Ask the Bear & Badger
  • Unsurprisingly the Linux USB didn't boot. Should really raise the priority of USB booting when a PC is healthy rather than wait til it's needed. I've reached out to a local repair shop to see if they can do anything. :(
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Coinciding with his 65th birthday this month, my dad is finally going to make a proper effort to quit smoking. Not before fucking time, especially at the moment, so it'll be a big weight off my mind if he manages it. As a bonus, my daft wee brother is also going to knock it in solidarity. Double win!

The problem is, one thing he absolutely will not be able to kick is the weed. It's just about all that keeps him going (that and a steady supply of beer), and is definitely the main thing keeping him on rolling baccy. He's made noises about turning to edibles instead, but I know that'll cost him a fortune and the kind of graft he'll immediately get bored of, most likely to turn back to smoking. This has happened before. 

I'm wondering about getting him a wee pipe or something similar for the grass, just as an alternative to hours of baking, but something that'll stop him needing to turn back to rollies. Do any more knowledgeable badgers have any suggestions or recommendations? Does such a thing even exist? Yours innocently, etc etc.
  • I gather vaping hash is a popular option nowadays. There's definitely peeps here that do that.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Get him a good vape for weed. You can get cheap ones you use a lighter or flame with, but you're probably better getting a totally self contained electric one so he doesn't need any of the cigarette paraphernalia. I have a Pax, which was expensive, but you don't need tobacco or lighters or papers or anything, and it works with weed, hash, whatever. They work great and there is no sense of smoking with them.
  • I've got a little standard pipe I sometimes use, but like your dad I'm a sucker for a joint, so would always end up buying baccy, then weed runs out but baccy doesn't, tough to quit.

I haven't any cigarettes/rollies in 5 weeks now, aside from two I think each with a beer and nabbed off a friend.

I do find a joint much more enjoyable than a pipe/vape for weed but when lockdown's done and I can call my guy again, I'll be trying to go full-pipe.

I don't think I've helped there much, sorry.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Isn’t vaping also bad for the lungs? Pretty sure lung damage stats shot up as vaping took off.
    Things can only get better.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It probably is if you're substituting it for smoking fags, but for an occasional blast of weed I'm sure it's ok.
  • The problems in the states linked to marijuana vaping were all due to people buying cheap chinese illegal mixtures, I thought? Can't recall where I heard it tho.

First article found - proceed at your own risk ofc.

https://www.vox.com/2019/10/28/20936888/vaping-lung-illness-symptoms-death-cdc-report

The vape products, the CDC said, “were acquired from informal sources such as friends or illicit in-person and online dealers.” 

I'll just stick to burning bud without tobacci
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yar, mine just takes buds or hash. It doesn't take any pre-made chemically stuff.
  • Thanks for all the responses, dead helpful. Kow, sounds like the thing you've got might be a nice option to look at. Do you have a link to where to research/acquire it?
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Yeah it was the CDC stuff I recall, good to know you toking badgers are safe!
    Things can only get better.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    https://www.pax.com/

I have the Pax3
  • I think the tobacco industry has an obvious interest in lobbying to say vaping (regular, not THC) is bad for you, but all advice from the UK health officials has been that's it's vastly better for you than tabs.
  • I reckon it’s fair to say that inhaling anything other than air has some element of risk … but that we know tobacco/nicotine definitely does a shit-ton of lasting damage.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Hodge360 wrote:
    Unsurprisingly the Linux USB didn't boot. Should really raise the priority of USB booting when a PC is healthy rather than wait til it's needed. I've reached out to a local repair shop to see if they can do anything. :(

:(

If the files are valuable - there are people who can take a drive and get the files off it.

They might be able to flash the BIOS EEPROM with a basic BIOS to get things going again.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    I think the tobacco industry has an obvious interest in lobbying to say vaping (regular, not THC) is bad for you, but all advice from the UK health officials has been that's it's vastly better for you than tabs.

nope, they see it as a gateway into smoking, they have all set up "lifestyle brands" to get around tbacco sponsorship and advertising rules and many of thise "lifestyle brands" promote vaping
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Fair do's. I could've sworn I read contrary to that a few years back, but yeah that was a few years back.

@pop I'm not sure nicotine in itself is bad for you? Probably like anything best to not have it (and I know pure forms are lethal), but in fags it's the carbon monoxide and tar that are the real killers, I think?
  • Where's Yoss when we need him.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Fair do's. I could've sworn I read contrary to that a few years back, but yeah that was a few years back. @pop I'm not sure nicotine in itself is bad for you? Probably like anything best to not have it (and I know pure forms are lethal), but in fags it's the carbon monoxide and tar that are the real killers, I think?

Could be, might have read two opposing opinion pieces that read the same situations very differently
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    I think the tobacco industry has an obvious interest in lobbying to say vaping (regular, not THC) is bad for you, but all advice from the UK health officials has been that's it's vastly better for you than tabs.

Doesn't the nicotine for vapes come from the tobacco industry?

• nick_md wrote:
    @pop I'm not sure nicotine in itself is bad for you? Probably like anything best to not have it (and I know pure forms are lethal), but in fags it's the carbon monoxide and tar that are the real killers, I think?

Aye, you’re absolutely right. Lazy phrasing from me, sorry. Nicotine’s just the addictive element, innit.
  • I think the tobacco industry has an obvious interest in lobbying to say vaping (regular, not THC) is bad for you, but all advice from the UK health officials has been that's it's vastly better for you than tabs.
    Doesn't the nicotine for vapes come from the tobacco industry?

Yeah they are all over it in general. It has barely any of the marketing limitations of tobacco products as well.
    British American Tobacco own Vuse, Glo, Velo and Vype.

Imperial brands (JSP, Lambert & Butler etc) own Blu Vape which is one of the biggest brands here.
  • Who owns HeadzBuzz Mandem Juuuice? :)

But yeah colour me corrected, didn't realise tobacci was all up in it, makes sense I suppose.
  • Hahaha
    What's his face, the old forumite who liked fighting.
  • Yeah thats the one.
    He did vape juice right? Or was he just vaping beard oil?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Beard oil I think. Was it crazy uncle or something?
  • Hah, wasn't a reference to him (perm?), more that in Vape emporiums all the brands seem to be Keray-Z Name
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Hahaha What's his face, the old forumite who liked fighting.

The guy who carried a combat knife in his car I recall
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Hey, he never started fights, only finished them.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!