Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I’m watching for old times sake.
    Get schwifty.
  • God do the cast look old. Not surprising since Red Dwarf started back in 80s.
  • I was done with Red Dwarf ages ago, maybe the season with the dinosaur in it, but it was enjoyable stuff for a fair few seasons.
  • Not knocking the new one as I have no idea if it's good again, but it dropped off just as hard as Only Fools.
  • I haven't watched red dwarf since the proper final ep, the one with the time machine, the rest are shite. All that, going into the real world shit. But those new AA adverts are genuinely good imo.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Facewon wrote:
    Got free apple tv with an ipad. Anything worth it? Beasties doco any good?
    The Servant (I enjoyed it but it gets middling reviews, best to go in blind though) Morning Show is supposed to be good (but I haven’t seen it). Don’t think Beasties is out yet??
    The Servant is good, The Morning Show is excellent and there’s a game dev comedy on there by Rob off of inventing IASIP but that hasn’t reviewed too well and I’ve yet to see it.
    I find the appletv/apple+ UX horrible, which puts me off ever using it.

I did watch all of 'Mythic Quest' which is the game dev thing. I enjoyed it. Not brilliant but fun enough. you get cricket off IASIP and Abed off of Community too
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • nick_md wrote:
    I haven't watched red dwarf since the proper final ep, the one with the time machine, the rest are shite. All that, going into the real world shit. But those new AA adverts are genuinely good imo.

Seasons 1-6 are best. 7-9 are shite and not worth watching. 10-12 are ok, with the occasional really good episode.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Been working through them on Netflix recently and season one, like Blackadder, is poor.

Seasons 2-4/5 are solid and peak with the excellent Back to Reality that created a load of catch phrases for me and my mates. I still occasionally explore Dwayne Dibley from time to time :-)
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Been working through them on Netflix recently and season one, like Blackadder, is poor.

Seasons 2-4/5 are solid and peak with the excellent Back to Reality that created a load of catch phrases for me and my mates. I still occasionally explore Dwayne Dibley from time to time :-)

Will agree with that. I rewatched them about a month ago. Season 1-6. Some classic epsiodes in their. Dwayne Dibley and Ace Rimmer great alter egos
  • Stasis Leak remains the connoisseur’s choice.
  • Feature length episode was ok.
    I think the show is generally strongest when at its simplest, it requires better writing.
    The episode where they are stranded on a snow planet and Lister burns a guitar shape cut from Rimmer's canfor wood chest springs to mind.

Quarantine and The Inquisitor are also great episodes.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    All three are great episodes Liv. Think I gave up on those episodes at the prison planet (7?) so will be interesting to see the latter episodes.

What was jarring watching the older then newer episodes (I’m on the chasing down red dwarf series) and there is no canned laughter. I find it weirdly less engaging without the canned laughter and I hate it normally. It kind of feels like when you watch a stand up with a mate who doesn’t laugh and it takes the wind out of your sails when you are really enjoying it.
  • It reached its apex with White Hole.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    A white hole?
  • Only joking!
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    A white hole?
    poprock wrote:
    So what is it?

Basingstoke
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Feature length episode was ok. I think the show is generally strongest when at its simplest, it requires better writing. The episode where they are stranded on a snow planet and Lister burns a guitar shape cut from Rimmer's canfor wood chest springs to mind. Quarantine and The Inquisitor are also great episodes.

This.

Eps that focused on character interplay and less on sci-fi shenanigans worked best.  I’m going to be generous and say that seasons 1 to 6 are brilliant.  After that the show lost a writer and focused less on the funny and more on the sci-fi.

Fly me to the moon.
    Get schwifty.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Feature length episode was ok. I think the show is generally strongest when at its simplest, it requires better writing. The episode where they are stranded on a snow planet and Lister burns a guitar shape cut from Rimmer's canfor wood chest springs to mind. Quarantine and The Inquisitor are also great episodes.

It’s cos only one of the original two writers still does it.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Finished Tales from the Loop. Bit crap. It's all just flat as a fart, I think it's because of the music, which is just that constant theme no matter what's going on. Looked nice enough but I struggled to maintain interest.
  • I've watched 3 do far. Agree about the music and I keep thinking they should be half an hour long each.
  • I can get on with the music and pace. Liked ep 3.

Defintely going for a medative pace. There's moments im in the mood for that and other times I'm not, so I'm picking my times to watch.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Up to date with Better Call Saul now it continues to be excellent, gotta wait on an ep a week now though, bollocks.
  • nick_md wrote:
    I haven't watched red dwarf since the proper final ep, the one with the time machine, the rest are shite. All that, going into the real world shit. But those new AA adverts are genuinely good imo.

After 6 Rob Grant left. Judging from the books, Rob Grant was the funny one, and Doug Naylor the storyteller. 7 is weird because there isn't a studio audience, and it's not multi camera, but I don't think it's actually that bad. 8 Goes back to the original style, but introduces CGI rather than practical effects, and it's weird. Back to Earth, a few moments aside (encountering DVD's springs to mind) is rubbish.

The ones since then haven't reached the highs of series 4-6, but they're well worth watching if you enjoyed up for series 6. There is no requirement to watch anything in between as things revert to how it was with no explanation.
  • Has their ever been a 'fan poll' to decide the GOAT episode?  I would have thought Dave would have organised something like that by now.
  • Appropriately, it has to be quarantine surely?
  • nick_md wrote:

After 6 Rob Grant left. Judging from the books, Rob Grant was the funny one, and Doug Naylor the storyteller. 7 is weird because there isn't a studio audience, and it's not multi camera, but I don't think it's actually that bad. 8 Goes back to the original style, but introduces CGI rather than practical effects, and it's weird. Back to Earth, a few moments aside (encountering DVD's springs to mind) is rubbish.

The ones since then haven't reached the highs of series 4-6, but they're well worth watching if you enjoyed up for series 6. There is no requirement to watch anything in between as things revert to how it was with no explanation.

Cheers Dants, I'll start dipping in over the quarantine (which funnily enough is one of my favourite episodes).

Blocks, pretty sure there was a poll during Red Dwarf night (pre Dave/digital age pretty much, late 90s) and it was the 4 Horsemen episode. I think.

Lots of contenders for sure.

I also really like series 1 & 2, for how different they look.
  • The problem with big polls is that most people are wrong. The Four Horsemen, for best episode? What were those people smoking?
  • nick_md wrote:
    Up to date with Better Call Saul now it continues to be excellent, gotta wait on an ep a week now though, bollocks.

Agreed
  • poprock wrote:
    The problem with big polls is that most people are wrong. The Four Horsemen, for best episode? What were those people smoking?

It's a great episode but yeah, wouldn't say best. Iirc this Red Dwarf Night was when that season was the most recent, or so, so everyone was loving The Riviera Kid et al.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!