[Baldrick's Tavern] MMOs/RPG Discussion
  • I can't even manage a dos joke.

What's it stand for in this case.

Div2 update:

I set everything on fire and killed my party after getting into it in a bar fight. Gonna have to be more careful with fire grenades. Also with my archer. Who shot me in the back.

Lolol.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    DoS2 is Divinity: Original Sin 2

I'm not sure the Division 2 is really an RPG, but I'm glad you're enjoying it.

• Oh lol. We talking about th me same fucking thing.

I always forget the original sin bit.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    What a pair of divs
  • lol what an awesome little exchange!

I don't suppose anyone has advice on The Old Republic as a single player game?

It seems like there's some pretty well received story expansions, and you can try a lot of it for free.  My only concern is the intro section includes the old 'kill 10 of X' quests which is not a great start - I'm wondering if it's mostly like this or if there's a lot of traditional single player RPG quests as well?
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I played it for about half a year when it came out, mostly on my own, but it never really felt suitable for single player. Most of the quests are fetch this or kill those. That was ages ago though, right when it launched, so it's probably a totally different game by now.
  • Thanks mate.  Might hold off on it for a while in that case.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It was like 8 years ago so I don't know if holding off will change much at this stage.
  • That was more to do with having a few RPG's in the backlog that (I'm pretty sure) I'll enjoy more, and a few nice looking ones coming up soon.
  • Right then, Divinity 2 fort joy specifically. Have opened up multiple routes to leave the fort. However been more interested in completing all the sub quests in the fort. I've also been systematically killing the magisters. However the court room has 8 magisters in it or something. Can it be done at low character level or is it suicide?

Also whats the best makeup of a team?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's probably suicide. Plus you'll probably get attacked on sight everywhere. 

A good team should have some muscle, a ranged fighter with healing capabilities, an offensive magic user and someone with thieving skills and maybe some magic too. Really everyone should have some magic capacity.
  • Having a summoner is amazing, especially early game. Divinity is all about the action economy. More bodies = more movies and more group HP.

And yes, you can do the courtroom.
  • Div 2 is now half price on PSN and heavily discounted on Nintendo store. Still a ten pound differential though. Not paying an extra tenner just for portability, so PS4 it is.  Had thought this might be the first Chrimbo I spent without getting a 'new' game as nothing was really calling out to me, but this is going to be my festive treat.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Having a summoner is amazing, especially early game. Divinity is all about the action economy. More bodies = more movies and more group HP.

And yes, you can do the courtroom.

I'm gonna try the courtroom, just need to work out a strategy to thin out the herd. Head on i have no chance. This is enjoyable. My main character is Fane and i have the Red Price as muscle. Got a dual wield dwarf who annoys me and a human archer who dies alot. Both need replacing with better characters.
  • So courtroom cleared out. All magisters in fort joy are dead. That i can find.
  • Are there any rpg's that have taken the exisitng formula, streamlined it and improved it? It seems as if rpgs havent progressed much over the last 20 years. Enjoying divinity 2 but its the usual too much inventory management, too many spells, actions. So stick to a core number of them which are tried and tested and rinse and repeat.

Quests seem to be at the moment the same old formula as well. Maybe if it works it just works.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    FFXII was great for doing something different I thought

Bravely/Default kinda too

But yeah it's not evolved all that much as a genre
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Part of the fun of Divinity is the huge array of weapons and items so you can customize characters as you want. That's something I really like about it. You can click on categories to only see the parts of the inventory that interest you in any one moment.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    This is my third attempt to not bounce off Divinity OS 1 and I'm struggling in the first few hours still. The way they dump you into Big Town with no combat about and story dump all this protect the timeline shite is like dragging myself through a thicket.

And that Rock, Paper, Scissors persuasion system is text book get tae. Does it work like that in the sequel?
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    This is my third attempt to not bounce off Divinity OS 1 and I'm struggling in the first few hours still. The way they dump you into Big Town with no combat about and story dump all this protect the timeline shite is like dragging myself through a thicket.

And that Rock, Paper, Scissors persuasion system is text book get tae. Does it work like that in the sequel?

Naw, sequel dumps that conversation system. It also fixes the overwhelming start (although it does still have occasions like that later on).
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Ah fuck it. I like me RPGs but this seems tightly designed to give me death by a thousand niggles. The jokes aren't landing, the writing quality / volume ratio is lopsided and it takes too long to give me a decent taste of what is apparently its strongest asset, the combat. Reading negative reviews seems to hit a pattern where everyone complains about it going off a cliff edge in the last acts.

I might still buy the second one so I can drink up that sweet sweet Avellone writing for the skeleton dude.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    I fear Disco Elysium has already killed every western RPG that I'd attempt to play after it so I'm not even trying to do the time sinks that are Divinity Original Sin 1+2. I care fuck all about combat in narrative CRPG's to begin with so that will never be incentive enough.
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    We're pale-touched now and forever.
  • Looking forward to playing disco asylum. Currently still playing DOS2 its alright, standard rpg fare. So far i dont understand why it got such praise from every videogame outlet under the sun. But theres time.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Are there any rpg's that have taken the exisitng formula, streamlined it and improved it? It seems as if rpgs havent progressed much over the last 20 years. Enjoying divinity 2 but its the usual too much inventory management, too many spells, actions. So stick to a core number of them which are tried and tested and rinse and repeat.

Quests seem to be at the moment the same old formula as well. Maybe if it works it just works.

I think that the leak of rpg elements into basically every single other game out there has caused trad rpgs to have an appeal. I'm trying to think of the last game I played without some form of levelling, skills, quests etc in there.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • The ones that get streamlined are accused of being dumbed down.
    Mass Effect is a good example there.
  • Bought disco. You fucks.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    The ones that get streamlined are accused of being dumbed down.
    Mass Effect is a good example there.

Mass Effect IP RIP. ME2 was one of my games of the decade.
  • It was also a dumbed down RPG. Albeit with enough quality to still be an absolutely brilliant game.

• I thought it was a shooter with some side quests and talky bits?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!