Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    What episode are you on now, Gonz?
  • What in the name of flying fu-

Not to be lost with a page turn.
  • Hahaha
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I guess he's up to this bit:

It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • What episode are you on now, Gonz?

Finished it. Binged it.

Bit event Horizon at the end. Still think it's the best TV show I've seen in a while. Why did people hate it?

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Good start descending into pure farce. Mystery box bollocks all over the place.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Might give it a go on that rec.
  • I’m finishing westworld 3 this week so I’ll have a gap in my tv viewing.
  • Why did people hate it?

Ssssseriously?

d33f2d_ebab04d4ab9c4a56a97fb410bafb3898~mv2.gif
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • I thought it was amazing, but I respect the view that it descended into farce.
    Spoiler:
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    Why did people hate it?

Ssssseriously?

d33f2d_ebab04d4ab9c4a56a97fb410bafb3898~mv2.gif

You didnt read Dune? There is also some metaphors, the worm, the devil. Dragons. Etc.

The worst bit for me was
    Spoiler:
  • Honestly, this is why GRRM sells Game of Thrones as fantasy. He has been writing the same stuff as sci fi and it's just niche stuff. Change the furniture, make it about knights and dragons, and people lap it up.

Sci fi is fantasy. There are knights templars in this show, and it turns out there are also
    Spoiler:

For Sol's sake, mother the creepy banshee is called a Necromancer.

You lot must be malfunctioning

• We can make up any definitions of science fiction, fantasy and horror that we want. We can draw our boundaries and make our labels, but in the end it's still the same old story, the one about the human heart in conflict with itself.
    The rest my friends is funiture.

The House of Fantasy is built of stone and wood and furnished in High Medieval. Its people travel by horse and galley, fight with sword and spell and battle-axe, communicate by palantir or raven, and break bread with elves and dragons.

The House of Science Fiction is built of duralloy and plastic and furnished in Faux Future. Its people travel by starship and aircar, fight with nukes and tailored germs, communicate by ansible and laser, and break protein bars with aliens.

The House of Horror is built of bone and cobwebs and furnished in Ghastly Gothick. Its people travel only by night, fight with anything that will kill messily, communicate in screams and shrieks and gibbers, and sip blood with vampires and werewolves. "
  • Star Wars isn’t sci fi imo.

To me sci fi specifically is an extrapolation of an idea where you maybe break a rule of a our understood world (or extremise something we have) and then explore a situation that happens as a consequence.

I like the Vonnegut idea that the best part of sci fi is in the title/blurb and after that the execution isn’t that much more interesting.
  • https://youtu.be/K8kwZ_7M3o0

What is sci fi then? Star Trek only?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Have you seen Nightflyers, Gonz?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Seems like it

I think something like Blade Runner where you have these multiple robots which are classed as lesser than people despite looking exactly like and thinking like people (and perhaps being created by people).

I can appreciate how telepathy etc can go into sci fi territory

I guess the dressing is not that important but more if it’s about a specific idea being explored.

Like Lord of the Rings does have a lot of weirdness compared to our world but nothing really exists to test an idea.
  • I’ve only read about Wolves rather than watched it but I agree with Gonz less prescriptive take on Sci-fi and so on. I’ve always liked Suvin’s requirement for the novum as a rule of thumb, but even that is fairly prescriptive. A lot of good scifi is rooted in the mythology of the past, or the dirty, fleshy, earthly things that make us human.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Finished Monsterland last night, which is a weird anthology series with vague sort-of-horror undertones. As with most anthologies some tales are better than others (ep2 is the only real dud in my opinion), but on the whole I thought this was really good.

On to Raised by Wolves next then, I guess.
    Get schwifty.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Blade Runner (and 2049) are all about what it is to be human, alive etc.

The three tier Human/Replicant/AI synergy and the questions it raises are great.

Raised by Wolves isn't.
  • On another note, anyone watching Nazi Carpentry with Lee Mack?
  • Have you seen Nightflyers, Gonz?

No I haven't, I read the book though. I'll give it a try, couldn't get past episode 1 first try

• Raiziel wrote:

You've got to finish Lovecraft Country first!

I think something like Blade Runner where you have these multiple robots which are classed as lesser than people despite looking exactly like and thinking like people (and perhaps being created by people).

I can appreciate how telepathy etc can go into sci fi territory

I guess the dressing is not that important but more if it’s about a specific idea being explored.

Like Lord of the Rings does have a lot of weirdness compared to our world but nothing really exists to test an idea.

The point is, the story is always about the same thing. In blade runner it is "do I exist? Does she exist? What does being a human mean? What is real".

Star trek - what's our aim guys? What is the point of all this, where are we trying to go?

I like this show because
    Spoiler:
    . William Faulkner, the human heart in conflict with itself. That's what the GRRM blurb is trying to tell us.

All sci fi is fantasy in a different setting. And fantasy is us in a different setting. All good fiction is about us, now.

• Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Blocks100 wrote:
    Raiziel wrote:

You've got to finish Lovecraft Country first!

Urgh. Do I have to?
    Get schwifty.
  • No you don't. It sounds bobbins
  • It’s great and you have terrible taste in television Gonz.
  • Thanks bud!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!