The TV you like thread
  • He means The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.
  • Dan wrote:
    Not read Farenheit 451. Heard it was a classic. It's academically studied. But reviews tend to actually slate it. From what I can tell it's not at all on par with 1984 or Brave New World.

I haven't read Fahrenheit 451 in years, but I loved it as a teenager, and think if anything it's underrated.  People are forever harping on about the relative prescience of 1984 and Brave New World, but 451 is every bit their equal in that respect, albeit with a slightly different take.  The central themes - mankind choosing to censor itself primarily because no-one wants to be challenged or offended, the loss of human communication to various forms of entertainment - remains pretty relevant 65 years after it was written.

I can understand people hating it though.  Bradbury's style isn't for everyone, and he's quite prone to lengthy patches of exposition.  Equally you can make the case that the book is as much diatribe as novel, an intellectual railing against the incomprehensible and terrifying distractions embraced by the rest of the modern world.  The fevered scribblings of a grumpy old man.  Except...  My favourite bit of the entire book is a lengthy lecture by the protagonist's boss, which absolutely lives up to all of those criticisms and yet it's absolutely great, a near perfect representation of how to rationalise evil.  So there.

Besides, it's really short, you can finish it off in an evening - so there's no excuse for not reading it. 

Anyway.  Telly.  Handmaid's Tale is an incredible book, and I'm intrigued/ terrified to see the TV version.  
    Spoiler:
  • Everyone should watch the atlas shrugged films instead for the comedy irony where it had a lower and lower budget (because of shiteness) and couldn't keep the same cast for any film through the trilogy. Also the quiet one of penn and teller shows up.
  • Irony is Rand was on welfare and Medicaid.
  • TV not books.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I agree Tin, Fahrenheit 451 is fantastic. Read it loads as a teenager also. Love the 60's movie too.
  • For those interested, cool longish form review of atlas shrugged.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/daylightatheism/2013/03/atlas-shrugged-a-novel-for-the-1/

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Atlas is the reader, right?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Partridge Shrugged.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I really liked Fahrenheit 451 when I read it recently. Yes it's fiction not literature, but I enjoyed the writing style & clarity of vision. Up there with 1984 & BMW IMO.

Not read Handmaiden's Tale but will seek it out. Only Atwood on my shelves is The Blind Assassin, which is unread.

Anyone read We?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I've only just caught up with the first couple of episodes, but I'm a sucker for Britain's Got Talent, purely for moments such as these:

Holy shit she's good.
  • Indeed. I usually watch this phase of BGT and then none of the live shows.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • What's this TV shit. Isn't this the book thread?
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Indeed. I usually watch this phase of BGT and then none of the live shows.

That's part of the trouble with the format. Some of the talent is rather one dimensional so it's great on the audition but they can't really do anything else when they've got to do something fresh for the live shows
    The Forum Herald™
  • Watched the first episode and a half of Iron Fist. It's like King Fury but without the parody.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's no worse than the other Netflix Marvel stuff. I don't know why everyone was so down on it.
  • I didn't know people were down on it. I thought it was watchable at least.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Got savaged on t'interwebz.
  • Well they don't like anything do they
  • WorKid wrote:
    What's this TV shit. Isn't this the book thread?

Bringing it back on topic, Kindle version of Fahrenheit 451 is meant to be poor, much like Dune - think dodgy OCR. Otherwise would have got it by now.

Would like to read it, sounds good.

Seem's there's a lot more TV (and film) adaptations recently. It's always been done, but there are quite a few big examples recently. Anyone read American Gods? Will likely watch it before reading it.
    Hi Hosting - Fast and Reliable UK Web Hosting
    We host a number of bears and badgers, get in touch if want a website too!
  • I listened to the audio book of American Gods last summer, was good. It was a full cast reading, worked really well. Dunno how it'll hold up on TV though, I think the book might be too fresh in my mind.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • The Daddy wrote:
    I listened to the audio book of American Gods last summer, was good. It was a full cast reading, worked really well. Dunno how it'll hold up on TV though, I think the book might be too fresh in my mind.

They've apparently added a lot for the TV version.  Some stuff Gaiman wanted to put in but couldn't due to length, some just made up to make it work on TV.  Supposedly the entire finale to series one is a scene that doesn't exist in the book.  (Though that could be the usual promotional hyperbole).  

I'm looking forward to it, as I suspect it'll be quite a visual feast if nothing else.
    Spoiler:
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    The new series of Orange is the New Black, due to air in June, has been leaked by that hacker lol
  • Has he leaked the whole thing now then? I know he leaked the first episode as proof. Apparently he has more shows as well.

Netflix should just put it up if it is ready.
  • They might have a load of contractual stuff that prevents it - guarantees to other programs of prominence in their listings, windows of time they have to allow before their next thing etc. Alternatively they might just chuck them all out tomorrow - what do I know?

Watched the first episode of the Handmaids Tale. That program is good and dark as hell.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Has he leaked the whole thing now then? I know he leaked the first episode as proof. Apparently he has more shows as well. Netflix should just put it up if it is ready.

Yup, all are out.
  • I feel sorry for the place that got hacked. I read it was a small place, probably doing reversioning for territories or something. Could end the company.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yeah the titles of the releases are as they were when hacked, seems they were finishing the last little touches of work on them as there are timecodes and watermarks, so technically a workprint.

Titled such as ORANGEep5006 LOCKED v2 for SOUND 1013-H264_SD_16x9.mov
  • I don't think it will effect netflix that much. 
    The people who will torrent this hack aren't likely going to subscribe or give up their existing subscription anyway. 
    The movie companies used to throw figures around all the time about how many copies of a film had been downloaded and how that equalled x amount of revenue lost. One download doesn't necessarily equal one lost sale, I'd wager the vast majority of downloaders had zero intention of spending any money on any version of the film in question.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Who's so desperate to see Orange is the New Black anyway? If it was Game of Thrones or something maybe.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!