Ask the Bear & Badger
  • Cheers. 'Just leaving it' is 100% out the question, right? That seems to be their preferred option. I'm home in half an hour anyway.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Doesn't make any sense to anyone that. Even them, surely? There's obviously a problem there, why not sort it out now before they finish the ceiling? I doubt they'd want to come back out to do it all again later on if something was to happen
  • I think it's accessible from the loft space. Came back to find the carpenter screwing extra boards in place. Fuckingfuckme.gif. The hall is now on hold while he sources an electrician, but the plan was very much in place to plough ahead/hope for the best. I turned up at the same time as my mate* got back, who hires the carpenter. At least they're on it now.

*from the pub...
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Ah if it's in the loft it's a doddle. Should be able to renew the cable without damage if it's not a switch wire
  • Hope so mate. Last time I had work done at home they went through the gas (not these guys), obvs could do without it but there's a good chance it'll be less of a ballache than I was expecting. The guy who made the mistake was hell bent on going up through the ceiling, even when I was explaining that it might be an easier fix from the loft as the wires are running under boards that can be lifted up.

It'll look nice when it's done anyway.
  • We're after a very cheap and basic tablet Android for E to use.  She's outgrown her Kindle Fire and it's locked to Amazon shit anyway.  Any suggestions?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I got a Huawei mediapad m3 (I think, might have been an t3, or a 5 something), which cost just over £100. It's fine for the kid, if ss touch on the small side for me.
  • Thanks, but Huawei won't have access to the Google Play store so that's out.  There are a few apps from there that we use and would prefer not to tie up our phones/tablets when she's using them.
  • Jailbreak the Kindle?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Can the Kindles still be easily jailbroken, just because the hardware is pretty heavily subsidised by Amazon. If so it might be worth staying with them. Which is longhand for, no idea, not been in the market for ages
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    Thanks, but Huawei won't have access to the Google Play store so that's out.  There are a few apps from there that we use and would prefer not to tie up our phones/tablets when she's using them.

Mine still has access, is it just new ones that are blocked?

• Jailbreak the Kindle?

Hmm, hadn't thought of that.  Will look into it, although it's a piece of shit and I don't mind getting her something a little less piece of shit.
  • Do you know which version it is?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    As far as I know, the Fire is easy to get the Play store on and just use as a normal Android tab.
  • Do you know which version it is?

No, but I'll check.
  • Wait, Amazon Fire, not Kindle Fire.  Sorry.
  • Actually are they the same thing I have no fucking clue about Amazon shit.
  • Yeah, just sideload all the goggle stuff onto it. There are guides for all versions. I've done old and new ones.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Hodge360 wrote:
    Yeah, just sideload all the goggle stuff onto it. There are guides for all versions. I've done old and new ones.

This is easy as fuck, even I managed it a few times about six years ago. Using nothing but my existing android phone, downloaded a terminal app, then used ftp to add google play services to the kindle/amazon/fire pads and sticks. So given that they're so subsidised, you should be able to get something less shit without spending too much
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Actually are they the same thing I have no fucking clue about Amazon shit.

Kindle was dropped about 5/6 years ago so if its Amazon branded then its newer, and therefore more worth jailbreaking. This should tell you which one you have:

https://www.howtogeek.com/347384/which-amazon-fire-tablet-do-i-own/
  • Cool, thanks chaps.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Looking to get my wife some good earrings for her birthday present. She likes things like Black Heart Creative, where I gotbher some big razorblade acrylic ones a few years ago. Unfortunately BHC are still doing their valentines range so aren't much good but you'd get a sense of the style from seeing them. Kind of pop culture, a little garish, and definitely stud ones (so babies don't grab them!) Are what I'm after.

Anyone have any good jewellery recs?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Not good, but literally the best, was called in by Birmingham Museum to advise on the Staffordshire Hoard and how it was manufactured. No idea exactly what you want and what kind of timeline you're looking at, but I do know that Jamie can make you the best

http://www.jamiehalljewellery.co.uk/

edit: Yes, completely biased, he's a very close friend, but I'm also correct
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Thanks Cocko- I guess the thing is I don't really know what it is until I see it. I wouldn't be able to request things for her.

She wore bauble style earrings at Xmas if that helps.
  • Etsy good for that sort of stuff Reg, just check where the seller is located to make sure it will be delivered in time.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I dunno, just had a look at Black Heart Creative, and see a bit of a gap, but Jamie is an imaginative lad, if you've some ideas of stuff you already know she likes, just message him and Helen and run your "lookbook" past them, after all it's not like they're super busy given lockdown
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Looking to get my wife some good earrings for her birthday present. She likes things like Black Heart Creative, where I gotbher some big razorblade acrylic ones a few years ago. Unfortunately BHC are still doing their valentines range so aren't much good but you'd get a sense of the style from seeing them. Kind of pop culture, a little garish, and definitely stud ones (so babies don't grab them!) Are what I'm after.

Anyone have any good jewellery recs?

Try littlemoose.co.uk

The other obvious one’s Tatty Devine, but from memory tend to be hooks, not studs.

• regmcfly wrote:
    Looking to get my wife some good earrings for her birthday present. She likes things like Black Heart Creative, where I gotbher some big razorblade acrylic ones a few years ago. Unfortunately BHC are still doing their valentines range so aren't much good but you'd get a sense of the style from seeing them. Kind of pop culture, a little garish, and definitely stud ones (so babies don't grab them!) Are what I'm after. Anyone have any good jewellery recs?

I got Ailie a pair from here over Xmas, which she loves. Jewelry gifts are her bag so I have plenty of good Scottish/UK shops bookmarked for use in a pinch, happy to fire over a few suggestions if it's useful
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Do we have any project managers on the forum?
  • Sounds Unlikely.
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!