The TV you like thread
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    That’s Can’t Get You Out of My Head done. I thought it was pretty great, to be honest. Felt like it picked up all the various threads of Curtis’s career so far and wove them together into something that managed to be much more all encompassing, and even managed to offer up some hope at the end.

I’d suggest not attempting to binge this if you are planning to watch it, I did an episode per night over the past week. Allowing a bit of a gap between episodes and letting them percolate individually seems to work with this. I didn’t find it quite as confusing and disjointed as other people, each episode seemed to work individually, centred around various themes, but they could start to run together and seem a bit messier if you tried to binge them.
  • I didn’t find it very confusing, just don’t think there was a strong enough case to link events together causatively. It’s like “look! This happened. And THEN, that happened, see?” And I’m like no I don’t see. I mean i can see how it seems that way, maybe they are linked in some way, but you’ve not shown your working and please turn off this twee music
  • I thought it was good, albeit standard Curtis. I enjoyed it. I watched 6hrs in one evening because I'm big brain.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I felt like most of the stories weren’t supposed to be showing causal links, but rather illustrating aspects of the core argument about how power mutates over time.
  • nick_md wrote:
    I thought it was good, albeit standard Curtis. I enjoyed it. I watched 6hrs in one evening because I'm big brain.

You were blazing, don't fuckin lie to me
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • It's been so long since I did I cannae remember what's it's like :/
  • The consistent theme seemed to be everyone is susceptible to paranoia because humans are terrible at really processing anything and so just make constellations out of things.

Sometimes I think he characterises people in a weird way (I’m not convinced that Michael X - fucking hilarious by the way - deserved the label of idealist or whatever positive spin it had. Seemed like a cynical dude to me)

The ending was a bit of a shoehorn to me because everything felt bleak.

It’ll be interesting to see what a post now looks like and I think his idea that inside a system it’s impossible to conceive of a system different to the system (eg when there were peasants and landlords that seems so far from capitalism). I guess what is possible is that the system that makes tomorrow is kind of radically different but grows through some organic thing that catches fire (the way that money did).

I think the robot one and the putins minister of theatre one are the best.
  • It was weird hearing him say Tupac Shakur a lot.
  • Loads of content has dropped on Disney+ with the introduction of the 'Star' channel. What this actually means is there's now a shit-ton of second rate American TV and some mostly piss poor films that you've seen before.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Disney+ is growing up into a real streaming service!
  • You say that but they have a lot of wes Anderson films and also Buffy and Lost which is fun.
  • Actually, my settings were set to under age and now I've adjusted them there's some pretty good stuff on there. Grosse Point Blank!
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I can’t get excited about this tonne of back catalogue stuff. A nice bonus if you subscribe anyway but not a reason to start, if you know what I mean.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    Actually, my settings were set to under age and now I've adjusted them there's some pretty good stuff on there. Grosse Point Blank!

> Yew tree klaxon <
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • poprock wrote:
    I can’t get excited about this tonne of back catalogue stuff. A nice bonus if you subscribe anyway but not a reason to start, if you know what I mean.

I literally started because of it. But then I haven’t seen mandoloran or wandavision. I mostly got it for lost.
  • I think you’re an outlier there then. But hey, I could be wrong.
  • i'd guess most people signed up to disney+ for the back catalogue initially. access to all the disney classics, not-so-classics, and tv stuff is a great service for those with kids especially.
    adding more 'back catalogue' stuff also just increases the amount of things to watch. personally i'm quite happy to have access to lots of stuff i know i like, with a few new things, rather than something that's more heavily weighted to just new stuff.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Yep, samesies.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • poprock wrote:
    I think you’re an outlier there then. But hey, I could be wrong.

It’s more that I didn’t think the original stuff was worth it on its own and I don’t think the new stuff is worth it on its own buy together for less than £60 for a year is okay to me.
  • Considering what Disney owned I expected there to be more on the stars thing when it launched given how poor the fox selection has been up until now. I just had a flick through everything there and there's still not very much.

Maybe it takes time to digitise stuff I guess.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I wonder if they're deliberately drip-feeding. I looked up Planet of the Apes and there's only the original, the 2001 reboot and Dawn from the new trilogy (i.e. one of each).
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Some of it might be caught up in airing/streaming rights contracts.
    It isnt the most extensive of libraries. What is nice though is that you don't have to sift through the real bottom end of stuff that pads out Netflix and Prime.
  • Yeah amazon need some serious curation in their documentaries. Vast majority are C&I fuzzy 90s shite with bad reconstructions.

Speak of amazon docs, they've announced Juve as their latest All Or Nothing. Some season to do it, welp.
  • Amazon Prime is weird. They’ve tried to make their own version of YouTube whereby absolutely anyone can upload videos. That’s where the real bottom-tier stuff is coming from - it’s just stuff randoms have uploaded to Amazon Video Direct, and it comes up in your Amazon Prime Video search results.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I did wonder where they found so much shite.
  • I think Starz on Disney+ means I can watch Atlanta season 2 at last.

Also if you haven't watched Atlanta then watch Atlanta
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’ve watched Atlanta, so I’m good.

I wonder if they’re planning to add Louie to it ever?
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I’ve watched Atlanta, so I’m good.

I wonder if they’re planning to add Louie to it ever?

Doubt it what with his actions
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I’ve watched Atlanta, so I’m good. I wonder if they’re planning to add Louie to it ever?

I suspect Louie will suffer the same fate as the Chris Langham episode of The Muppet Show.  (In other words, I doubt it.)
  • Noticed that Die Hard sequels were there but not the original.  Hopefully it's not just a dumping ground for unwanted films.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!