The TV you like thread
  • Just starting the second episode now right now
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • How many episodes in this series? Wiki appears to think just 4.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Wikipedia says 10 episodes.
  • Surely not.  I've only seen the first episode but it felt like it could do with at least 10.

Edit: At Blocks, obvs.
  • Yeah it is 10.
    The torrent site I use lists the episodes, names and air dates. Ep 10 is 01.03.20 in America. Sky seem to be a week behind judging by the advert I saw last night, could be wrong though.
  • I thought Sky were just a day behind?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Anyhoo, I’m spending the morning in bed. ITV4 has Minder, The Professionals and The Sweeney, back to back. :D
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Sky has Picard? I thought it was Prime exclusive?

UK is a day behind US but due to time zone shenanigans has been dropping pre-midnight. It's been there at half 11, I assume it pops up at 11.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • g.man wrote:
    I thought Sky were just a day behind?
    Ive probably just read the ad wrong.

Edit wait I thought we were talking Curb not Picard.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    Sky has Picard? I thought it was Prime exclusive?

UK is a day behind US but due to time zone shenanigans has been dropping pre-midnight. It's been there at half 11, I assume it pops up at 11.
    Sorry, meant Prime, not Sky.

• mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    I thought Picard ep 2 was poor, seemed to jump all over the place. The exposition dump between the Romulan help about some sub-sub secret organization was awful dialogue.
    Things can only get better.
  • Spoilers chaps. It's not on terrestrial telly till tonight.
  • I'm spending the day watching Dave Gorman's Terms & Conditions Apply on UK Play TV.

I preferred his Modern Life is Goodish which was sort of like a monologue with a laptop and a projector (bit like Adam Buxton's Bug which was the fucking nuts but watered down a bit for mass consumption) but this sort of mixes it with a panel show format cos obvs we can't get enough panel shows.. so it's a bit like extra watered down. But still very funny.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I like both but I'm glad he switched it up to the new format, I felt the original format had run its course.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I read a review of the Netflix doc on Gloop, the Gwyneth Paltrow thing. I read it for lols but it highlighted quite a worrying point. "Movements" like Paltrow's Gloop amongst copious amounts of other pseudo science nonsense exist as an almost religious belief system or cult and similarly serve to line the pockets of their leaders. Goop is basically a product pusher from lifestyle products and treatments to fanny candles. The Goop doc along with other Netflix docs covering similar subjects rarely if ever approach these movements from a critical point of view. They are effectively adverts for the lifestyle which are in turn adverts for the product. Which makes me wonder who is paying who for these docs to appear on the subscription service. Now I am sitting here quite enjoying another Netflix original called Next in Fashion. A high fashion, cat walk reality show that is actually quite good but back to the point. Midway through episode two the two presenters comment on each other's outfits. Fine, it is a fashion programme and presenter banter is at the heart of many reality competitiion shows. However it happens that one presenter is wearing something from the people supplying the prize money and the other is wearing her own collection. How convenient. Fairly innocent of course compared to the quite troubling pseudo science of Goop but there none the less. Wondering if anyone else has spotted anything that goes that bit beyond passive product placement on Netflix originals. Given that the company is deep in debt I wouldn't be suprised at all if this is a route Netflix originals continue to follow especially considering how much they can get away with compared to the more regulated broadcast TV.
    Apropos of this, the chief executive of the NHS in England has weighed in and basically stated that this Goop shite is modern day snake-oil and a danger to the public.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51312441
  • It is concerning to me how opaque this whole thing is.
    We understand and regulate broadcast television, when it comes to subscription TV the question really becomes who is paying who.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Finished season 2 of Peaky Blinders last night, really enjoyed that. Was looking at the episodes section on Netflix and saw there are quite a few seasons out by now, 5 or 6 I think? Are they all worth it?

New and I'm pretty sure last Bojack is out too, gonna watch that now.
  • Peaky Blinders gradually drops in quality as it goes along, but I enjoyed it all anyway. Stick with it.
  • I am so fucking jealous of Nic Pizzolatto and his talent. If I had even a tiny part in something as good as True Detective I'd explode with happiness. A perfect bit of Noir.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • Good news! Ralph Little has been cast as the new lead in Death in Paradise.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Picard episode 2 took a full slug of dumb juice. It's not that it's a bit ropey or corny, because old Trek had that in spades. But it was really paint by numbers story telling, with such overt spelling out of every last thing. So chocked full of exposition you get bored and end up following the story less than if they'd left a things open to interpretation or your imagination. 
    Spoiler:
  • It’s space nonsense with high production values. Trek always has been. I’m enjoying Cantankerous Old Duffer In Space.
  • First few trailers have landed for shows on that new Quibi short-form streaming service. Launches in April. Apparently these are going out as Superbowl ads.

• Part of the fun of Star Trek is that it’s quite shit in many ways. So I can’t hate Picard. But new Trek is shit in new ways. Ways I didn’t grow up with.
  • I've been watching Voyager cos old Trek is just good to chuck on in the background. It has real issues, especially in that it only really has two decent characters for 3 seasons (The Doctor and Tom Paris), and 90% of the episodes are... uh... it's time... thing?! 

That said, there's a stellar run from the end of S3 to about midway through S4, where it felt they really knew how to deal with the show - making getting home a real gauntlet rather than a meandering cruise - and they rely on the Doctor a lot more, giving us two stellar episodes (Messagner in a Bottle and Living Witness).

The real coup is 7 of 9 though. The Doctor, Kes and Neelix are too ammenable in their position as "The Other" so getting a Borg Drone in to wrestle with her dual identity is the final ingredient that Voyager needed to actually feel Trekky, after the legacy of the Other in Spock, Worf/Data, and Odo. So I am actually enjoying it now. Hopefully i'll be done with it in time for Picard.
  • Properly loving the re-runs of Voyager on Horror channel at the moment. The episode with the futuristic Borg drone, One, and that ending with Seven is god tier stuff. And I'll happily argue the toss with anyone over in the 'Trek thread that Voyager remains the definitive spin off series leaving DS9 and its ilk completely in its wake.

Just a pity we'll never get to see it on Blu-ray.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • I thinki t's pretty dire for the first two seasons, but that's just me!
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I love Voyager but it's very subjective. Early on, it flounders longer than the other popular spin-offs before finding its feet and the last season is bookended by one of the worst Borg stories and an underwhelming finale. But the later four seasons after the retooling are generally great and have some amazing stories. Depends whether you prefer consistency or higher highs and lower lows.

I agree it is bitterly disappointing it will likely never be remastered in HD. What makes it worse is that for Voyager the main special effects company has kept everything so it's not like the CGI can't be re-rendered.
  • First couple of Next Gen are pretty bad too tbf.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I think if Brandon Braga hadn't fucked off to do Enterprise towards the end of Voyager's run that it would have stuck the landing better and been generally better remembered. Another example of Enterprise poisoning anything it touches!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!