Ask the Bear & Badger
  • I dont have a fancy ergo chair and have been working from homes for 4 years now.

A few things to check.
    Is your desk high enough. If you are 6ft or taller and have a standard desk the answer is likely no.

Are your monitors high enough, if using a laptop the answer will again likely be no but if tall even stock monitor stands can be quite short. I have mine mounted to the wall on adjustable brackets but those brackets that attach to the desk are also good.

Are you moving around enough? When working from home it can be easy to fall into a trap of not moving as much as you might have done in an office where meetings or speaking to a colleague often means getting up off your bum.
  • I use a knock off Eames chair that looks like this but didnt cost £300 but does squeek a bit.
    eames_office_chair_low_thinpad_black_01-1.jpg
  • We use those same Eames knock-offs at the actual studio. Good for low-ish desk heights. The knock-offs don’t stand up to full-on office use too well (we have to replace one or two every year) but they should be great for home office use where you take more care of things.
  • poprock wrote:
    We use those same Eames knock-offs at the actual studio. Good for low-ish desk heights. The knock-offs don’t stand up to full-on office use too well (we have to replace one or two every year) but they should be great for him office use where you take more care of things.

Yeah totally agree.
    My last employer had them and they weren't great for being chucked around the office on the regular. Fine for home use.
    Employer also made the mistake of opting for the beige/grey colour and they started to look grubby.

Also just realised its the high back version I have but much the same thing.
  • We’ve picked up a couple of these for the home studio:
    https://hay.dk/en-gb/hay/furniture-brand/seating-brand/chair-brand/about-a-chair-brand/aac-22

Combined with one of these:
    https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/bekant-conference-table-oak-white-s69047482

The chair’s meant as a dining chair, but it’s really supportive and comfortable. The main thing is to get your arms to fall at a natural height (which is about the relationship between desk and chair height) and to get your monitor up to a decent eye level. That’ll save your neck, shoulders and back from getting fucked up. If you’re using a laptop, for god’s sake get it up on a stand and get yourself a separate keyboard and mouse.
  • acemuzzy wrote:

Good for gaming just tilt it back, rest your head, put feet on desk and play away.

• b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Good for gaming just tilt it back, rest your head, put feet on desk and play away.

That's what I've got
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    I dont have a fancy ergo chair and have been working from homes for 4 years now. A few things to check. Is your desk high enough. If you are 6ft or taller and have a standard desk the answer is likely no. Are your monitors high enough, if using a laptop the answer will again likely be no but if tall even stock monitor stands can be quite short. I have mine mounted to the wall on adjustable brackets but those brackets that attach to the desk are also good. Are you moving around enough? When working from home it can be easy to fall into a trap of not moving as much as you might have done in an office where meetings or speaking to a colleague often means getting up off your bum.

Cheers Liv. Some of this is good.

I think it's definitely my monitor not helping. As it is a bit low and doesn't adjust that high up. But I'm looking at fixing that right now, so that will help with the neck ace I've been getting.

As for moving around it depends. I try to get out each day and walk for 30 mins. And then try to stand and walk around a bit each hour (the Apple Watch helps here), but somedays of back-to-back Zoom/Teams calls it isn't always possible.
  • There seems to be a 50/50 split in my work with people inputting their name as surname, firstname. Anyone notice this with their online meetings? It seems strange but maybe there are reasons?
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Looking at switching gas & elec and a lot want to to install a smart meter. A few years ago they couldn't handle LED lights and dimmers and produced incorrect readings.

Any idea if those issues are fixed nowadays?
  • In Ireland they're rolling out national replacement of all meters with smart ones so I hope so!
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Hodge360 wrote:
    There seems to be a 50/50 split in my work with people inputting their name as surname, firstname. Anyone notice this with their online meetings? It seems strange but maybe there are reasons?

My online meetings through work use my work generated outlook contact card, which puts surname firstname. If I've got the option I always go firstname surname.

• Is anyone up on home energy storage and solar panels or, if not, know where to point me for information that isn’t directly written or funded by solar panel and home battery suppliers and installers? Thanks!
  • I go with surname firstname surname.

It helps that my name is James Bond mind.
  • Is anyone up on home energy storage and solar panels or, if not, know where to point me for information that isn’t directly written or funded by solar panel and home battery suppliers and installers? Thanks!

I can do a non dickhead response to this one, as I ended up down a YouTube rabbithole. 

What exactly are you looking to do?

We’ve got some but I don’t really understand the system yet. We have a gas boiler, heating a water tank, that supplies water to our underfloor heating as well as our taps. But then we also have solar panels that heat an element inside the same water tank. So our solar panels just reduce the amount of work the gas boiler needs to do. I think.

That was installed in 2007/8, so I reckon technology will have moved on a lot.

Obviously, this is a very different idea from having solar panels that supply you with electricity.

I can do a non dickhead response to this one, as I ended up down a YouTube rabbithole. 

What exactly are you looking to do?

We have a big old south facing roof so I’m thinking solar panels on there to then potentially store in a big old battery. I’m not sure whether the battery part is worth considering and we just shunt our production back out to the grid? There’s loads of contradictory stuff around that seems to be put out by parties with vested interests.
  • You'll probably want a battery. Depending on how much you can generate, and what you want to power, this doesn't have to be something like the Tesla powerwall. A lot of 'off grid' setups use car batteries. If you're not really bothered about trying to get all your power from the solar, and you're just wanting to do some good by using your roof space to make clean energy and get power at night from the Grid, then you won't need a battery.

It's worth noting that they scrapped the Feed In Tarrif, and it's been replaced by something called the Smart Export Guarantee. This is required for any company with 150,000 customers. This is the one for British Gas for example.

This guy is quite good on this sort of thing, and he's done a "what you need to know" about the Powerwall, but it would apply to any solar and battery installation. I suspect you wouldn't make some of the mistakes he did given your job, but it's worth a watch.

• Brilliant.  I’m going down the same rabbit hole as you it seems.  Thanks for the help.
  • This is also worth a watch, prices may be slightly outdated by now, but still gives some good info.

• Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Does anyone know SolidWorks? I'm trying to rescale a cutout and the YouTubers are useless, just rescaling the full business.

When I hover-highlight the bottom of the cut I get an orange line, and this turns to light blue when I click. Neither offers any adjustment options. I can also hold Ctrl and click to highlight the top, bottom and inside (medium blue), or paint the facets. But no rescale option?!

Solid-Works.png
  • "Get over here" or "Come here"?
  • We solved this about a year ago but I can't remember the answer. Depends on the game I think, but get over here is the one I (think I) remember most.
  • nick_md wrote:
    "Get over here" or "Come here"?

What? Plz explain?
  • Get is default.
    Come is said if you do the harpoon twice in quick succession I think.

I imagine there are loads of variants these days, never noticed despite putting good hours into MK9,X and 11
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Get is default. Come is said if you do the harpoon twice in quick succession I think.

I think third but that makes sense, likely not in arcade or early conversions until they saw people spamming the move and added it to increase variety
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Get over here
  • nick_md wrote:
    What? Plz explain?
  • What's the best way to beckon a member of staff at your local kebabby.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!