Ask the Bear & Badger
  • @pop
    Yeah the cleaning is a big issue. Ceramic are similarly easy. My current one is the worst, harder to clean than gas because it retains the heat and just bakes in anything that spills on it.
  • Old-fashioned electric hobs are the worst. They’re the reason people went nuts for microwave ovens in the ’80s.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I probably have more pans than I need really.
    Currently I have a large saute with lid. That is my go to and has been great, but its Tefal and the nonstick is going, I wont go for that finish again but it was a great way to learn to cook.

Frying pan, whatevs it is cheap.

I think I only really need one actual sauce pan really. I cant remember ever using more than one at a time despite owning three.

I could live with one mid sized sauce pan and a saute pan.

I thought this was a good list

https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/12/gift-guide-essential-pots-and-pans-presents-for-home-cooks.html
  • poprock wrote:
    Old-fashioned electric hobs are the worst. They’re the reason people went nuts for microwave ovens in the ’80s.

Yeah I can definitely see that. We always had gas (pardon) so I never understood the pain. Like I say I would still prefer gas, I like the visual/audio feedback and toast tortilla wraps on them is the best.
  • Cheers for that noface.
    I agree across the board on those. I have a few other bits like a casserole dish and a dutchie. A few of those I can double up on for now.

Forgot I have a cast iron griddle pan as well. I hardly use it but it is good for steak. I also had one of those cast iron griddle plates but the shit hob heated it unevenly and it cracked.

Edit: That list seems to be missing a roasting tray/pan. Might be because it is an American list but I think any British kitchen will want a good vessel for a Sunday roast.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have had gas for such a long time now I have no knowledge of alternatives. We have a rather nice 5 ring Neff one. The centre one is a big 'un for woks etc.

All black glass and sex.

No idea as to price. Was all part of the extension + new kitchen a few years ago now.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The good to about the inefficiency of gas is it makes the kitchen cost in the depths of winter. Not so good in summer.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I wasn’t allowed gas when we renovated, despite having it beforehand. The kitchen team came in and said that under current regulations my kitchen is too small and too poorly ventilated. They couldn’t legally fit a gas hob. Induction was my only option.

New builds aren’t allowed gas hobs (or gas boilers) at all. Part of a Government drive to reduce fossil fuel use.
    Spoiler:
  • Cosy kitchen, dead planet. Swings and roundabouts.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Ironically I also had proper ventilation installed at the same time, with an external flue. Yet still …
  • What's the law on sending bodily fluids in the post?
    Gamertag: gremill
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Let's not be too hasty, hear the man out.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Have you got another birthday coming up like?
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Hopefully. Though the Darwin award is a constant worry.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    What's the law on sending bodily fluids in the post?

How precious are they?
  • I’ve definitely seen pig semen delivered by the Royal Mail, so … not a problem I guess?
  • From the Royal Mail’s ‘Prohibited & Restricted Items’ leaflet:
    Biological substances
    (diagnostic specimens including urine, blood, faeces and animal remains).
    Packaging guidelines:
    The total sample volume/mass in any parcel must not exceed 50ml/50g. All biological substances must be posted in packaging that complies with Packaging Instruction 650, such as our Safebox product.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    From the Royal Mail’s ‘Prohibited & Restricted Items’ leaflet:
    Biological substances (diagnostic specimens including urine, blood, faeces, animal remains and our precious bodily fluids). Packaging guidelines: The total sample volume/mass in any parcel must not exceed 50ml/50g. All biological substances must be posted in packaging that complies with Packaging Instruction 650, such as our Safebox product.
  • I want to print a small A5 brochure as part of a joke I am playing on my girlfriend. I have already designed each individual page of this brochure in Spark Post, but I need to order the images so that each A4 print out (double sided) has 4 A5 images on it. What is the best way of doing this? Im trying to copy and paste images into google docs but it's being a bit of a nightmare. Is that just because I'm useless? There must be an easy way of doing this
  • Page layout properties. Something like that.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yeah I'm sure there's booklet printing options in Word, or openoffice, lotusnnotes whatever folk use nowadays
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Cheers. I just went to the copy shop and they figured it all out for me
  • This was gonna go in the ranting thread but someone might be able to offer some helpful suggestions. Wife was putting up the Christmas decs yesterday with the kids whilst I was out running. She decided to move the entire AV system to make room for the tree. She didn’t need to, the tree wasn’t even up when I got back. I could’ve moved the stuff. Carefully. :-/

So anyway, later on I noticed the sound seemed a bit quieter than usual. Turns out the RCA cable that goes to the amp has snapped off inside the socket. Didn’t realise at first, raised a warranty ticket as it’s still in warranty. It’s gonna take some time and effort to return (plus I’ve got to pay to send it back apparently) Now I’ve realised what’s up, I’ve managed to extract the plastic internals of the RCA connector, but the metal sheath is still in there. Any thoughts on extracting that? Or might I get it to work with it in? Concerned that this problem might not be covered by the warranty.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Put some superglue on a cocktail stick, poke the sheath, wait to dry, hopefully remove.

BE CAREFUL NOT TO GET THE GLUE ANYWHERE IN THR SOCKET THO, OBVSSSSSS
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • A photo might help.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Roujin wrote:
    Put some superglue on a cocktail stick, poke the sheath, wait to dry, hopefully remove.

BE CAREFUL NOT TO GET THE GLUE ANYWHERE IN THR SOCKET THO, OBVSSSSSS

Yeah this is what I was going to suggest.
  • That definitely sounds like warranty invalidation type activity. If I do send it back I don’t want there to be traces of glue.

In the pic below, the bit on the end of the pin is the plastic I extracted, the pin on the left is an example of what’s still stuck in (I broke it from the other end of the cable to practice my extraction technique - heated up safety pin!)

ED5-E32-DE-1-F71-4-E04-B54-A-1-FCDC1990-AAF.jpg

And this is where it’s stuck:

DF7302-D0-1448-4650-BA34-C6-E938841290.jpg
  • classic-pointed-tweezers.jpg
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I’ll see what options the wife’s got.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!