Ask the Bear & Badger
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    As much as I hate the Boris voting mob right now, it's hard not to love Bob and his Englishness. He often says what he thinks but he doesn't think as much as he says, so he just spouts random stuff that pops into his head on the fly.

That’s not a particular characteristic of Englishness, is it?
  • Yossarian wrote:
    As much as I hate the Boris voting mob right now, it's hard not to love Bob and his Englishness. He often says what he thinks but he doesn't think as much as he says, so he just spouts random stuff that pops into his head on the fly.
    That’s not a particular characteristic of Englishness, is it?

Nah I guess not, although I can't imagine the Scots, Irish or Welsh voting in a Tory goverment anytime soon, so maybe they think a little more than we do as a collective.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Bob is an Ilse of Man man.

I didnt realise until a few months back that the Isle of Man isnt in the EU. Which likely explains why it gets away with being a tax haven.
  • Also the Welsh voted whole 52.5% for Brexit despite being heavily funded by the EU.
    As a country or even region they will be most fucked by it.
    The Welsh are thick.
  • It's English enough that Jeremy Clarkson had a second home there.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Also the Welsh voted whole heartedly for Brexit despite being heavily funded by the EU. As a country or even region they will be most fucked by it. The Welsh are thick.

They did, but even they wouldn't vote Boris in.
  • Of course he does, he was being paid by the BBC, it's a prerequisite they have a tax haven.

Although tbf, any petrol head with money would be keen on a home on the IoM. Normally bikers but there is fun to be head for car nuts as well.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Also the Welsh voted whole heartedly for Brexit despite being heavily funded by the EU. As a country or even region they will be most fucked by it. The Welsh are thick.

They did, but even they wouldn't vote Boris in.

Worse, they will enable the Boris Farage coalition.
  • Maybe, although the unemployed get a lot more leeway tbh. I'd vote out too if there was no hope in sight.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Who here is any good re: sick notes and work etc?

Basically my workplace is no longer going to ehonourany sick notes which state that the colleague should be on amended duties, aka off frontline phone work and only on emails. This doesn't matter if its depression, if you get a doctors letter etc.

If you then refuse to do the phone work, they're telling you to either resign, or go on sick pay. Is this a usual thing and secondly is this right? I ask as two people have already broke down in work today as their sicknote was due to run out and a new one won't be honoured, and personally (not posted here) I've had several breakdowns at work (primarily stuff away from work) and have one until October but have basically been told in a roundabout way by management that maybe this isn't the job for me and to look elsewhere.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’d be amazed if this is allowed, it sounds like a pretty clear case of constructive dismissal to me, but I don’t know the ins and outs of it.

I’m guessing you don’t have a union, but it might be worth looking into joining one.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Aye no union, not a hope of one ever happening as turnover is so frequent
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I believe you can join as an individual, the whole workplace doesn’t need to be unionised.

@Gremill may be able to provide more info.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    By "sick pay" what does that equate to?  Statutory minimum, without having to go in?  If so (IANAL) maybe that's something they could argue, that they don't have alternate full-pay work so that's the best they can offer?

I'm only guessing / playing devil's advocate though.  Obviously total BS for those involvement, so I hope they come to their senses rather than degrading what already sound like crappy conditions.
  • If they cant agree any changes to your role, then they have to class you as not fit for work. Your fit note is stating you are fit only if changes are made.

I'm fairly certain that telling someone they have to resign would be illegal though .
  • Who here is any good re: sick notes and work etc? Basically my workplace is no longer going to ehonourany sick notes which state that the colleague should be on amended duties, aka off frontline phone work and only on emails. This doesn't matter if its depression, if you get a doctors letter etc. If you then refuse to do the phone work, they're telling you to either resign, or go on sick pay. Is this a usual thing and secondly is this right? I ask as two people have already broke down in work today as their sicknote was due to run out and a new one won't be honoured, and personally (not posted here) I've had several breakdowns at work (primarily stuff away from work) and have one until October but have basically been told in a roundabout way by management that maybe this isn't the job for me and to look elsewhere.

Sorry life's been shit DS, and that your employer's even shittier.  It sounds like they're following the letter of the rules, but not the spirit.  Essentially the employer is supposed to do what they can to honour the guidance on the Fit Note, but if they can't agree any changes, then they are supposed to treat the note as if it says they're not fit for work at all.
  • This is highly unusual by the way. Most places will make reasonable accomodations. Since you have off phone work available as part of your role, its strikes me a a pretty reasonable change to make. Its not full time, its for the duration of your note.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It does feel like if this went to a tribunal, there’s a decent chance of beating it (why could they make the adjustments last time but not now? What’s changed?) and a union rep might be able to argue that on your behalf and stop it even getting that far, but it might take fighting.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Cheers lads, I was kinda expecting the same thing. They're following to the tee exactly what they can do.

I'd understand it somewhat if the call queues were hammered (we're out of sale) and there were no emails, but we're currently backlogged in emails by about 6000 with a minimum number working them, so its not like a lack of work has brought this about.

But then its always been run pathetically.
  • I dont know much about sickness stuff but nowhere can tell you to resign.
    They have to go through the proper procedure.

If you have any evidence such as emails that encourage resignation definitely bank them as it would be constructive dismissal.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Sadly they're very clever in their wording and it's only face to face. They basically say that maybe it's not the 'right environment' for someone in my, or other colleagues situation.
  • Cunts.
    Unfortunately I doubt you or anyone else involved are in a position to test them.

My Uncle works for Morrisons, just a standard shop floor job to pay the bills while he waits for his pensions to kick in next year.
    He regularly gets similar shit from them but will tell them "sack me then" nothing ever happens.
    When my Grandma died they tried to get him to come in the evening after the funeral. Told them to go fuck themselves, literally, the manager has avoided him since.
    A couple of years ago he had boxing day booked off, they said things had changed and he had to be in at 5am. He said nothing and walked out of the office, didnt work boxing day, noone said anything.

These cunt managers are bullies who rely on scaring people who need the work to survive.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yup fucking hate such shit. Little man syndrome innit.

Once back off holiday I'm looking for an office job or something. Data entry or summat dull for a couple years.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Best bit I haven't mentioned is I had six days annual.leave booked off a couple weeks back. Broke down in work prior to it, so had two days off before the leave, felt like shit throughout and ended up.having two.more off after the leave.

They then removed my annual leave and turned it into off sick, so.rather than four days off it comes to 8, at which point I need a sick note despite not seeing the doctor as it was a depressive episode which I've had multiples of through the years.

So I have a disciplinary on Wednesday due to this now.
  • Tell them you have a prepared letter to send to the press about how Dunhelm treat staff with mental health issues, then insist on a written report stating the exact terms of the disciplinary signed by your line manager and the head of your office.
  • Know them feels, DS. Currently getting fucked about major in work cos I had the temerity to be off for ten days due to my knee blowing out at a work charity football match. The cruel irony of it all isn't lost on me, but blah blah policy this and process that, I can't win. Just have to laugh cos if I don't I'll break down.
  • Non working days don't count towards sick days.

On what grounds were the holiday days removed, and did they inform you they would be doing this prior to doing so?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    If you are sick over your holiday, you can claim the holiday days back from your employer, but it doesn’t seem right that your employer can unilaterally decide that you are claiming them back and demand a sick note from you.
  • The problem with the system (especially with big employers) is that they can carry on like this even knowing full well they are in the wrong, because the recourse basically would be tribunal, and they know that losing that is relatively cheap, for new in/low paid employees.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Non working days don't count towards sick days.

On what grounds were the holiday days removed, and did they inform you they would be doing this prior to doing so?

I wasnt told, it was just done without comment. I have the holidays back but am.down as sick, so will be raising it tomorrow about nobody informing me.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!