Ask the Bear & Badger
  • I bought me and the kids mountain bikes a couple of months ago.  I know someone who is big into it so he guided me a bit on bike choice.  Afaik the hybrid bikes aren’t really very good for anything.  They’re ropey off road and ropey on it - kinda the worst of both worlds so pick a type and go from there.  You’re defo slower when you have to go on a road on a mb than you would be on a road bike, but then once you get on trails and in woodland and fields there’s really nothing like it.

So my advice would be mountain bikes unless you’re defo ONLY doing road biking.
  • I used to ride a mountain bike on the road, and then switched to a hybrid, and I just wouldn't go back. I would never ever buy a road bike, because the handlebars are the dumbest thing in the world if you aren't planning on entering the Tour de France.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Hmm, had a hardtail with lockable front forks, and switched the tyres for smaller knobbles and it was fine on road. But the rolling resistance is a big deal. If I was buying a bike now, it'd be a hybrid as there's no trails anywhere round here, so might as well save some effort
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Trek FX series has always been good if you want a sporty ride around town. They have the road bike features, fairly light, straight handlebars and options to put a rack on the rear so you can carry stuff. They have the forward leaning seating position so having a child seat at the handlebar would be a problem.

Cheapest one usually wasn't the best, and we would only sell them to kids that would trash them anyway. Derailleur bikes do need a bit more maintenance then the good old Dutch citybike.

I'm sure other brands have similar bikes to the FX, we just didn't sell them. Only had a couple brands in the store I worked at.

Electric bikes are definitely amazing too.
  • Trying to find a used MTB for reasonable money is doing my head in. Halp?
  • Have you tried Decathalon Gav?
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Having a look just now. Can't really afford anything over a hundo but I'm trying to find out from my work if I can get into the cycle to work program which will pay for it straight from my wages monthly. Hopefully I can get on it as it will clearly widen my options.
  • eBay or gumtree for second hand bike's, though anything decent will cost more than a hundred.
  • Unless it’s nicked.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Anyone know who this is??

edit: Image removed as it seems my paranoia got the better of me and I wasn't being catfished, she's actually real
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    hahahahahaha, now that would be truly hilarious
  • Found a bike on gumtree. £70. That'll do til my work pull their finger out about the CTW scheme.
  • Bike was too wee. The guy selling it was reaching when he said "gents". Cunt was 5ftFuckall.
  • I'd have paid money to see you on this thing.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    hahaha, sorry Gav, but yeah mental image, get a bmx they're all tiny
  • Bike was too wee. The guy selling it was reaching when he said "gents". Cunt was 5ftFuckall.

Typical West of Scotland male height, innit. You’re the exception here Gav. Both you and Scott.
  • Did we have a 'how to do shit in excel' thread? It's been ages since I had to use it properly so I've forgotten how to do this thing:

I have high, medium, low priority items and then completed. High = red, medium = amber, low = green and complete = blue. I want to make it so the priority column had drop downs in it, and then when I select high it automatically colours the row red. Oh and also the whole table be in order so high is at top and complete at bottom.

Any help please?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    For the drop down you want data validation, choose from a list (which you either type in, or choose from a set of cells if you have "high"/"low"/"blah" in cells)

For the colouring, you need conditional formatting. There's a wizard, but you'll need to be a bit careful to get the whole row referencing the right column.

Not sure we have a thread, but there have been multiple Excel questions over the year so it may be no bad thing!
  • I think I need to create a table on a separate sheet and point it at it? When you don't do something for like 8 months it's so easy to forget
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    For the drop down you want data validation, choose from a list (which you either type in, or choose from a set of cells if you have "high"/"low"/"blah" in cells)

For the colouring, you need conditional formatting. There's a wizard, but you'll need to be a bit careful to get the whole row referencing the right column.

Not sure we have a thread, but there have been multiple Excel questions over the year so it may be no bad thing!

Ah yeah okay, this rings a bell.

I may create a thread...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    I think I need to create a table on a separate sheet and point it at it? When you don't do something for like 8 months it's so easy to forget

You can do that (and it's often best, not least for extensibility and clarity), but there are other options.  Quickly looking, you go Data > Data Validation > Data Validation, and then Allow > From List.  And then for the Source you can either just type in "high,medium,low,completed" and it will Just Work, or yes you can reference a table (either on the same sheet, or another sheet).
  • Virgin Media have been putting their cabling in my street for the last few weeks or so.  By last weekend, they'd left themselves only a few bits to do, including filling in a trench at the top of the street.

On Saturday, the family and I were returning from a walk and the trench was covered in two pieces of hard plastic covering.  One was wide (about 4sq feet) covering a largish hole and the other was about 8 inches wide by about 3 feet long (covering the trench).  There were no warning signs, hazard cones or other signage that might have indicated that you should walk in or around the coverings.  

Chatting away to my other half, I stepped onto the smaller of the coverings and my foot went straight through it banging my ankle bone and scraping a couple of chunks of skin off of my foot.  I also twisted my other knee (which I suffer from arthritis in) trying not to cowp into the street, but it could've been a lot worse.  I could have easily broken my ankle.  

I reported the incident to Virgin and asked about compensation.  Today, their public safety officer and a few other management lads from the contractor (Morrison) came to the front door to get a statement from me about what happened.  I gave them a verbal statement and they asked me to complete a written statement, which I'm happy to do.  The one question they did ask me was "Did you notice any signs, warnings or fences around the works?" - to which I replied that there wasn't.  The safety officer gave me his email address and asked me to send the statement through.

15 minutes later, after they've gone away and had a discussion about it, the senior manager knocks on the door and very politely asks "How much would you like for this to go away so this doesn't have to be referred to legal?"

So that's my question to you all - how much?
    Gamertag: gremill
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'd be playing it like the highest I can get without it going to a faff, so they think I'm a rube but I'm also getting money. I have no fucking clue but I'd go very very high three figures? Enough to get a nice thing. I am also not the person to ask and know nothing about anything here.
  • Ooohhhhh. Cheeky of the senior manager to leave it so open ended. Ask too little then great for them, ask too much and they will laugh in your face. Cant you Google for similar compensation amounts given out?
  • £1,000,000

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!