Ask the Bear & Badger
  • My online history is awful, but I did it anyway. I dont think my Sony This Is Living Aids ad was what cost me.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I mean, fuck the huns obv.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Oh god wait
  • I'm proud of the debauched life I've lived thus far.
  • I definitely need to exercise though.
  • Run away from your past then.
  • If anything I'm embracing it with less fucks given.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    If anything I'm embracing it with less fucks given.

This butchering of English is the real disqualifying post.
  • Yeah it's more fucks if I'm honest.
  • nick_md wrote:
    I'm proud of the debauched life I've lived thus far.

Likewise. But then, I have no desire to run for office, be a teacher, or anything else that would require a disclosure certificate.
  • Probably been asked a million times but nothign comes up in search.... has anyone used one of those 'claims guys' type services to check for PPI that they'd recommend? and is it very simple and minimal effort on my side?
    basically i'm fairly sure i don't really have any PPI owed, i've checked a few of the past loans and documents i could find and they were clean, and nothing else 'big' sticks in the memory, but it's maybe worth a go just in case. if it's as simple as giving my name and address(es), they do all the donkey work and take a cut if they find anything, i'd have a go. If i'm meant to give them details of every possible loan, accounts and payments from 20 years ago just in case i over paid by £20, then i don't really have that extra info to hand (or the will to find it all based low expectation of anything in there).
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Don’t use a ‘claims guys’ service. They can fuck you over royally, and it’s really easy to do it yourself.

Aside from the claims services taking a big cut, there are a lot of horror stories about them demanding their ‘cut’ from you as payment before you’ve actually received the payout.

Honestly, doing it yourself is an absolute piece of piss. All the major banks and lenders have an online form for you to ask them to investigate for you. It’s not at all necessary to give them loads of details – the whole point is that they have all that on file already.

I was in exactly the same position as you, and here’s what I did:

Went to my main bank and found their PPI page. Filled in a form with basic personal details (name, address, etc) and ticked the boxes to check for PPI against loans, overdrafts, credit cards, and mortgages.

They sent me a questionnaire each for loans, credit cards, and mortgages. Separate departments, y’see. The forms were more complex, but you’re totally free to leave most of it blank and just say ‘can’t remember’. Once they send you those forms, they already know your history with them – all your old account numbers are listed at the top.

Before I could even fill those in, they phoned me and told me I was definitely owed compensation. That was a 10 minute phone call, with them asking me if I could remember who I spoke to in branch 19 years ago. Because they phoned me and interviewed me, I didn’t have to fill in the questionnaires. At all.

They wrote to me a few weeks later with a full breakdown of everything I had been mis-sold, how much they owed me in refunds, and how much compensation they owed me for financial hardship, plus compound interest over the years. A few days later the money was in my account.

The important thing is to answer their questions the right way: You didn’t realise you even had PPI. Nobody asked whether you wanted protection/insurance. Even if you did know you were taking it – nobody interviewed you about your employment status, sick pay allowance, and redundancy protection. That’s the key to whether you actually needed the insurance.

Tl;dr
    Don’t use a claims service. Go to each bank/lender you remember using, find their online PPI complaints page, and fill in the form. When they get back in touch, if they say you did have PPI with them, remember to say that nobody checked your employment contract for sick pay or redundancy policies. The most you might need to provide is a list of past addresses.
  • There’s a thread on the Martin Lewis money thingy website for ppi.

They basically give you a link to a standard letter and form for you to fill in and then send off to your bank by the email link that every bank involved must provide.  The letter and form is written in such a way that it basically doesn’t give the bank any wriggle room that you may inadvertently provide in your own letter.

It’s a while since I did mine but it seemed like a better way of doing it than just sending off a random letter or by using one of the claims services who are clearly shits.
  • Cheers for the big response pop.
    Funny thing is i don't think i've ever borrowed money from my own bank. However i've done the request like you said, and also my credit card links back to santander, who seem to own everything, so i've put a request into their system too. So maybe they'll show something up. But generally I think I'm already on top of and checked anything that might be 'big'.

I'm just trying a bit of blind fishing really
    Where there might be something in my history, would just be odd bits of store credit for relatively small amounts a long time ago...something like buying our first sofa 15+ years ago on store credit...it would only have been a few hundred total, and i can't even remember if it was DFS or SCS or somewhere else (even then, i'd have checked the math on their 0% credit at the time, and where i have the docs for similar agreements i've always ticked the 'no ppi' box).  I guess it's finding out stuff like that that i was thinking the claims people might be able to do, a deep dive on past credit history that i can't see in my own online stuff.
  • actually, just looking and it seems only banks were liable going back that far (pre 2005) anyway, so wondering about old store credit etc is a bit moot anyway?
    which also seems familiar now i think on it, and would explain why i didn't pursue those things last time i looked into my ppi!
    The joys of having a memory like a sieve!
  • Pretty sure I had unnecessary ppi with a mortgage back in 2005ish, butbive no idea who it was with, and it was a joint mortgage. I suppose I could just submit forms at random and hope one of them hits home.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • My blind fishing was just firing off standard complaint forms with every lender I could remember – hoping they owned or had bought in the debt from someone else who I did use years ago. People like Hitachi Capital, Barclays, etc. It sort of worked – turned up a lot of old accounts I had forgotten – but none of them turned out to have any PPI applied.

Literally everything I had actually paid PPI on turned out to be with my own bank, despite me being absolutely sure I had never taken any.
  • I was certain I’d never had PPI. The cheque for £115 which arrived today says otherwise. Not an earth shattering amount, but better than nothing.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Wifey's phone has at long last given up the ghost...

tWZSoGW.jpg

Her last phone required the user to put the aerial up on it. It's safe to say she doesn't embrace tech or change. It took a year after getting a TiVO to stop moaning about the menu being different from the old clapped out Virgin TV box. (the new menu was "fucking shite").

I have a new 3310 - the rereleased one that came with a pay-as-you-go SIM. Her existing SIM is gi-normous and won't fit. I presume I just need to go to Vodafone and get her contract onto a new SIM that will fit? Will a Vodafone shop do that? Will they be able to get the contacts off her SIM?

I'm stepping on rice paper here - she is not amused.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yes, Vodafone will be able to swap to a smaller SIM.

I don't know about the contacts. What is the problem with the phone? Can you access the menus?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The contacts may or may not be saved on the SIM, it depends on the settings in the phone. Assuming they are on the SIM, then phone shops should have a device to extract the data and put it on another SIM.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The problem is the thing won't connect to the network any more. Otherwise it still works.  Robust wee bast - no matter how many times it has been dropped and falls apart it just goes together like a lego phone.

Anyhow - I have found an SD card that fits it and I'm backing everything up on it..  :)

The SIM actually almost fits - just a bit too big, I presume she can just move her contract on a newer SIM.  (confirmed by @Dante)
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    The contacts may or may not be saved on the SIM, it depends on the settings in the phone. Assuming they are on the SIM, then phone shops should have a device to extract the data and put it on another SIM.

Phone shops used to have them but they've been obselete for a long time. You might be lucky, but I wouldn't bank on it. Phone shop will be able to offer you a number change on a new SIM card that fits. There's no reason you couldn't use a scalpel to shave the old sim down to size and see if you can get the contacts off it if the other options aren't available. I'd do this before the number change happens as it might render the old SIM unreadable by newer phones
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Oooh, if the phone's working just not connecting, then can y transfer them via bluetooth??
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I reckon that phone predates the Danish king that Bluetooth is named after let alone the tech.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Most new phones don't have an IR blaster, so that option might be out as well
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Got it backed up to an SD card and have backed THAT up to my PC.

A factory reset hasn't worked either. :(
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Actually the phone isn't as old as I thought - there is bluetooth on it but fuck messing about with that. You would need to pair it with a device that offers a compatible synch function. Wouldn't play with my S7 Edge. Got the backup anyhow.

She must have had a phone between this and the one with the aerial!!  :)

Looks like it's the new 3310 for her. Will call into Vodafone tomorrow to get the SIM sorted.

Cheers lads.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Flora has has a grand of time with the steam world games. She didn't like Roguelikes, now she's game. She didn't like RTS games, now she's game. Having finished Quest she's now open to the concept of an RPG. Given she's predominantly on the Switch, are there any recs?
  • Start off with one of the FF's? Disgaea, at a push? Octopath????

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!