Assassin's Creed
  • Yeah, can't imagine the original Pirates would bear up without the nostalgia. Never played the Xbox version.

• The gift that keeps on giving.
  • That's hilarious.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Wait, so they do speak French?
  • Just the obnoxious ones.
  • Well as usual it's a stunning looking game.
  • Good to know the cutscenes haven't got any less fucking long windedly boring.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Sid Meier's Pirates is one of my favourite games...
    How would it fare as a first time experience these days?  Been tempted by it for years, might put it in the retro club.

Go do it. 

The re-release they did 10 years ago holds up well enough and is still very playable. 

Get it on Steam - it's really, really good fun if a little shallow.
  • 'Five packs of micro-transaction currency, named Helix Credits, are currently available to buy. The packs range in price from £3.99 to an eye-watering £64.99.'

Sign me up to the deluxe!
  • Gotta say I'm really enjoying this, frame rate stutters a little in places but most of it looks incredible so I forgive it that a little.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Sid Meier's Pirates is one of my favourite games...
    How would it fare as a first time experience these days?  Been tempted by it for years, might put it in the retro club.
    It's awful.
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    OP appears to be borked.
    That'll be me having deleted the image from somewhere forgetting that it was linked to here. I can't be arsed just right now, but I'll rejig it to better represent the series as a whole, less focussed on III.

OP fixed and, hopefully, improved.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Nice. Shocking amount of Ass Cruddery when you put it all together like that.
  • Yeah great work on the op dude.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    Gotta say I'm really enjoying this, frame rate stutters a little in places but most of it looks incredible so I forgive it that a little.

I've enjoyed it so far and it really looks good and had some pop up but no amazing faces yet, but only just started really, hope to get some co op going?
    Spoiler:

Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    Verecocha wrote:
    Gotta say I'm really enjoying this, frame rate stutters a little in places but most of it looks incredible so I forgive it that a little.

I've enjoyed it so far and it really looks good and had some pop up but no amazing faces yet, but only just started really, hope to get some co op going?
    Spoiler:

Yeah dude, really not far from you either, co-op sounds aces. Had pop up myself also actually but nothing game breaking.

How hot is Elise?!
  • Picked this up today. Hoping to get stuck in at some point before or aafter the wife watches strictly.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Either I'm easily pleased or the internet is awash with melodramatic cry-babies, because in my opinion this has been great so far! Aside from my inner graphics whore purring at the gorgeous visuals, the set-up and characters are both likeable and relatable. It was a hell of a prologue to get the title-screen proper. Now I'm in Paris and first task was scaling Notre Dame. The view...WOW!

To the others playing it on here: please tell me you're HUD-less, with French language and English subs? Real sense of place to it this way.  ;)
  • Thanks for that Curtis, I was just about to ask whether I should trust the bad reviews. The only real interest I have in the Creed games is the environment, walking around, scaling buildings, taking in great views, finding nice viewpoints etc. Going around a huge Paris sounds quite appealing.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • All reviewers are liars of course Hylian, it's their job.
  • Always trusted Edge (most of the time) but I find I can't do that anymore. Not sure why I even bother still reading it.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Watching Twitch streams makes it look awful. One streamer fell through the map four times in an hour the other night. All power to those enjoying it though.
  • Curtis will plough through any old shit, don't buy this. I obviously haven't played it but I know.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    rolleyes.gif
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Always trusted Edge (most of the time) but I find I can't do that anymore. Not sure why I even bother still reading it.

Over times your opinions have solidified into your own canon, thus surpassing the canon of any institution. I don't know where trust comes into it, as long as they aren't lying in their review about objective facts, they are 100% correct in their assessment of a product, it doesn't need to match your opinion to be right. Reviews contain far more information than "should I buy this".
  • Good point.

Yeah, I guess trust is the wrong word. And indeed, over time I have found that Edge like the games I like so I use their reviews as an aid for making up my own mind.
    Just seems like there could be something fishy going on if say 70% of publications give a game an 8, and a handful or fewer give it say a 5. I can't help but think that the low-scorers are missing something about the game and can't be 'trusted'. Don't think that's the case here on Unity, but I've seen it happen before.
  • Or alternatively the lower scorers just don't like the game they are reviewing. They are all individuals, with their own opinions. Using "Publication" makes it sketchy, as the only thing a reviews editor for a publication will do is make sure they feel the reviewer understood, completed, and presented the review in a manner which reflects the ideals of the publication. There is no line to toe, it'd be far more worrying if a game got the same scores across every publication, with zero dissenting voices - that's not a true reflection of any creation. There has to be a Yoss to every Half Life 2, and a Pink Lasers LOL crew to every Halo.

Apologies, I am in full procrastination mode.
  • Haha! Love the Yoss reference! And you're of course right. Gotta be able to filter out the reviewers that don't seem to like the same type of games as me, I guess. 

Reminds me of a friend of mine who likes watching films. Except he watches, and enjoys, stuff like Pearl Harbour. I have learnt to not discuss/talk about films with him, we seem to be on completely different planets on the topic.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Haha! Love the Yoss reference! And you're of course right. Gotta be able to filter out the reviewers that don't seem to like the same type of games as me, I guess.  Reminds me of a friend of mine who likes watching films. Except he watches, and enjoys, stuff like Pearl Harbour. I have learnt to not discuss/talk about films with him, we seem to be on completely different planets on the topic.

That is one of the problems with Edge, I dunno the crowd who currently write for it or what they even like. It's telling that I love Stanton's opinion on most stuff, and he was also the guy who (if you believe his claims) wrote a lot of the content during the years I read it most. It's also why youtube is taking off, we're coming into the Ebert age of games crit, but without the provnevance.
  • I don't expect games reviewers to agree with me all the time, they can't all have perfect taste, but I do expect them to understand the game they're reviewing.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!