The TV you like thread
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I didnt mind the ending either, at least wasn't as upset as most seem to be. The first four seasons are the cream, its the same for the books. At least the show has an ending.

The only outstanding show I can think of that gets better after the first season is Black Adder. I'm sure there are others but the first season has the benefit of originality. Succession was pretty consistent but the first season was still the best.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Actually, sci fi can improve. Things like Star Trek.
  • I didn't think much of the first season of Breaking Bad at the time...
  • I need to give that a go.
  • I like things that are only made for a single season and that's it. Godless on Netflix is excellent.
  • GoT reduced the number of episodes in latter seasons to spend more on each without fucking the overall budget.

And the acting in Three Body Problem absolutely does not improve. At all. (Benedict Wong phones his character in and still acts the others off the screen with ease.) It really does feel like a low budget ITV sci-fi drama all the way through. I quite enjoyed it anyway, but it’s not a Big TV Event by any stretch of the imagination.
  • Just watched the Curb finale. Brilliant.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    The only outstanding show I can think of that gets better after the first season is Black Adder.
    The wire, sopranos, Seinfeld, the bear, breaking bad etc?
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • The only outstanding show I can think of that gets better after the first season is Black Adder.
    The wire, sopranos, Seinfeld, the bear, breaking bad etc?
    I suspect the statement is more about being significantly better after a disappointing first season, rather than a good series improving.

Parks and Rec jumps to my mind as a great show with a really poor first season.
    Always Sunny is often talked about as making a big improvement with season 2, though i still find the first was funny just very roughly made (due to budget and experience etc)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Started Always Sunny for the first time only recently and thought the first few were pretty good, jumped forward to one of the latest to see if it was worth sticking with and thought what I landed on was terrible, much worse, so ditched it.
    I did like the first couple of Parks and Rec more, mainly because it was just like The Office, but just drifted away from that too. Maybe I’ll go back and give it more of a chance.
  • Bojack got better. Maybe not consistently improving, but a jump up after S1.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    JMW wrote:
    Started Always Sunny for the first time only recently and thought the first few were pretty good, jumped forward to one of the latest to see if it was worth sticking with and thought what I landed on was terrible, much worse, so ditched it. I did like the first couple of Parks and Rec more, mainly because it was just like The Office, but just drifted away from that too. Maybe I’ll go back and give it more of a chance.

Its fucking amazing, but its highs are REAL HIGH but its lows are unexplored ocean depths level.
  • JMW wrote:
    Started Always Sunny for the first time only recently and thought the first few were pretty good, jumped forward to one of the latest to see if it was worth sticking with and thought what I landed on was terrible, much worse, so ditched it. I did like the first couple of Parks and Rec more, mainly because it was just like The Office, but just drifted away from that too. Maybe I’ll go back and give it more of a chance.
    Always Sunny is prob my favourite TV thing. While there are some eps and later seasons that maybe don't hit the heights (though last season was really good), and some of the changes could be jarring jumping from first to later seasons...if you enjoyed the first few eps then you really shouldn't deny yourself some of the ridiculous magic to come just because you hit an episode that didn't work for you.
  • The gang saves the day is amazing!
  • Loads of programmes have a slightly ropey first season before they find their groove. The Simpsons is another.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The last few seasons of Sunny have been dismal. They really need to find something new to do. And not that fucking game development thing.
  • On the Twin Peaks chat.
    g.man wrote:
    Season two may or may not turn out to be something of a slog for you (it's divisive), but there's still gold in them thar hills, and if you haven't seen season three, then you should at the very least think of S2 as prepping for the S3 pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Plus Fire Walk With Me in the middle too.
  • gonna watch this three bodies malarky
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Men Behaving Badly got way better when Enfield was replaced by Morrisey from S2.
  • Just cancelled Disney + and fortunately got full refund...after they just renewed it for a year at new full price of 110.
    Had no idea they'd introduced 3 tiers of pricing like netflix, and wasn't expecting to renew at so much more than previous years.
  • JMW, ignore Parks & Rec season one. Thank us later.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Anyone else enjoying Shogun? I'm loving it, apart from the fact that the English guy walks like he's just shit himself.
  • It’s a bit dense for me, but I’m enjoying it anyway. Watching it in parallel with Ripley, and the contrast in ‘stuff’ is dramatic. Shogun is rich, textured, overflowing with too much dialogue at times. Ripley is slow, quiet, and distant.
  • My Disney will run out this weekend, which means missing the final 2 Shoguns.

It's been excellent so far.
  • I cancelled Disney recently, but will probably go back for a month to watch Shogun at some point.

In the meantime, I've hopped over to Amazon for a bit. Mr and Mrs Smith is very good.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Shogun is really good, yeah. The story is complex enough but also well enough structured that you don't get lost. My only gripe is that Cosmo Jarvis should have learned some Portuguese.
  • JonB wrote:
    In the meantime, I've hopped over to Amazon for a bit. Mr and Mrs Smith is very good.
    Aye. That one surprised me. Far more fun than I expected. And quite beautifully shot too.
  • Kow wrote:
    Shogun is really good, yeah. The story is complex enough but also well enough structured that you don't get lost. My only gripe is that Cosmo Jarvis should have learned some Portuguese.

Just watched the penultimate episode and despite getting off to a strong start, I've found the pace of the subsequent episodes to be plodding in the extreme. Like, nothing ever happens.. Even Cosmo says as much. "You made a Jap Lord, but to do what?".

I thought it might be a TV version of Ghost of Tsushima and Shogun : Total War - lots of swishy Samurai sword fights and epic battles - but it really isn't is it?

They better be saving all that for the last episode.

It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!