The TV you like thread
  • Last Chance U is more fun that I imagined. I've about an episode left. Not sure it's for everyone but i've really enjoyed it - every ep.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Iron Fist S2 is out on 7th September.  I will probably watch it despite the fact that the first season was quite shit.
  • As will I. Netflix seem quite good at keeping up a steady stream of piss ‘good enough’ shows that I’ll always have at least one thing to watch.
  • I hope he’s learnt how to fight.
  • I hope he's learned how to act.
  • I hope he bangs on about fighting a literal dragon and nobody believes him.
  • Started watching The Americans last night.  The missus and I both really enjoyed it.  Does it go shit/weird or anything at any point or are we safe to stick with it?
  • Matt_82 wrote:
    Started watching The Americans last night.  The missus and I both really enjoyed it.  Does it go shit/weird or anything at any point or are we safe to stick with it?

It is one of the best shows evs. Doesn't shit the bed at any point and remains consistently brilliant, right till the end.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Matt_82 wrote:
    Started watching The Americans last night.  The missus and I both really enjoyed it.  Does it go shit/weird or anything at any point or are we safe to stick with it?

It is one of the best shows evs. Doesn't shit the bed at any point and remains consistently brilliant, right till the end.
    I have one slight gripe with how it all worked out but otherwise this is all correct.

• Okay doke.  Thanks guys.
  • Up to episode 7 of Twin Peaks: The Return.  Lynch is fantastic in this.  Was it always this funny?  I've only seen series 1 but I don't recall it being as humorous.
  • Yeah it was always funny.
  • Aye.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • That’s Ghoul done. Absolutely brilliant. Three episodes long so it is just straight to the point and actually follows a more film like three act structure (episode 1 - build up, episode 2 - raise and develop tension, episode 3 - shit hits fan).

Great monster, simple yet effective story and well put together horror. Loved it.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • I’ve been watching Succession on Sky. I’m not sure whether it’s good or not. I suspect it’s not. But I can’t stop watching. It’s like a car crash.

Brian Cox plays the patriarch of a ridiculously wealthy New York family. He’s the sole owner of a huge media conglomerate, owning newspapers, TV networks, and theme parks. He’s getting old. His sons and daughter are all vying to take over. It’s very, very bitchy and they are all utterly horrible human beings. The old man throws a whole bunch of spanners into the carefully laid out succession plans for the company and for inheritance of his personal fortune over the course of one day – his 80th birthday. Then he has a brain aneurism and the shit hits the fan.

The cast is pretty good. Brian Cox, Sarah Snook, Matthew MacFayden, Alan Ruck, Kieran Culkin. The visual style is a bit awkward – sort of semi-documentary feel. The plotting is stellar, but the dialogue is a bit off. Too much emphasis on swearing, insults, and belittling each other – the show thinks it’s The Thick Of It, but the American writers and cast just can’t pull off that swaggering British creative insult slinging. It misses the target.
  • Confirmed, Last Chance U is brilliant whether you're into American Football or not.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • poprock wrote:
    The plotting is stellar, but the dialogue is a bit off. Too much emphasis on swearing, insults, and belittling each other – the show thinks it’s The Thick Of It, but the American writers and cast just can’t pull off that swaggering British creative insult slinging. It misses the target.

It’s written by a British writer, Jesse Armstrong. Of Peep Show fame
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    Confirmed, Last Chance U is brilliant whether you're into American Football or not.

As someone not into American Football, I would inevitably be comparing to Friday Night Lights and it would inevitably be found wanting.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Stopharage wrote:
    poprock wrote:
    The plotting is stellar, but the dialogue is a bit off. Too much emphasis on swearing, insults, and belittling each other – the show thinks it’s The Thick Of It, but the American writers and cast just can’t pull off that swaggering British creative insult slinging. It misses the target.

It’s written by a British writer, Jesse Armstrong. Of Peep Show fame

He also one of the writers on The Thick of It.
  • This explains a lot. My point stands – the dialogue style and visual style are aiming for Thick of It and missing.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    mk64 wrote:
    Confirmed, Last Chance U is brilliant whether you're into American Football or not.

As someone not into American Football, I would inevitably be comparing to Friday Night Lights and it would inevitably be found wanting.

Isn't it a documentary?
  • Episode 8 of Twin Peaks The Return done. Head pop.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    mk64 wrote:

Isn't it a documentary?

Partridgeshrug.gif
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Episode 8 of Twin Peaks The Return done. Head pop.

Brilliant isn’t it?
    Gamertag: gremill
  • WorKid wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    mk64 wrote:

Isn't it a documentary?

Yea it’s a doc

• Gremill wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Episode 8 of Twin Peaks The Return done. Head pop.
    Brilliant isn’t it?

It's quite something.  My favourite Lynch film is The Straight Story, and I do struggle with some of his weirder stuff so far (did I enjoy Inland Empire?  Dunno), but this is wonderful all over again.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    New animated thing on Netflix - Paradise PD. Possibly the worst thing I've ever seen, a total turd. Not funny, not interesting, not clever, not watchable.
  • I know anime is largely bad but you could easily find and watch... I dunno, Paranoia Agent or Dennou Coil instead of half the guff that arrives on Netflix
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I generally don't like anime. But I don't mind the odd funny like F is for Family etc.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Paradise PD is not funny.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!