Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    There's my daily dose of karma
  • Anyone going to go for early access?

Naw, will wait for the final game. Happy to wait until it’s all done and complete, then dive deep.
  • I won't be able to resist

My first 10 hours with it will just be constantly restarting anyway, not being able to decide on what kind of character to play as lol
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • My mates trying to get me into Divinity 2 at the moment and it’s hard going. It doesn’t help that it’s only a couple of hours per week that we can play but the story side just seems so tedious and off-putting. I really hope they can do the business on that front with BG3. The Forgotten Realms stuff is the only part of that whole fantasy scape I’ve got much affinity with.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Anyone going to go for early access?
    How does one get in on this action?  Pre-order or will it just be available?

I'm all up for that.  It'll be my final game in the year where I only buy 3 games.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • Subbax wrote:
    Anyone going to go for early access?
    How does one get in on this action?  Pre-order or will it just be available? I'm all up for that.  It'll be my final game in the year where I only buy 3 games.
    Guessing you buy it early on Steam, was that way with Hades (although on the Epic store).
    Like Wariospeedwagon I am unlikely to resist.
    It does look fucking great but not sure my laptop is up to doing it justice - does make me wonder if stadia would be a good route but then I remember it's (currently?) pish
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • It does look very impressive. And I'm sure it will be an incredible RPG.

However...

I can understand a little bit of disgruntlement. It looks very, very similar to Divinity on the surface, has turn-based combat, and, given how many games have come out in recent years that are fundamentally updates of the Infinity Engine titles, it is quite the step away from the previous titles. I get it. 

I think it looks brilliant and I bloody love Illithids, which helps. I wonder how much the different gith factions may play a role? One of my favourite pieces of DnD art is this Githyanki...

latest?cb=20200227115632
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I'm sure it'll be a fine RPG for many people but after bouncing off Original Sin 1 three times it won't be for me.

Considering the Bhaalspawn story line is finished they may as well have still set it on the Sword Coast but ditched the BG name but then there's no fans lured in by nostalgia I guess.
  • My biggest worry is it looks a bit "Larian does DnD" rather than Baldur's Gate.

I haven't watched the vids properly yet.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Larian does dnd is what I want.
  • It does look very impressive. And I'm sure it will be an incredible RPG. However... I can understand a little bit of disgruntlement. It looks very, very similar to Divinity on the surface, has turn-based combat, and, given how many games have come out in recent years that are fundamentally updates of the Infinity Engine titles, it is quite the step away from the previous titles. I get it.  I think it looks brilliant and I bloody love Illithids, which helps. I wonder how much the different gith factions may play a role? One of my favourite pieces of DnD art is this Githyanki... latest?cb=20200227115632

Yeah I get that.

For me, I think there's a central conflict here. Not between Larian (Original Sin era) and Baldur's Gate, but between Baldur's Gate and D&D.

A lot of the stuff that D&D does, especially in 5th edition, isn't represented well in Baldur's Gate. The maps in that game are flat, spells only have one use, there's not a huge amount of wider-world player agency etc. 

Baldur's Gate, like most IE games, didn't bother with stuff like cantrips and utility spells. It was a CRPG and represented a particular style and time.

Larian have very clearly based their games on D&D, encouraging improvisation and player choice. So, when the new Baldur's Gate looks like Original Sin 2, what is actually happening is that Baldur's Gate 3 looks like D&D 5E. 

The shifts in combat are subtle but significant:

1. All players share the same round and you can switch between them.
    2. More emphasis on surroundings and slightly less on elements.
    3. Action points and Bonus Actions - not a set number of points per turn.

It's subtle, but it will make combat more like D&D and less like original sin. Real-time with Pause wouldn't work with 5E - every 6-second round is too important. They could change the game to accommodate, sure, but it'd actually make it less like D&D RAW. 

That's not to dismiss criticism - I get that for many people they're less interested in a 5E update, and want more classic Baldur's Gate feels - what I mean to say is that Original Sin is not being ripped off here. Original Sin was unofficial D&D, and now BG is being brought into that. 

I think multiplayer in this game will be incredible. I'd love to get 3 others and do a campaign. 

It seems they've basically copied classes and races word-for-word from the players handbook, and there will almost certainly be a Dungeon Master mode like in Divinity: OS2, which could make this the definitive D&D game around. 

The turn-based out of combat movement seems fantastic too, letting you weave your way through guards like at a tabletop session. 

So yeah, I get the worries. It's definitely different. What I don't believe is that the problem lies in BG being made to be more like OS. I think it's that BG 1&2 were great CRPGs, but not good 5E D&D games.
  • Plus, they've added shit loads of verbs to the game - things like shove and dip. Again, that's tabletop play right there - that's not something you often see in a videogame outside of old point & clicks. That's pure tabletop D&D.
  • Isometric though is such an enforced nostalgic viewpoint. Couldn't they make it with an over-the-shoulder cam like Gears or something?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • As someone who hasn't played table top d&d and only a tiny bit of DOS, that's a great read.  I did like the look of that more improvisation combat in the videos too.

Not the biggest fan of RTWP - Think it's good for easier-middling battles, where you don't need to do too much managing up if any.    Just give them good gear and let the script take care of the rest.  Don't know that it works so well for harder fights where you need to manage everything and it gets a bit fiddly.  So happy to try something new especially given how well the DOS games' combat has been received.

Not exactly a concern (since I'm really looking forward to the game and I'm not sure what would put me off) but I hope they don't go TOO combat orientated and there's usually a way to avoid it.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Keep watching previews of BG3 - cant remember the last time I was this hyped for a game

• Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Yeah, I'm fully on board the hype train for this.

I'm thinking about either continuing with wherever the fuck I left Divinity 1, starting it again (fourth time's a charm) or just ditching it and buying Divinity 2 instead. Need something to scratch the itch.

I tried Pillars of Eternity as it's on ye olde Game Pass, having never played a real time with pause game before. I've got to say I much prefer the turn based hijinks of Divinity, although I must admit I was put off so quickly that I never really gave PoE a fair crack of the whip. I just knew immediately that it wasn't what I was after as soon as combat began.
  • I couldn't get on with PoE, bigtown crisis stopped me early doors but agree re the combat - Dvinity 2 is the pinnacle of RPG combat imo

• I found PoE quite decent to get into when I just accepted that my character was just a character and I could never do everything. I stalled right near the end though, and just never went back. Had a lot of fun in the interim though.
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    Isometric though is such an enforced nostalgic viewpoint. Couldn't they make it with an over-the-shoulder cam like Gears or something?

Um, they did. Unless I misunderstood what I watched in that gameplay demo.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Think there was an option for a camera follow mode alright, more like Dragon Age Origins.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Yeah, that's an interesting option.

I'm hoping the preview is available on Stadia because I'm quite looking forward to dragging the missus kicking and screaming into this epic tale.

Plus I can then play it at work on my lunch break on their laptop because it's streaming baby! Take that security procedures!
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • Does Final Fantasy IX have random battles?
  • Yes
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • As I recall, it's really 12 before there's a proper revamp/move from pretty standard jrpg stuff.

I can't recall. Thing about 13 or 14 or spin off's, but 7 8 and 9 are all variations on the same steez.
  • Which one was 10?

11 was the mmo wasn't it?

Fuckin expert right here.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    X was the one with the basketball shite, still vaguely 7-9esque
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Blitz Ball was awesome.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Is that what you call wiping with your ass down?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!