All tings GRiD inc. GRiD2 & GRiD Autosport
  • I like both.. but this is perhaps a touch to arcadey.
    The Forum Herald™
  • That's fair enough. Personally I love Grid 2 but I'm keeping an eye on Project CARS by Slightly Mad Studios, see if they can refine the issues I had with Shift 2.

No idea when it's supposed to be out though. My PC would likely struggle with it so I'm waiting on the console version.
  • Just got my first Front Wheel Drive car! What da you know?? Tailout powerslides for the win?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I should really stick Grid back in as I barely touched it...
  • I'm really starting to see the difference in handling between cars now. My Golf can be chucked around corners nicely, but accelerate too soon and the tyres will grip the road and send you rocketing in whatever direction you're facing - often leading to understeering into a wall/off the track.
    If I do the same thing in a Mustang, I'm spinning - often with the same result (wall/off the track).

With some of the different race types, it's starting to feel an awful lot like a PGR spin-off.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    It's growing on me.
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Me to. I'm still not entirely convinced, but I'm getting into it. Who has it for 360? Multiplayer might be fun, haven't tried it yet.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Surprise, surprise - moan-fest in every thread.

This is very decent. Nice mix of arcadey but subtle handling. And given the fact the PC version runs at 60fps and looks like what you lot are hankering for with 'next gen', then i'll say yeah, money well spent!
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    Curtis wrote:

its called discussion.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Me to. I'm still not entirely convinced, but I'm getting into it. Who has it for 360? Multiplayer might be fun, haven't tried it yet.
    Sorry, didn't see this earlier. I'm on 360.

Had a good few races tonight with friends, then we went public and had some mixed races. Most were great fun but there are a few who race dirty, but my improved Impact Rating should mean I'm free of that from now on...hopefully.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    daviedigi wrote:
    Curtis wrote:
    its called discussion.
    tbh I think Curtis is right...
  • Curtis is never right.

:D

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    thb I think Curtis is wrong...
  • I'll stick with this BUT....while the handling is actually quite good, the grip levels are absurd. You can do every race, and I mean every race, with your accelerator jammed open and using the brake occasionally for hairpins. This also has the benefit of giving you a left foot braking effect and getting the back end round and nose tucked in. In short, it's far, far too easy. Using this simple tactic, I'm obliterating people online that are probably driving normally. 

Second issue is the unfairness of some of the AI. Mainly the overtaking modes where you'll lose your multiplier because the car you overtook decides, quite randomly, to sideswipe you for giggles. And the graphics look good, but they've used the old Bizarre Creations trick of rendering at a much lower output and upscaling. I suspect this'll look better on 360 as a result of its better upscaler. On PS3, it's looks like you've put a light layer of Vaseline on your screen. It'll look lovely if they move it to Xbone/PS4, but it's a bit of a cheat on current gen. All told, it's OK. A solid 7/10 or marginal 8/10 if you're feeling generous.

Good points, the longer A to B tracks remind me of 3DO Need For Speed, and that's a good thing, and the freeform city tracks where the junctions change randomly is great online. Mind you, online is a bit laggy right now. They need to look at the servers and optimise better.

And that bloody squirrel distracts me every time and makes me crash! Oh, and the Giulietta comes with the optional 5 circle alloys. Someone at Codies has taste....
  • Chief wrote:
    That's fair enough. Personally I love Grid 2 but I'm keeping an eye on Project CARS by Slightly Mad Studios, see if they can refine the issues I had with Shift 2. No idea when it's supposed to be out though. My PC would likely struggle with it so I'm waiting on the console version.

Did you ever try Test Drive Ferrari Legends? It's their post Shift game that no-one bought but actually did sort out all of Shift's issues, especially the steering. Project CARS should be worth the wait.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Chief wrote:
    Me to. I'm still not entirely convinced, but I'm getting into it. Who has it for 360? Multiplayer might be fun, haven't tried it yet.
    Sorry, didn't see this earlier. I'm on 360. Had a good few races tonight with friends, then we went public and had some mixed races. Most were great fun but there are a few who race dirty, but my improved Impact Rating should mean I'm free of that from now on...hopefully.

How does the impact rating work? What's its purpose?
  • Louiecat
    Show networks
    Xbox
    louiecat
    Steam
    louiecat

Send message
    I like it, it's fun but it's not blowing me away
    On Ultra settings the visuals are really polished and nice. The whole package seems tight and professional and not too fussy a la Dirt 2's front end.

Tried using my old original 360 driving wheel with it but it's a crap experience as the arcadey handling has none of the subtleties of force feedback like the superb Forza Horizon and the basic vibration feedback is more suited to a joypad, the wheel feeling loose and disconnected.

Once the joysticks are employed, the fine control gives easy access to drifts around corners with the early muscle cars. The races are fun and varied, but the car range is a little stingy from the outset.

It feels like a game that seems uneasy with its mix of arcadey handling and sim looks......Horizon gets it perfect IMO - a really accessible arcade racer that has sim gravitas to the handling without being Gran Turismo. In Grid 2, I keep feeling for a boost button, which isnt there when it really seems it should be.....this is the only thing I don't like - it doesn't know what it wants to be.
    rest less
  • Chief wrote:
    Sorry, didn't see this earlier. I'm on 360. Had a good few races tonight with friends, then we went public and had some mixed races. Most were great fun but there are a few who race dirty, but my improved Impact Rating should mean I'm free of that from now on...hopefully.
    How does the impact rating work? What's its purpose?
    The Impact Rating judges how you drive and matches you with like-minded racers online. So if you're a clean racer, you'll start to be matched with similarly clean players and vice versa. It's a nice idea for racing randoms via the playlists, assuming it works - I haven't given it a proper look yet.

@Ali I was going to try out TD Ferrari but reviews put me off. The apparently awful career mode, coupled with the slow unlocking of cars/tracks to use even in exhibition races, just made me steer clear (pun unintended).
    Maybe when it drops to a dirt cheap price via PSN/Steam.
  • I have only played the MP of this so far, but really enjoying it! I particularly like the online racers that act a bit like qualifying.  People are still a bit crashey at the moment, but then its a new game I guess so you'll always get some dribbling cock face in your lobby ;)
    XBOX: Kurt Russel
    PS3: Air_Hair_Lair
  • Indeed. There's very few races where the brakes need to be used.. at least in the first 3 seasons.. the cars all feel the same.. The street racing is very PGR but with out the nuance of Bizarre's handling model
    The Forum Herald™
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Does this need an online pass? Thinking about adding it to my Lovefilm queue and sending the god-awful Black Ops II back.
  • Yup. Sure does.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Bugger it.
  • Apparently Codies didn't get the memo!
    The Forum Herald™
  • There is a 48 hour online trial though... so you'd get a little bit of happy fun play time.
    XBOX: Kurt Russel
    PS3: Air_Hair_Lair
  • I'm tempted as this is £29.99 at 2game.com for 360/Ps3 ( never heard of them before but ordered 3 things from them and they came quickly ) but the pile of shame is rather large and with Last of Us next week - I'll certainly have no time to play it
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • The more I play this the more I'm really starting to hate it.

The AI is way to aggressive and plain stupid. The Rewind function is broken. If you use nose cam you can't change the view so you've got no way of know if it's safe to jump back in as an AI car can be just about to carve you up. Oh and some times it goes all stuttery when you start again.

It's possible to drive under an AI car. In the over take challenges the slow AI trucks can sometimes cause pile ups BY THEM SELVES and it does the classic Codemasters track racing game of having no consistancy. Sometimes touch a barrier fine.. sometimes touch a barrier 90 degree spin causing huge pile up.

The rubber banding is ridiculous. The events where it randomises the track are brutal because the AI know where their going and go flat out through the fast corners whilst at the same time slowing down far too early for the slow ones..

I could go on but you get the idea.. I don't think this has had anywhere near enough play testing or balancing.
    The Forum Herald™
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    I'm working on the first overtake-the-rednecks race and it's pissing me off in spectacular fashion.

Got GunPoint now; this can do one for now.
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • metagonzo wrote:
    I'm working on the first overtake-the-rednecks race and it's pissing me off in spectacular fashion. Got GunPoint now; this can do one for now.

Got the cheevo for maximising my combo.. the trick is to go slow.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Can I add the wall physics are awful and the difficulty is all over the place to my list of complaints.. trading on friday! Thankyou please.
    The Forum Herald™

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!