Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    And now it works. We'll done DD.
  • Have issues with BBC News 'cos of their forced login thing and the way they handle auth tokens. Not all browsers, not all web connections, but frequent enough to be annoying. Was good tho, broke me of my BBC News = primary source shit habit.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    What's your primary source now?
  • Impartial non biased sources like the Daily Mail, or Breitbart.
  • That new fact checking twitter account
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I'll set 'em up...
  • Use afp and Reuters feeds for headlines and commentary-free (theoretically) news and updates.

Generally rely on named commentators for opinion and features. Twitter can lead to interesting stuff and counter points etc.
  • Mrs wants a small phone with good camera and lots of space for photos (seperate SD card is fine.) Doesn't have to be the newest or fastest with all the crazy cool shit. I use a Moto G6 which is good enough performance wise but camera is crap and too big for her. Any ideas? Google Pixel 3a?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The Google pixel 4 apparently has the best camera.

My wife is the same. Wants a good camera but isn't really bothered about the rest of the phone. I'm considering getting her a good compact camera (with some sort of WiFi connectivity so it automatically backs up her pictures), because the quality of image you get from a £300 - 400 compact will be massively better than any phone at a similar price point.
  • She has a decent seperate camera for gigs n that but wants all the Instagram Boomerang shit whatever it is so she can put every 5 minutes of my children's lives onto the internet instantly :D :D
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I'm surprised there's not an android camera that has app store access so you've got all those apps built in, but have a top camera to go with it. That would surely be an Instagramers wet dream?
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Pixel 3a had the best camera before the 4 came along. B had his for half a year now and we still can't leave anywhere when it's dark because he needs to take pictures and then goes "look at this, this camera takes pictures of things we can't even see that well ourselves".

So yeah, if 3a was already on your mind it's a good one.
  • The one Gav has, I can't remember the model.
  • Huawei p20 pro - since been replaced on the market by the p30 pro
  • I've got the mate 20 Pro, seems pretty good.
  • I've just got the P30 Pro from Wow camera for £492 put it on an interest free credit card for 24 months and bought a Basic Vodaphone Sim for £8 a month for 5gb data unlimited calls unlimited texts which works out at £28.80/ month

It's a lovely phone and the camera is out of this world. Did a comparison today with my mates new 11 Pro and he came away underwhelmed by his phones night mode and zoom in comparison. Both still take lovely shots mind you.

Mates got the Pixel 3a and that takes a lovely photo too but the handset feels a bit plasticky.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    HawBawJaws wrote:
    I've got the mate 20 Pro, seems pretty good.

Being from the deepest whitest south, do you think there's a "mush 20 Pro" variant I could get hold of?
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Also, come to London and drink beer on the 20th of December. We have JonB and MisterCrayon joining us.

Yes.

• Let us talk of hobs.

In the past I have always had a gas hob which to me is the optimum form of hob.

Currently I have a steel plate hob which is a massive pile of shite. Stupidly slow to heat up, impossible to adjust and will stay hot for a good hour after. Plus it has stains welded on from previous users and the usual worn off metal etched markings.

I was going to install a gas hob but for the time I am planning on staying here it isnt really worth paying to have it plumbed in. Plus whoever I sell to will likely rent the place, gas isn't attractive to landlords because of the fire risk.

I would still like to replace the loathsome shit cunt hob I have.
    So my options are ceramic or induction. I think I will have to replace all my pans bar one for induction, plus they are a bit more expensive.

How good are ceramic hobs at heating up and adjusting? The best I can find online is "quicker than plate hobs" but that could be anything from a brief delay to an hour.
    I can handle a short delay if it saves me a bit of money.
  • Induction are ace. Ceramic are a bit shit.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • You can buy a single induction hob btw and just plug it in. Brilliant things.
  • Yeah saw those single ones but I think I will be happier replacing the whole hob. I wont be here a long time but still at least a year.

Induction seems a better option. My sauce pans are shit so no attachment there. My main big pan is induction but needs replacing anyway. My frying pan would be the only one being chucked that is good but it is nothing special.
  • The thing about induction is it makes you buy decent pots a pans. Ones that last decades. Heavy based stuff that heats evenly and doesn't have burn spots, but also retains heat which means you need a much lower power level to cook stuff, although it takes a little longer to get to temp.
  • Buy cast iron but also these.

https://www.trouva.com/products/stellar-stellar-5-piece-stainless-steel-cookware-set

Will last forever and no plastic/rubber to worry about. I've used them on the open fire in the living room without issue.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Does cast iron work on induction hobs? I had assumed they wouldn't.
  • Iron is magnetic. They work really well.
  • Yep. Everything SG said. Also, induction hobs are absolutely piss easy to keep clean, on account of being a single smooth glass surface. Bonus points if you can get an induction hob which has physical dials rather than touch controls. I found touch controls really annoying when I had them.

Induction hob tech has moved on a fair bit and the cooking surface these days is a glass/ceramic hybrid. They’re ace.
  • I probably have more pans than I need really.
    Currently I have a large saute with lid. That is my go to and has been great, but its Tefal and the nonstick is going, I wont go for that finish again but it was a great way to learn to cook.

Frying pan, whatevs it is cheap.

I think I only really need one actual sauce pan really. I cant remember ever using more than one at a time despite owning three.

I could live with one mid sized sauce pan and a saute pan.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Iron is magnetic. They work really well.

For some reason I thought there needed to be two different types of metal. Not sure where I got that idea from.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!