PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    You can be gainfully employed and never have to wear a suit. Tbh, I've never liked them either, mostly for the types of jobs they represent. But I still make plenty of money.

I wear a shirt an trousers but never a suit unless I'm teaching the Pope or something

• Yeah but you don't have a proper job.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Ah, got me there.

Someday when I get offered I teach the pope I'll come back and show you Nexx
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Can't teach the pope nuthin. Man's infollable.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Can teach him how to do a Mario 64 speed run
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    Also Farleys rusks - deja vu in a box.

You know there's a trillion calories and an EU sugar mountain in each disc, right.

What isn't like that? I often feel sorry for the tobacco industry which seems to be hounded by everyone while the food industry who seem hell bent of shoving as much sugar and salt down our throats as they can from as early in our life as they can act seemingly unfettered.

Anyhow - haven't been near them in years - kids on the cusp of teenage years now - but the memory of trying one back then when they were very wrong is striking....

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Wait... You feel sorry for the tobacco industry?
  • Mouldywarp wrote:
    Ok, the suit is purely symbolic, although I genuinely hate wearing them. And shirts. And don't even get me started on ties, the way they suffocate you like a chain around your neck. When I see people commuting to work that's what I see, slaves tethered to each other by the neck, briefcase in hand, off to another day of repeatedly bashing themselves in the face for no comprehensible reason.

You realise that's pretty much all total, utter nonsense, right?
  • regmcfly wrote:

They came out of The Insider looking pretty bad.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Nasty, horrible Michael Mann
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:

In some ways - yes. I feel sorry for the tobacco industry because while they have been quite rightly hounded out into the cold by various laws - other producers of stuff that is incredibly bad for us - and I'm thinking about the food industry here in the main - seem to get away with selling their crap and sticking their bloody logos everywhere - case in point the Olympics.

The sheer hypocrisy of a government that enjoys the revenue of tobacco taking the moral high ground while at the same time being up the asses of the other multi-nationals that would happily destroy our economy and environment is staggering.

Don't get me wrong - the tobacco industry's shameful behaviour such as targetting the youth in the developing world is nauseating - but so are the practices of companies offering sugar and salt to us - man and boy - packaged in so many ways as to make the head spin.

I also feel sorry for smokers - who are now shoved out to the designated smoking areas in the workplace.

I have never smoked - and hated the selfishness that smokers often displayed - which to be fair is the sign of the addict. I love the fact that I can go to a pub or restaurant and not stink when I leave. The smoking areas in pubs seem to be the place to be actually which is an odd development - but it doesn't stop me from feeling sorry for a group of addicts who are segregated.

• Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Feeling sorry for the addict is one thing, feeling sorry for the supplier of another.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    You can be gainfully employed and never have to wear a suit. Tbh, I've never liked them either, mostly for the types of jobs they represent. But I still make plenty of money.

A suit has a number of things in its favour...

You tend not to be a walking advert.
    It can hide a multitude of sins for those of use with a thickening waist
    The aforementioned ease of getting out the door in the morning.

All in all - it isn't a bad deal.

• Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I associate them with consultants and salespeople - two jobs I can't stand.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Feeling sorry for the addict is one thing, feeling sorry for the supplier of another.

Feeling sorry is probably putting it a bit strong - but its hardly a level playing field when one industry is targetted while others operate with impunity - so in that context I do feel sorry for them. There are plenty of lung cancer cases and heart attack/stroke victims too.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    I associate them with consultants and salespeople - two jobs I can't stand.

You have something there - especially with sales guys - but you can get good besuited consultants.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I feel sorry for the consultants I see here, obliged to wear a dark suit even in the height of summer. A lot of bigger companies don't even allow the employees to lose the jacket when they're out and about.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Yeah the drones sent in my the big consultancies can be like that - but I've came across senior consultants from the like of Gartner who don't exactly dress as you would expect...

Maybe as gamers end up on boards then dress sense will change too? Is that a neat link back to the topic?
  • This man wears a suit most of the time
    Diplo-Suit.jpg

I would have his day job in a second though.
    diplo-suit_628-620x428.jpg
  • I quite like wearing a suit. I had to wear one at 6th form mind so I've been used to it since I was 16. My 'proper job' after uni was jeans and t-shirt, but I've moved on a bit and need a suit when going to meetings. It's nice.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I miss that feeling of coming home and changing out of a suit/uniform and into casuals. It marked the end of the work day and stopped me thinking about work at home.
  • Yeah that is a nice feeling. Getting up at the weekend and not putting one on is good too.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I do like the shirt / tie strip when I get home. It sort of signifies the working day is over.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I've decided if I hit my sixties I'm going to do what my Granddad did and wear a suit every single day regardless of occasion.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I always thought once I hit 50 I'll dress in the country gent attire a la Vic Reeves.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    Yeah that is a nice feeling. Getting up at the weekend and not putting one on is good too.

I usually skip shaving on a Saturday morning too. Bliss.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    I've decided if I hit my sixties I'm going to do what my Granddad did and wear a suit every single day regardless of occasion.

Hats were a good thing - they should make a comeback.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    My hat has seen better days.
    20120808131635.jpg
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Shabby chic.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!