The TV you like thread
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Finally got around to watching Rick and Morty and binnged watched the first two seasons. Any other adult cartoons that I should have seen / should be watching? (Other than Family Guy).

All the stuff that everyone else has said.  But also...  I don't think anyone's mentioned Gravity Falls yet.  It's a kids show, but it has a certain amount of DNA in common with Rick and Morty, being a sort of X-Files with kids.  It even has a literally blink and you'll miss it crossover.

My entire family was slightly obsessed with it for a while, so certainly worth a look.

The other one no-one's mentioned is Monkey Dust, Harry Thompson's incredibly dark, and most definitely not for the kids, animated sketch show which aired on BBC 3 back when it wasn't shit. Some of it's dated, but a lot of it's still damn good, if not actively prophetic.  (It was released in 2003)

• Monkey Dust is so bloody dark in places.
    The suicide Dad, bloody hell!

I still do Ivan Dobsky impressions every now and again.
  • Tempy wrote:
    The Daddy wrote:
    Why has nobody mentioned South Park? Absolutely top drawer social and political satire.
    I assumed it was a little bit too obvious tbh

Probably, but always worth a mention.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Psychoville.

Forgot how good this is. Much better than series 3 of League of Gentleman.
    David is brilliant.
  • To be fair, gouging your eyes out with a spoon is more enjoyable than S3 of LoG.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • The Pauline episode is good. The rest not so much.
  • I'll second shouts for Monkey Dust and Samurai Jack, and add The Powerpuff Girls.
  • I'll mention (again) Amazing World of Gumball as a kids programme which includes astute exposition and gags for adults.
    Stopharage wrote:
    I've watched a bit of TV with the kids over the Easter hols and have been blown away by how consistently great The Amazing World of Gumball is. 

Just seen one episode (10 mins long) which was about explaining love. It's a sublime piece of TV. That kids' TV can be this great is uplifting. 

The whole thing is below and worth 10 minutes of anyone's time. 
    Love, love, love, love, love.

• Man Made Planet coming up this week on Channel 4 looks good if a bit depressing.

Lots of time-lapse footage from space of man's impact on the landscape.
  • Aethelred engaging in Joffery levels of cuntery in Last Kingdom tonight.

Over-the-shoulder cam work during the ambush scene was exquisite too.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Its the once every 3 year occasion I accidently watch Dr Who.
    Still shit.
  • :)
  • When Louis Met...
    Has been added to Netflix, previously they only had the Paul Daniels episode.
    Just watching the Hamilton's ep. Interesting to watch given what has happened to the media and especially Max Clifford since.
  • Its the once every 3 year occasion I accidently watch Dr Who. Still shit.

I quite liked it.  The new companion's considerably less irritating than Clara, and Capaldi finally seems comfortable (maybe its the knowledge he's leaving).  

That said, I've noticed that I have a soft spot for what I would otherwise categorise as "crap" at present, so perhaps my quality filter is off.  Case in point - I'm really enjoying the second series of Legends of Tomorrow, despite declaring that absolutely nothing would persuade me to watch it again after the po-faced repetitive tedium of the first.  It turns out that the same thing that made me watch the first persuaded me to watch the second - namely my kids - and this is a lot, well, not better per se, but certainly much more fun.  They've realised that the whole premise of the show (C-list superheroes travel through time) is basically cheesy shit, and have embraced it.  The first episode doesn't just feature Nazis, a T-Rex, and lesbian sex with the Queen of France - it also spells out their new-found disregard for feigning any scientific credibility whatsoever by punching Einstein in the face.

So, yeah, maybe I'm just really in the mood for watching bad telly at the moment...  

(Though seriously, under no circumstances watch the first series of Legends - even in my current mood, it's still irredeemably terrible.)
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I like Doctor Who in theory but I couldn't stand any of the Capaldi stuff, which is a pity as I like him as an actor.
  • Based on the episode "pilot" (call a doctor my sides have split) doctor who seems less serious about itself and the companion is far more fun. Clara had a similar initial feel though so we'll see how it goes.
  • The wife loves Legends and I've watched a bit now and I agree, they know it's cheesy nonsense and embrace it. Not sure which series I've been watching but the whole Spear of Destiny thing is utterly ridiculous. The acting is hammier than a cheese and ham sandwich.

But it's decent background noise while I play on the WiiU or whatever, with some occasional genuine funny moments.

Plus every now and then I get to go "Barrowman!" Tennant-style.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Finally got around to watching Rick and Morty and binnged watched the first two seasons. Any other adult cartoons that I should have seen / should be watching? (Other than Family Guy).

New season of Archer has just started, if you shiny know what I'm talking about them you have seven series to catch up on you lucky bugger
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • BCS S3 E1.

Ten minutes watching a man deconstructing a car, it's like some fucking James May show.
  • Last episode of top gear. Jay Kay still an utter bellend.
    The Forum Herald™
  • New Bear Grills Island. Loving Frank's  'leadership' skills by running off down the beach with the two jerry cans.  'Young Persons' Island - they forget to take the cans with them as they embark into the rainforest. 1 - 0 to the Oldies so far.
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    New Bear Grills Island. Loving Frank's  'leadership' skills by running off down the beach with the two jerry cans.  'Young Persons' Island - they forget to take the cans with them as they embark into the rainforest. 1 - 0 to the Oldies so far.
    Yup gman knocking it out of the park so far.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Having made fire, established Base Camp and purified water, Oldies party into the night. Youngun's go to bed early having failed to do anything. 2 -0 to Oldies. This is going to be a slaughter.
  • Christ. Latest development. Show ruined.
  • Nah, battle lines have been drawn here, they're not going to merge.
  • You would have thought after almost
    Spoiler:
    Frank would have learnt some humility, but oh no.
  • Spoiler:
    While he had the drive he's going to be a pain in the arse. You could tell that incident REALLY got to him.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    @Bollock, looking forward to American Gods, didn't really knew it was coming, but saw the posters on LA the other day. Interested, enjoyed the book.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Yar with Neil heavily involved they're getting a lot right it seems.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!