The TV you like thread
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Anyone watching Dark Materials s2? They’re putting UHD episodes on iPlayer for those wot have that option. Didn’t notice the option until this week, but it did look lovely. I think they’ve got all previous eps in 4K on there too.

Oooh.  The first series was a very pleasant surprise.  Which reminds me I have the first two books of the new trilogy sitting unread on my shelf of neglect.
  • The new books are great, especially the first one. Better than the original trilogy I reckon.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Did anyone else watch Mangrove?  First of a new series ("Small Axe") by Steve McQueen - each telling a different story.  My wife put it on telling me they were a series of short films, so I was expecting 15 minutes or so.  It's just over 2 hours...  (Subsequent episodes are apparently about an hour).

Having said that it's well worth 2 hours of your life.  It recounts the story of the Mangrove Nine, who were arrested and charged with riot and affray in 1970, following a protest against repeated raids on The Mangrove - a local restaurant and community hub in Notting Hill.

In many ways it's a classic bit of BBC film making - a period piece documenting an important (and neglected) piece of history, and a good old fashioned courtroom drama.  However McQueen makes it his own, adding a painterly air to many of the visuals, such that the lingering shots of people waiting in courtrooms feel welcome rather than indulgent. He also does a great job of making it clear why The Mangrove was important, exploring its role in the lives of the people who went there, and leaving me wishing I could go and hang out there too.
  • It got a five star review in Empire so it's on my list but I've not watched it yet.  His second in the Small Axe series (Lovers Rock) also got five stars (it's a mere 70 minutes rather than two hours, apparently).
  • kow, i'm having a totally different experience with it. There's so much tension and knifedge shit. I don't think Rock is great or shit, he's fine for the job. I'm on ep7
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • @Tin, I'd follow Steve McQueen anywhere so I am going to watch it at some point, he's a powerhouse of a director. Thanks for the reminder.

We are still plugging away at the Leftovers, with the AV Club Reviews as a chaser. It continues to be top tier television if you can get over the fact that the character stuff is incredibly well drawn, brilliantly acted, and brazen in its depictions of violence/grief/loss/depression etc. Every actor is great, and Season 2's addition of the Murphy family and change of location is really interesting. 

All of that does of course clash incredibly with the show's overarching mystery. I get the feeling Lindelof sort of learned a lesson from Lost, but I am not sure that lesson was "explain your shit" but rather, "your shit doesn't need to be explained if it exists as a test of faith - which seems to be the only unifying theme so far. Not faith as in religious or spiritual (though these two points are often in question) but just faith in something, be that the aforementioned god stuff, or reason, or human integrity, or the power to learn/grow.

So far season 2 has just be pummelling me and my partner with its emotional heaviness, there's a real nastiness running through the twisty puzzle box narrative, last night we watched "No Room at the Inn" where everyone's favourite priest proudly exclaimed his favourite book of the bible was the Book of Job, - the only book of the bible any TV/Film writer ever bothers to read or reference extensively - whilst himself being Job, and going through an ungodly amount of suffering in the space of a day. He remains an incredibly compelling character, and Lindelof refusing to answer the question everyone wants to know about his situation is exactly why the episode works so well - we have either accept he is correct, or doubt him, and it colours everything in the episode so beautifully.

Small point about the AV Club though: I used to really enjoy chasing an episode of something with these reviews, they were often fantastically digestible little chunks of writing, tying things together, doing the research for you, pointing out little Easter Eggs you might have missed. The Leftovers reviews have been pretty frustrating though, the S1 was by an associate editor who seemed to only care about her own life and how the show reflected it, and S2 and S3 are passed on to someone else who is far less self involved, but seems to be unable to do the basic fact checking, especially for "No Room at the Inn" where the final paragraph of his review massively contradicts what happens in the episode
    Spoiler:
    Shame to have the neat little ritual of watch/read disrupted by subpar writing on a site i'd grown to trust.
  • I loved the Leftovers, see page 200 of this thread or something - so its hazy but I was sure there was supposed to be a S4 but midway through S3 they canned it so it wasn't the planned ending. 

But then I loved lost so what do i know
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Everyone's here with their eloquent opinions about a diverse range of credible television and I'm just sat here like 'the crown go brrrrr'.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    kow, i'm having a totally different experience with it. There's so much tension and knifedge shit. I don't think Rock is great or shit, he's fine for the job. I'm on ep7

Fair enough. I can't make any sense of it. The central premise about the kids seems ridiculous and the various story threads are all over the place. There doesn't seem to be any point or direction to it.
  • fear the walking dead has been back since oct, i'm binge watching it now. I massively prefer this bunch now over the original cast. The plot is slow but it doesn't matter as much as I care more about the characters.
  • Is Fargo a high seas jobbie or a streamer?

I quite like the look of The Good Lord Bird on Sky Atlantic.  Don't mind a bit of Ethan Hawke. 

@Tempy also stars Daveed Diggs.
  • Fargo is Netfrix.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Not season 4 though. Channel 4 have shown the last three before they went to Fletnix, but as far as I know they haven’t got this one lined up.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'll be interested to see if anyone thinks it's as shit as I do.
  • I’ve enjoyed what I’ve watched so far (3 eps).
  • Oh sweet, I didn't know season 4 is new. Natch.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • More writing on Leftovers plz Tempu.

I'll be interested to hear what you think of the 3rd season. I liked it quite a bit but the 2nd season is the best and is brilliant.
  • We watched “Lens” last night which was brilliant, I very much enjoyed Carrie Corona and Regina King facing off against each other. Show manages to do so much work with its weird little supernatural asides.
  • Yerp. Like you say, it does feel like Lindelof learnt something post-Lost in how to put together this kind of show. Or maybe he just found a better team of writers to work with. Having Justin Theroux as your lead doesn't hurt either
  • I actually like how much they’ve stuck Theroux in the back seat now. He was the world’s shittest, angriest cop in season one and it got a bit tedious. He really came into his own for “The Garvey’s at their Best” and i’m glad that he’s getting to play up to his strengths, but he’s nothing vs Matt, Nora, John and Erika.
  • It's probably a massive tax avoidance scheme, but fuck it, I'll take any good news that's going these days.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Couldn't give a shit about the soccerball club but regardless of whether or not the £6K donation was PR-related it's made the lives of some people in difficult circumstances just a little bit better.
  • Absolutely. It's a lovely thing that.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Gman pretends to be happy for tax reasons.
  • Kow pretends that g.man is pretending for pretend tax reasons.
  • I'd certainly be happier if I was due to pay less tax this year. January's bill is fookin' massive :(
  • You're fine, it's pretend tax.  Just pretend to pay it.
  • Sounds legit.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!