires specifically for burning smokeless fuel (certain types of coal). They give off fumes hence the glass door. We had one when I was a kid - the chimney/flue had to be lined before it was installed. They generate incredible heat. One can easily run enough radiators for a standard 3 bedroom house and provide hot water with a normal sized fireplace.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Stoves (wood or smokeless coal burning) are great for heating small homes. The whole thing is based on an iron box with fire inside – so the fire heats up the iron box, which then stays hot for hours and hours, acting as a big-ass radiator. I’ve even seen some folk cooking on the top surface out in rural communities.

I think there’s a problem with communication/understanding of domestic pollution etc. There are two issues: environmental harm and air quality. The two are conflated way too easily and way too often. They have different solutions, or at least different things we can easily change about our behaviours.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yeah but Sally whinging about her clothes picking up a little soot, when she's just put them through a hot extended wash in the washing machine, with god knows what chemicals and then use 'the environment' as her justification, after all she'll have to wash them again and it'll ruin her schedule for running the Chelsea tractor a mile down the road to pick up her kid from school

Sorry, just frustration
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Mindless game needed for when I get home today. Please advise New Luigi U (100ed% NSMBU in hospital yesterday) Yakuza Kiwami 2 Octopath

I'd say Luigi is most 'mindless' there
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • When did 'disinformation' become 'fake news'?
  • During the run up to Trump’s election.

A handy catchphrase for people who find ‘disinformation’ too long a word.
  • You cant say handy around Trump.
  • It's weird isn't it? (To me at least).

The word has been around forever, but now it's packaged it a neat phrase.
  • I'm sure I remember it starting as a phrase against a lot of this alt right shit but then Trump seemed to adopt it.
    Maybe it's just the corners of the internet I spend time in.
  • Has anyone found my key for the side door yet?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Fake news as a phrase certainly predates Trump, but Trump has made it his own.

FWIW, I think that it points at a distinction. Disinformation suggests something done with a purpose, probably from a government or a large organisation. Fake news exists in order to drive clicks to a website for advertising purposes. In my mind, at least.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Fake news was originally relating to made up stories that were shared on social media, but were presenting themselves as legitimate news. Many of those stories were related to the Trump campaign, such as the pope's endorsement of him for president. Edit: and as Yoss points out, also for click bait.

Trump then misappropriated the term and accused any journalist or news outlet he disagreed with (normally if they were critical of him) of being "fake news"

In response news outlets abandoned the term to Trump, and now use disinformation as a catchall phrase for any "news" content that was deliberately attempting to mislead.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Where does propaganda fit into this?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Propaganda is generally content that is produced specifically to influence the attitudes of an audience. It's not objective, and is usually attributed to the people that produce it. It's not done covertly.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    This is an good read if you're interested in propaganda (WWI in particular)

https://www.bl.uk/world-war-one/themes/propaganda
  • This is probably a known in-joke that I’ve missed out on but why does the forum say I’ve posted ten minutes earlier than I actually have?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!