Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Shit! Do I just need to tell people to fuck their ear?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I've done PM from time to time. Was PRINCE accredited at one point but it's long lapsed.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    You sexy MF.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I'm looking to do an APM Project Management Qualification soon (finish studies in the next couple of weeks then the test as soon as after) and was just wondering if it is valued in the profession? I think there are 4 levels of accreditation and this is level 2, and I'd rather not waste my time if that's an apprentice level equivalent qual.
  • Any qualifications are useful for CV when it comes to project management jobs. There are a lot of them out there, and what employers tend to want from them (in my experience) is someone they can rely on to get the job done (or more accurately, make sure other people get the job done). Qualifications provide some of that reassurance.

PRINCE 2 (practitioner) for eg, despite being massive overkill outside of a huge government level programme of work is still highly valued. Anything APM looks good too, so for sure do it. These days you should also gun for something Agile, getting at least a scrum master (https://www.scrumalliance.org/get-certified) is useful so you don't get lost with stupid terms like ceremonies sprints and retros. You should be able to get scrum certified with a couple of days work, it's just learning terminology and multiple choice.
  • I'm looking to do an APM Project Management Qualification soon (finish studies in the next couple of weeks then the test as soon as after) and was just wondering if it is valued in the profession? I think there are 4 levels of accreditation and this is level 2, and I'd rather not waste my time if that's an apprentice level equivalent qual.

Hello. APM is definitely valued in the profession, and is the only org that you can get actual chartership through. Usually I'd say APM PMQ is expected (or equivalent with PRINCE) if you're going to run a project. That's what I would see asked for in a lot of jobs.

You're right that this is step 2 to chartership, but for the next qualification you're expected to have about 7 years of running projects of a decent size and complexity to take part. I've got some stuff on my work machine from when I had a chat with the apm rep the other week which I can share tomorrow

I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • It's so weird though. SO much effort and learning and jargon when really, project management in most industries that I've worked in boils down to

a) understanding what has to be done, who's gonna do it, and when they've said they're gonna complete it
    b) tracking their progress in completing it

OK sure, you track risks and dependencies and run meetings and such. But really it's about making sure people do their jobs, and being able to talk about it.
  • Mind you I tried to project manage our house renovation and well that's not a mistake I'll be making again
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Not a PM
    Have managed projects, some big ones too
    Love Trello and regular meetings
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Cheers for the responses guys. I think PRINCE 2 has been superseded by the APM PMQ now. I've done a few days worth of agile course via LinkedIn learning so I'm jargoned up to the max. I'll look to get certified once I've finished the PMQ.
  • Morning.  I got the Prince 2 Practitioner qualification a few years ago and as has been mentioned it's great in theory but you're never going to get the budget to run a project like that unless you're dealing with projects that have budgets into the millions.  In my industry (O&G IT) PMP and Prince 2 still seem to be the main ones, although Agile is getting a lot of attention in my field.  Having looked into Agile this is dumb because as far as I can tell Agile was developed primarily to manage software development projects, which has fuck all relevance to most of what I work on.

I spent most of my career without any formal PM training.  It's 99% common sense and 1% understanding jargon.  Formal qualifications can be a foot in the door but once you're actually doing the job they're pretty much pointless.

All of the above is of course based on a sample size of one, i.e. me, so take with pure hunners of salt.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Having looked at agile it does seem to be almost exclusively suited to software/IT development. I can see some possible use for it in other areas where you need to solve a problem but don't yet have a defined solution, but I imagine those situations aren't too common.

I've got some experience with project work over the last few years, plus a ton of management experience, so hopefully the transition won't be too painful. I will be starting a new career in a couple of years, and I think project management would be a good fit for me, so need to start getting myself set-up with some bells and whistles on my CV.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Mind you I tried to project manage our house renovation and well that's not a mistake I'll be making again

So true. I think project management in construction should be treated as a totally separate profession.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The greatest skill a PM can have is to be able to nag without pissing people off.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    All of the above is of course based on a sample size of one, i.e. me, so take with pure hunners of salt.

Sample size of two, FWIW (100% more)
    Having looked at agile it does seem to be almost exclusively suited to software/IT development.[...] so need to start getting myself set-up with some bells and whistles on my CV.

The point I think both Unlikely and I are making is that, as you say, your experience is what counts - but you wanna get that foot through the door (that's the expression right) and for that, trust me, Agile is both easy to get and useful to have in almost any PM area. Is Agile useful outside of self organising, small software dev teams? Erm, sometimes and kinda? but not really. Is Agile something that a high percentage of hiring managers think is absolutely necessary and will mention at every stage of your interview? OMG yes

There are several contracts I would not have been offered without Agile bollocks on my CV and the ability to "talk Scrum"
  • davyK wrote:
    The greatest skill a PM can have is to be able to nag without pissing people off.

Impossible. There are too many people and too many ways to piss them off. Sure, being nice / accommodating whilst getting people to do their fucking jobs is useful in some cases, but generally I don't give a fuck what people think of me, I need the job to get done, so fucking do it like you said you would (or I'll just have to include you as an issue on my RAID)

edit: just in case this is not srs
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    Unlikely wrote:

Sample size of two, FWIW (100% more)
    Having looked at agile it does seem to be almost exclusively suited to software/IT development.[...] so need to start getting myself set-up with some bells and whistles on my CV.

The point I think both Unlikely and I are making is that, as you say, your experience is what counts - but you wanna get that foot through the door (that's the expression right) and for that, trust me, Agile is both easy to get and useful to have in almost any PM area. Is Agile useful outside of self organising, small software dev teams? Erm, sometimes and kinda? but not really. Is Agile something that a high percentage of hiring managers think is absolutely necessary and will mention at every stage of your interview? OMG yes

There are several contracts I would not have been offered without Agile bollocks on my CV and the ability to "talk Scrum"

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely will be looking at getting agile and scrum certification, I was just agreeing with unlikely that agile (as it is what it was intended for) is best suited to software/devops type stuff. That's probably the area I would be most comfortable in anyway so it'll likely be the route I take.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    Impossible. There are too many people and too many ways to piss them off. Sure, being nice / accommodating whilst getting people to do their fucking jobs is useful in some cases, but generally I don't give a fuck what people think of me, I need the job to get done, so fucking do it like you said you would (or I'll just have to include you as an issue on my RAID) edit: just in case this is not srs

Don't worry - it wasn't!!!  

You do need to be a nag though.
  • Thank you'd be an excellent PM by the way, good luck with it!
  • davyK wrote:
      You do need to be a nag though.

My least favourite PM trait is the passive aggressive, suck-up-to-stakeholders type. The rule to live by, even though it's treated as a jokey cliche, is "if the project gets delivered, well done team - if it does not, fuck you PM" but far too many try the opposite.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Cheers, I'm not firm on it but I need to give myself options. I'd probably be happier running a grilled cheese truck for hipsters in London/festivals but I'm not sure that would pay the mortgage.
  • Warren the sparky has fixed the problem. Had to go up rather than down in the end, but the wire that had been screwed into popped into view almost immediately. He didn't charge too much either, so Mick the chippy has cheered the fuck up and is now singing the first lines of Sympathy for the Devil from time to time.

Thanks for the advice during my flap up, Paul.
  • Do we have any project managers on the forum?

I am a Project Manger. Specifically software development project manager (very different to building house project manager.) I'm also Product Manager.. small company. Was PRINCE2 but lapsed.

What type of industry? Different industries value different qualifications more or less i think. For me im looking to do PRINCE2 Agile soon.
  • Project Management is 'just' common sense.

The thing is.. a lot of people lack common sense.

It's just ushering people to do what they should be doing.

Maybe everybody hates me, don't care, i don't go to work to make friends.

I find different people need to be managed in different ways. Some need a nag some need a micro manage some need to be made to believe they are the expert.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I think most of the questions I had have been asked on this page. Funk, matt, unlikely and others have answered pretty thoroughly but I'd be very interested in your take still.
  • Djornson wrote:
    I find different people need to be managed in different ways. Some need a nag some need a micro manage some need to be made to believe they are the expert.

This is a point worth noting, and applies not just to team members but also customers and other vendors.  Managing the customer can be an extremely delicate process.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I'm used to managing staff, senior leadership and customers, so that should stand me in good stead.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!