Ask the Bear & Badger
  • Get her a DS and Chronotrigger.
  • I definitely don't mean our DS.
  • Not sure about Switch RPGs. Whichever the best FF is might be a good shout. Shame 6 isn't available yet.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Dragon Quest XI, Shirley?

Not sure if the excellent VIII is on there too, I think it got remastered recently.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    DQ11 is a great shout. She knows it because I've played it, and the theme plays everywhere in Japan . Will recommend.
  • davyK wrote:
    The problem is the thing won't connect to the network any more. Otherwise it still works.  Robust wee bast - no matter how many times it has been dropped and falls apart it just goes together like a lego phone. Anyhow - I have found an SD card that fits it and I'm backing everything up on it..  :) The SIM actually almost fits - just a bit too big, I presume she can just move her contract on a newer SIM.  (confirmed by @Dante)

Does she have a Google or Microsoft account?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I am of course assuming that the new Nokia will allow an import from a older phone's backup - will try that once it's charged up…..
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • It should just be a .csv file, so I can't see why it wouldn't work
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    So the 3310 won't read the old phone's backup file  (it's a 6303i classic)

It sees it as a backup file but won't load it. What a load of balls.

However I have managed to copy the contacts to the new phone's memory via bluetooth.

No way of copying messages or photos though. There doesn't even seem to be a way of copying stuff to the memory card unless it's via a backup operation which dumps a single file onto the card.

I might get the pictures off but there are some messages she wants to keep (I know). Will just have to keep the old phone to refer to those. Message forwarding won't work as the network comms are fucked and the message archive options won't let me copy onto the memory card. A USB cable , if it exists, would only work if I got stuff onto the memory card I'm guessing.

What a pain in the arse. The contacts are over which is the main thing. The photos will look crap anyhow. Looks like I can send them to the new phone via bluetooth.  

Sigh.
  • In lieu of finding the twitter thread...

Who is derekg49? From the Aberdeen FC tweets I thought it was maybe somebody I know in real life, but they’re following a few from here, including the actual BnB account.
  • At a guess, mannaboy.
  • Might be too late with the phone advice, but is it the sort of sim that can be manually trimmed in order to fit?  I used nail scissors on the big chip from my old phone when I switched to a smart phone, chopped it down until it fit and it works fine.  Just don't cut the chip itself - mine's currently got a border of maybe half a millimetre.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah tried cutting as close to the chip as I could and it's still too big. I think it might be too thick as well.
  • Get the wet & dry paper out :)
  • Also a bit late to the party but did you make sure it wasn't just a worn SIM? I've had to replace Vodafone sims before after a while.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    All OK. Wifey went to the Vodafone shop and got moved over onto a new SIM.

Now moaning about the menu being different.
  • Tell her it's not.
  • Hello.

Would a suitably knowledgeable badger be able to give me a super brief overview of what Microsoft's Azure system does? Is it just cloud based hosting/running of an organisation's systems?

Asking on behalf of my brother, who has an interview coming up.

Ta!
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Azure is a pretty substantial suite of products. Azure could refer to lots of things. What's the role and what type of organisation is it with?
  • Hes an accountant so its just an understanding of the products MS offer that he needs. Hes not going for a technical role, the job is with MS.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Cool. Yeah it's basically 'i dont want to have servers in my office anymore i want Amazon AWS, Google, Microsoft to run my servers and i will pay them monthly.' The key part is what those servers do, there are millions of things servers do.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/solutions/

I work in Media & Entertainment which MS are desparate to get more into (Amazon AWS are dominating.) Media & Entertainment is lucrative because they have tons of films/tv programmes in hi-res which are large files which take up lots of space = ££
  • MuseChick
    Show networks
    Twitter
    MuseChick
    Xbox
    MuseChick
    PSN
    MuseChick
    Steam
    musechick

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    In lieu of finding the twitter thread... Who is derekg49? From the Aberdeen FC tweets I thought it was maybe somebody I know in real life, but they’re following a few from here, including the actual BnB account.

It's  AndCallMeCharlie on here
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Definitely not me.
    Things can only get better.
  • Djornson wrote:
    Cool. Yeah it's basically 'i dont want to have servers in my office anymore i want Amazon AWS, Google, Microsoft to run my servers and i will pay them monthly.' The key part is what those servers do, there are millions of things servers do.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/solutions/

I work in Media & Entertainment which MS are desparate to get more into (Amazon AWS are dominating.) Media & Entertainment is lucrative because they have tons of films/tv programmes in hi-res which are large files which take up lots of space = ££

Cheers for the info bud!!!
  • MuseChick wrote:
    Andy wrote:
    In lieu of finding the twitter thread... Who is derekg49? From the Aberdeen FC tweets I thought it was maybe somebody I know in real life, but they’re following a few from here, including the actual BnB account.

It's  AndCallMeCharlie on here

Yeah, I found that out when I was doing the Mario Maker 2 codes. Cheers, though!
  • Where's Bob?
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    I was just thinking the same.

SPOOKY
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Holidays, so probably screeching loudly at some poor fuckers in a hotel bar somewhere.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    About Top Gun or controllers with no batteries or some such shite.
  • As much as I hate the Boris voting mob right now, it's hard not to love Bob and his Englishness. He often says what he thinks but he doesn't think as much as he says, so he just spouts random stuff that pops into his head on the fly.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!