Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    So, somebody with a team can add me if I've created an account? I'll need it for videoconferencing or teleconferencing with different groups.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yeah, I guess whoever the team administrator is can add you using whatever email address you've registered with.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Ah, I see. Cheers. But when I initially opened it, it let me into settings and stuff but now it won't do anything at all.
  • Handheld hoovers! Preferably cordless i guess but not essential. Tempted by a Shark DuoClean which doubles as upright and handheld for £200. Any advise/thoughts?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    This is what I see when I open the mobile app.

fLknCNe.jpg

If I try and sign in it says something like "you haven't been added to any teams yet".
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I see that too and it asks to verify my identity. I enter the code it sends but that's as far as I get. I suppose so that if someone invites me to a group then it should work.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Works fine for me but its a corporate email addy and im in about 12 team chats
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    They need to either issue you an email address as one of their licenses on their own domains, or add your own to their license list, pretty easy job for IT server admin but I know those guys have long queues
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Djornson wrote:
    Handheld hoovers! Preferably cordless i guess but not essential. Tempted by a Shark DuoClean which doubles as upright and handheld for £200. Any advise/thoughts?

We've had a Shark for about 18 months and it's like a dust sucking Transformer. If it comes with a couple of batteries £200 seems a fair price.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Re MS Teams - you might be able to use a non-corporate microsoft.com account.

Anyone can create a free account and get OneDrive storage for example. I suspect it will integrate easily. You could probably synch your google stuff with that.

I reckon support of other accounts will be forthcoming. Teams is still quite young in the product set - we are only starting to use it now ourselves.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Apologies if this is a common question but, considering the role he performs involves very little butlering and much more equipment and costume maintenance, would it not be more accurate to describe Alfred as Batman’s batman?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I've never seen him drive him anywhere
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Butler still works for me.

A gentleman’s gentleman = his butler. The Batman’s Batman = his butler.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Anyone use Microsoft Teams? Does it work with a Hotmail account? I've installed it seems to be telling me I'm not a part of Teams even though I'm logged in. Hitting the link in the email just seems to start a loop of sending a code which just ends up sending more emails. The link in another email tries to open the app but it immediately closes down. Trying to use the web app tells me I need to enable DOM storage. The android app won't open anything either. No idea what's going on.

I use it, but it's under my work email and therefore easily linked with other apps, unfortunately.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    Apologies if this is a common question but, considering the role he performs involves very little butlering and much more equipment and costume maintenance, would it not be more accurate to describe Alfred as Batman’s batman?

In the comic books he still functions very much as a butler, particularly in terms of organising Bruce Wayne's day and meeting people at his door.

Comic books have more time for Bruce Wayne to breathe, and movies don't. Therefore in the film he's more of a "getting shit done" guy.
  • I think it’s fair to say that a butler’s role is to be the ‘getting shit done guy’.
  • Depends, if it's in the house then yes, but if it's sorting out the master of the house, that's a valet isn't it? Jeeves wasn't a butler, for example, he was a valet I think?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I think the difference between a batman and a butler is really only context. However I mention driving as in modern times a request for a batman would be frowned upon, so an officer's driver fulfils that role as well
  • ‘Butler’ just means the lead male servant. The boss of all the other servants. The one who gets to be the face of the whole serving squad. But DS is right, it’s technically the lead of the house’s serving staff (although ‘house’ isn’t limited to a building, but could cover whole estates or even ‘anywhere your family go’). Whereas a valet is a man’s personal servant.

I don’t think one would ever have both. It’s more about which style of service one prefers.
  • Djornson wrote:
    Handheld hoovers! Preferably cordless i guess but not essential. Tempted by a Shark DuoClean which doubles as upright and handheld for £200. Any advise/thoughts?

You can get 50 quid off it.
  • poprock wrote:
    ‘Butler’ just means the lead male servant. The boss of all the other servants. The one who gets to be the face of the whole serving squad. But DS is right, it’s technically the lead of the house’s serving staff (although ‘house’ isn’t limited to a building, but could cover whole estates or even ‘anywhere your family go’). Whereas a valet is a man’s personal servant. I don’t think one would ever have both. It’s more about which style of service one prefers.

I've got both tyvm.
  • Rats are not serving staff, Nick.
  • Not even undead ones?
  • poprock wrote:
    ‘Butler’ just means the lead male servant. The boss of all the other servants. The one who gets to be the face of the whole serving squad. But DS is right, it’s technically the lead of the house’s serving staff (although ‘house’ isn’t limited to a building, but could cover whole estates or even ‘anywhere your family go’). Whereas a valet is a man’s personal servant.

I don’t think one would ever have both. It’s more about which style of service one prefers.

My original question was facetious but, if we’re going down this road...

A butler is the most senior of the male staff, yes, but his job isn’t ‘just’ that he’s the boss of all the other servants. He has a very particular role, being in charge of the pantry, wine cellar and dining room. (The word’s etymology is in butts of alcohol.) The bulk of the male servants would be footmen, who would have varying roles, such as answering the door, maintaining cutlery and crockery, or potentially valeting.

The most famous butlers we think of, like Alfred, Jeeves, or Stevens, had all been butlers in their past, but are now essentially working as valets and general footmen to their masters. (Stevens arguably gets closest given that he gets his master to employ his father, a former butler, and a housekeeper, making his own role more specific again.) I suppose one might still refer to one’s servant as ‘butler’ out of respect for the ‘rank’ they held.

Batman is a military term, and not really a role in household service. I gather some of the gentry kept their batmen on as servants after leaving the forces, in a role as a personal valet, so the name might’ve stuck.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Re MS Teams - you might be able to use a non-corporate microsoft.com account. Anyone can create a free account and get OneDrive storage for example. I suspect it will integrate easily. You could probably synch your google stuff with that. I reckon support of other accounts will be forthcoming. Teams is still quite young in the product set - we are only starting to use it now ourselves.

This driving me nuts now and I absolutely need to get this working for tomorrow. It seems to be stuck in a loop of telling me I'm not in teams yet but I can set up for my organisation. Then clicking the only option sends me to a log in and sends an email which sends me back to the not in teams yet screen. So I can't set it up. I can be invited to a meeting no problem but I can't set one up. When I first set it up I briefly had access to a page with options and so forth, and it asked me if I want to change my org or something. None of these options appear any more, only the screen I said, which also has a log out option I trued making an Outlook email too but that does the same thing. It seems I'm not the only person with problem but I can't see any solution. Not getting this figured out will cost me a lot of money.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message

To use Microsoft Teams, you need an Office 365 account with the appropriate Office 365 license plan listed below. Talk to your company's IT administrator to get an account or sign your company up for Office 365.
    What is the availability for Education and Government customers?

Microsoft Teams is available in all Office 365 A1 suite licensing: Office 365 A1, Office 365 A1 Plus, and Office 365 A5, as well as existing Office 365 A3 customers who purchased E3 prior to its retirement.

Do you have an office 365 account, or does the person/company you are trying to connect to?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The company has Teams, they use it all the time. It's a big company. I'm using the free version. I don't have office 365.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    You need to get the Team Administrator to add you as a guest.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/MicrosoftTeams/guest-access
    Guest access lets you add individual users from outside your organization to your teams and channels in Microsoft Teams.

To compare external access (federation) with guest access (and decide which one you should use), read Communicate with users from other organizations in Teams.

If you're ready to turn on guest access in your organization, start with the Guest access checklist.
    Guest access overview

Guest access allows teams in your organization to collaborate with people outside your organization by granting them access to existing teams and channels in Teams. Anyone with a business or consumer email account, such as Outlook, Gmail, or others, can participate as a guest in Teams with full access to team chats, meetings, and files. As the Teams admin, you control which features guests can (and can't) use in Teams - check out Manage guest access.

Guest access is an org-wide setting in Teams and is turned off by default. Guest access is subject to Azure AD and Office 365 service limits.

Important

Guest users follow Teams Org-wide settings for the coexistence Upgrade mode. This can't be changed.
    Licensing for guest access

Guest access is included with all Office 365 Business Premium, Office 365 Enterprise, and Office 365 Education subscriptions. No additional Office 365 license is necessary. Teams doesn't restrict the number of guests you can add. However, the total number of guests that can be added to your tenant is based on what your Azure AD licensing allows - usually 5 guests per licensed user. For more information, see Azure AD B2B collaboration licensing.

Note

Users in your organization who have standalone Office 365 subscription plans only, such as Exchange Online Plan 2, cannot be invited as guests to your organization because Teams considers these users to belong to the same organization. For these users to use Teams, they must be assigned an Office 365 Business Premium, Office 365 Enterprise, or Office 365 Education subscription.
    Who is a guest?

A guest is someone who isn't an employee, student, or member of your organization. They don't have a school or work account with your organization. For example, guests may include partners, vendors, suppliers, or consultants. Anyone who is not part of your organization can be added as guest in Teams. This means that anyone with a business account (that is, an Azure Active Directory account) or consumer email account (with Outlook.com, Gmail.com or others) can participate as a guest in Teams, with full access to teams and channel experiences.

To learn more about what a guest can and can't do, read Authorize guest access in Microsoft Teams. Or check out the comparison of team member and guest capabilities table.

Finally, all guests in Teams are covered by the same compliance and auditing protection as the rest of Office 365, and can be managed securely within Azure AD.
    Why use guest access?

With guest access, organizations that use Teams can provide access to teams, documents in channels, resources, chats, and applications to their partners, while maintaining complete control over their own corporate data. All guests in Teams are covered by the same compliance and auditing protection as the rest of Office 365, and guests can be managed securely within Azure AD.
    Understand the limitations for guests

The guest experience has limitations by design. Make sure you understand the guest experience so you don't try to fix something that isn't a problem. For example, here's a list of some of the functionality that isn't available to a guest in Microsoft Teams:

OneDrive for Business
    People search outside of Teams
    Calendar, Scheduled Meetings, or Meeting Details
    PSTN
    Organization chart
    Create or revise a team
    Browse for a team
    Upload files to a person-to-person chat
    Currently, Teams supports only State 1 and State 2 types of guest users as defined by Azure B2B

For a full list of what a guest can and can't do in Teams, see the comparison of team member and guest capabilities table. To learn more about guest access at the Office 365 level, read Adding guests to Office 365 Groups.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I can't really do that. I need to be able to set up groups and start meetings and invite them into my groups with my materials. I can't ask to be a guest really. If I bought the business essentials pack, would it let me do that? But anyway, according to the list of characteristics the free version should allow me to do that anyway.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!