The TV you like thread
  • I vaguely remember Moondial. It was terrifying.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Apparently the Owl Service was broadcast in 1968, I'm not sure how old you think the old forumers are.

Moondial does ring a vague bell with me, but that's about it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Older forumers - do you remember shows such as: The Owl Service, Children of the Stones, Moondial?

Children of the Stones was excellent. Really creepy and scary for kids. It's all on YouTube, I think.

• I was banking on the fact it might have been re-run, I'm not old enough to have seen Jon Pertwee's doctor air, but it was re-run when I was a kid.
  • Yeah I saw loads of those Pertwee ones. They used to put them on on Sunday lunchtimes.
  • Good to know people remember some of them as scary, we're looking at them on the course and they're weirder than i'd have expected
  • I remember the moondial well
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Do they still make way out there kids programs like Stig of the Dump and Catweazel? Children of the Stones was scary but the 80s stuff was mental.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Actually, just checked and Catweazle was 1970. They must have been rerunning it for decades.
  • Stig of the Dump and Catweazel were both adapted from popular kids books. I think most of the drama stuff on children’s telly in the ’70s & ’80s was. Chocky, The Tomorrow People, etc.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    And it turns out there's a 2002 remake of Stig. Fuck sake.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Stig of the Dump and Catweazel were both adapted from popular kids books. I think most of the drama stuff on children’s telly in the ’70s & ’80s was. Chocky, The Tomorrow People, etc.

Catweazle wasn't based on a book, it was an original screenplay.

• Kow wrote:
    Catweazle wasn't based on a book, it was an original screenplay.

Bloody hell, you’re right. Must have been books-of-the-show that I read at school then.
  • Hang on.

Fresh prince of bel air?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yeah, it's a nice little story all about how, Will Smith's life got flipped, turned upside-down.
  • Yeah, my thoughts too.
    Hi Hosting - Fast and Reliable UK Web Hosting
    We host a number of bears and badgers, get in touch if want a website too!
  • Anyone watching black sails?

Wasn't sure at first. Much more orchestrated storyline than Vikings, but man it's good.
    Every season seems to end with epic action scenes.
    Great drama, action and scenery.

Also cheers for the Stranger Things recommendations, that was great.

If anyone's looking for comedy BBC3 seem to be doing some good stuff.
    3rd series of Uncle was great. Doesn't seem to have the popularity it deserves I think.
    Fleabag was pretty good too.

Taboo's pretty good, but whoever said it's missing something I agree. Only 5 episodes in, but there's something hollow about it.
    Perhaps it is just the monotone stylistic approach. Or that the characters don't really seem alive?
    A bit like a stage play. It's as if you go through the fog and turn a corner you'll find it's all plywood cut outs.

Black sails on the other hand feels like a living world.

Shame this is going to be the last season, but that's probably a good thing, otherwise they'd just be shifting allegiances and making stuff up to keep it going. 
    Spoiler:
    If you like Vikings, Game of Thrones, The Last Kingdom etc. can highly recommend Black Sales.
    Amazon's got some good stuff. Prime's a bit of a no brainer.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Black Sales? Is it about zombie hordes trying to get big tv sets?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Black Sayles, it's about an afro-liverpudlian marxist comedian in the 80s.
  • Dan wrote:
    Anyone watching black sails? Wasn't sure at first. Much more orchestrated storyline than Vikings, but man it's good. Every season seems to end with epic action scenes. Great drama, action and scenery. Also cheers for the Stranger Things recommendations, that was great. If anyone's looking for comedy BBC3 seem to be doing some good stuff. 3rd series of Uncle was great. Doesn't seem to have the popularity it deserves I think. Fleabag was pretty good too. Taboo's pretty good, but whoever said it's missing something I agree. Only 5 episodes in, but there's something hollow about it. Perhaps it is just the monotone stylistic approach. Or that the characters don't really seem alive? A bit like a stage play. It's as if you go through the fog and turn a corner you'll find it's all plywood cut outs. Black sails on the other hand feels like a living world. Shame this is going to be the last season, but that's probably a good thing, otherwise they'd just be shifting allegiances and making stuff up to keep it going. 
    Spoiler:
    If you like Vikings, Game of Thrones, The Last Kingdom etc. can highly recommend Black Sales. Amazon's got some good stuff. Prime's a bit of a no brainer.

Thats my sisters friends sister. She's sound as fuck.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Hannah New? Can imagine, she seems pretty down to earth. A girl you could have a pint and a laugh with.

I think Black Sails handles nudity better than game of thrones etc. Seems more genuine.

Great series.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Older forumers - do you remember shows such as: The Owl Service, Children of the Stones, Moondial?
    I remember the second two.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • From the first episode Children of the Stones seemed like a kids version of The Quatermass Experiment, is that a sound guess?

The Owl Service was surreal. Worth scouting around for, it was the first fully scripted colour show by Granada, and a lot of it was filmed in Wales as opposed to the studio. Some really weird imagery and ideas going on in it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Children of the Stones scared the shit out of me when I saw it. It is a bit Quatermassy yeah. It has the same feel as some episodes of Tales of the Unexpected or the 80s run of Hammer Horror tv episodes (which were also great).
  • Recommend you look into "Escape Into Night" which was a scary kids tv series from the early 70s and was remade as the excellent film "Paperhouse" in the late 80s, if you're studying this sort of thing.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Dan wrote:
    Anyone watching black sails?

Wasn't sure at first. Much more orchestrated storyline than Vikings, but man it's good.
    Every season seems to end with epic action scenes.
    Great drama, action and scenery.

Aye, 'tis a blinder of a show. Loved the idea of a Treasure Island prequel when I first about it but it's exceeded any expectations I had. Its interpretations of certain real life pirates and how their stories are blended in with those of the characters from the book are really well done. I'll be sad to see it go.
  • g.man wrote:
    Recommend you look into "Escape Into Night" which was a scary kids tv series from the early 70s and was remade as the excellent film "Paperhouse" in the late 80s, if you're studying this sort of thing.

I might get it for personal interest, this is only really going to be for an exam now as the essay is already done.
  • g.man wrote:
    Recommend you look into "Escape Into Night" which was a scary kids tv series from the early 70s and was remade as the excellent film "Paperhouse" in the late 80s, if you're studying this sort of thing.
    Shit you've just dredged up a memory, I did the DVD sleeve for that movie in the early 2000's.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Fincher. Serial killers. FBI. Netflix. October.

• I read the book by John Douglas. It's a good/disturbing read. Some fucked up people out there, many of whom are in America.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!