[Baldrick's Tavern] MMOs/RPG Discussion
  • Switch version in Sept. I’ll be in, Day 1.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I tried playing Planescape on Android a while back and... I dunno.  I understand it's often heralded for its writing, but the quest mechanics (die and end up back in the morgue again, unclear what to do next) made it feel like it just hadn't aged well at all.

Obviously it's the polar opposite of modern day rpg's with its lack of quest markers and hand holding.  But, having never played it back in the day, I found the environments rather staid and boring.  Baldurs Gate (and Icewind Dale in particular) at least had their dungeon crawling combat to fall back on.

I remain hopeful that if Divine Divinity 2 ever comes to Switch, that might rekindle my love for isometric rpg's.  But I don't hold out much hope for that.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Do you mean Divine Divinity 2 or Divinity Original Sin 2? Never tried the former, but the latter is a cracker.
  • Woops, yeah I meant Original Sin (I think DD was a poor man's Diablo?) I need a portable version of DOS2 on Switch now, because I tried Pillars of Eternity on PS4 and bounced quite hard off it (graphics were awful on a big telly, and they tried their best with the alternative control method via radial menus but they still sucked)

Imagine my disappointment at the news that the PoE port to Switch coming out tomorrow is just that, a PS4 port that has no touch screen controls whatsoever. 

I'll wager that all these other Bioware/Black Isle ports to Switch similarly lack touch screen input.   What a waste.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • So I think it's been mentioned in some other threads, and I think the consensus is it looks ok, but has anyone dived into Greedfall yet?

Finally saw some actual gameplay and it looks like it could actually be something.

Anyone?
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • No, I ended up getting Blands3 instead.

It's getting 7's across the board, review wise. At first I was not really digging the colonial vibe they were going for, but I am now warming a bit more to their riff on The Witcher.  I can see the role play value of playing a complete bastard of a Conquistador.
  • Started a play through of the Bhaalspawn saga from the start in preparation for Baldur's Gate 3. 

HOOK IT TO MY VEINS.
  • I may have to just take a plunge on greedfall.

3rd person action rpg is a genre that doesn't really do aa titles or original ip it seems.

I basically feel like playing darksiders (or at least something in that vein). don't want a souls like until I get seriko. Don't want diablo level combat.

Would live with combo style battle, but all of that seems to live in big IPs. Ass crud, batman etc. (rpg being loose there too.)

Hell blade won't load through steam, so I'll be trying it through Gamepass.

Tempted by Kingdom come, thankfully also on Gamepass.

I'd like openish world at least. Don't want rogue like.

Dragons dogma, Kingdoms of amulur, darksiders are the sweetspot, but I've played tried them all. Okami I've also done.

Have I missed any?

If I had a ps4 I'd be God of war 4 hunting, and by the sounds of it being frustrated by rpg element being weak. If I had a switch I'd try zelda botw.

Shoot names at me and be frustrated by my saying no for... Reasons...

• 2d is out.

Just looked through my list of played games, lichdom was so close, even though it's fps view.

Just too borked with controls on joypad amongst other issues.
  • Kingdom Come does some interesting stuff.
    It is a kind of clunky Skyrim like with a more advanced combat system. It also has one of the better systems I have seen for aliegances etc, NPCs genuinely seem to react based on your decisions.

It is a slow burner taking me a good evening of gameplay to get to the title card. The pace is interesting though, certainly different to most games. It's not just a case of doing the training mission then you are the hero, I think I put in 8-10 hours and I was still being treated like shit by NPCs, a scrub tier peasant with a sword.

It is clunky though. Give it as go, it will fill a decent gaming session and you will know from there if you want to carry on. I stopped but might go back.

I know the exact thirst you have as I had it a few months back. Unfortunately there isnt the wealth of these games this gen that there was last gen.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    There's that Souls-ish game with robots. Can't remember the name but I'm sure it's on Game Pass too.

Edit: The Surge. It has a sequel on the way too.
  • Yeah. 10+ hours into surge. It's soulsy alright.

The problem with soulsy that's not quite there is that when it gets hard there's not the quality to push you through.

Also, it does a poor job of having an interesting map to traverse.

Having said that, 2 is on the list for a different rainy day.

Its a rough find all round. Will give Kingdom come a bash, but story/npc isn't even necessarily what I'm there for. At least in the clunky cut scene dialogue tree sense.

(bless souls for its exposition brevity.)

Wish I liked the witcher more.
  • Most of the 2d metroidvanias do a great job of cutting to chase with story.

Hollow knight what up.

I realise why they do it, but trying to find games that hone on the numberwang rpg styles without feeling the need to overegg back story is hard yards.

And any game that would focus in the numberwang etc will either use tech to create in game reasons, see ass crud, or most SF based rpgs, or just assume I want walls of text to go with my crit chance and +5s.

I know tempeh has explained to someone else why it's 2 different beasts, but I'd like a Rogue like attitude to combat/weapons in a narrative open worlder.

• Kingdom Come is probably a bit talk heavy then. It is almost exclusively waffle early on.
  • I'll still try. I can skip through chats with button mashing.

Re the whole waffle thing, I guess I get frustrated because I mean how hard is this stuff?

Yeah no worries game I dont need a wall of text to tell me that the small avatar with pointy ears is from a mysterious race called the ellphaninies.

Just give me my fucking bow +5 and bonus crit damage for head shots. I've read LOTR. Jfc.

• You could give Blasphemous a go
  • Facewon wrote:
    2d is out.
  • Yeah but give it a go m8o
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Remnant from the Ashes?
  • Yeah, that's on my list, it could be the goer, but again, more roguey.
  • Divinity Original Sin 2 (now on Switch)?   I look at it myself and think, 'yep it looks pleasingly old skool, but how much old skool does it take before it just gets....old?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It fucking never gets old. Because it's not old school at all.
  • Isometric baby.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Isometric but fully rotatable and zoomable. And interactiveable.
  • That last one isn't a word.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    D'you reckon?
  • Kow is sarkiavable.
  • Kow’s accurasity is off the charts - Div: OS2 never gets old.
  • Given the way I play destiny, I've decided it counts.

I'll bash through the shadowkeep stuff and be happy.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!