Here's yer X Factor thread.
  • Inspired by, not about... I think. Although she's from Lincolnshire so who knows.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I thought I heard her say it was about him and she sang it at his funeral?

I should really pay more/less attention to the X Factor.
  • When it came on at the weekend I said to the wife that it's funny how they go on about the unbelievably high standard but in reality all of the winners (maybe with one exception) are complete non-entities

I then challenged myself to name all the winners in order and to my shame I managed it. The wife was quite impressed though
  • The winners don't really go on to achieve anything though do they? It's generally the also rans that go onto bigger things.
    Aside from Leona Lewis, who still isn't exactly a megastar despite Cowell constantly insisting she is, none of the winners have done anything.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    That's normally down to the idiotic general public picking the wrong act as winner. Only in a handful of cases have they picked the right one.
  • https://www.facebook.com/paul.n.ellard?ref=ts
    Here is the guy from my neck of the woods that insults Tulisa. For anyone that cares. 

He thinks any publicity is good publicity.. He deserves to win, but didn't get through. 

He isn't on my friend's list btw.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Sasukekun wrote:
    The winners don't really go on to achieve anything though do they? It's generally the also rans that go onto bigger things. Aside from Leona Lewis, who still isn't exactly a megastar despite Cowell constantly insisting she is, none of the winners have done anything.
    What about... erm... yeah, you're right.
  • Will Young did O.K. Was he on  X Factor or was it one of the other shows that are the same thing?

The problem to me seems to be they build up massive amounts of hype over this person, get an xmas number 1 then you don't hear from them for 10 months, by that point the fickle x-factor single buyer has moved on.
  • It's the system they are a part of. They release a song at Christmas, then nothing until the new series of X Factor starts. They need to come out and release another song and keep the PR train going rather than disappearing for 9 months.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • he was pop idol. but agreed he did well.

The most sucessful has been leona/1D and alexandra burke.. I presume because those three "cracked" america.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • i thought this place was above the x-factor... :(
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • No. This thread should include all shit reality TV that we are forced to watch or secretly watch and love.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • mk64 wrote:
    he was pop idol. but agreed he did well.

The most sucessful has been leona/1D and alexandra burke.. I presume because those three "cracked" america.

JLS have done well commercially also

• true
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I hope this series tanks. Give proper musicians a chance.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Proper musicians have as good a chance now as they ever had. If they're good they'll be successful, if they're shite they won't. That was true before the X Factor, it's true during its stint on tv, and it will be true long after Simon Cowell is in his grave.
  • I'd like to see the format tweaked slightly and used to find new comedians.
    I know there was a Jason Manford fronted show that tried it, but it was based around 'challenges' and other such gumpf, the whole idea didn't flow well. I tried watching it once, it was awful.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I didn't think JLS won?
  • Olimite wrote:
    That's normally down to the acts all being utter, forgettable, beige-wallpaper in a blood a flesh meat-puppet sock pish.

I'm pretty sure that's what you meant.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Moto70 wrote:
    I didn't think JLS won?

No they didn't, neither did One Direction. First band to win were Little Mix
  • And that, gentlemen, is how music died
  • The guys that come second appear to do better than those that one it. 

Rebecca Ferguson's album is rather very good and listenable.
  • Surely Girls Aloud are the most successful entity to have emerged from any of these shows.

Anyway, haven't watched any of the X Factor this year and don't intend to, not even the initial spazditions.

Carry on.

And what Gremill said.
  • Or

6eca5ff6-2a70-4632-aea7-b3ccc8d07509.jpg
  • Proper musicians have as good a chance now as they ever had. If they're good they'll be successful, if they're shite they won't. That was true before the X Factor, it's true during its stint on tv, and it will be true long after Simon Cowell is in his grave.

I'll have to disagree with you if you don't think shows like this are bad for the music industry. Take away huge slices of force-fed popular music and there's a lot more room for everyone else to maneuver.
  • depends how you measure sucess, pussy cat dolls are probably the richest albeit from this type of competition, or kelly clarkson.
  • I imagine that the winners of the American shows would easily go on to make a lot more money than the U.K shows, just because of sheer population. Would be harder to get to being the winner though for the same reasons.
  • I have no facts to back up my sentiment, I really do hate everything these shows stand for though.
  • Nick wrote:
    Proper musicians have as good a chance now as they ever had. If they're good they'll be successful, if they're shite they won't. That was true before the X Factor, it's true during its stint on tv, and it will be true long after Simon Cowell is in his grave.
    I'll have to disagree with you if you don't think shows like this are bad for the music industry. Take away huge slices of force-fed popular music and there's a lot more room for everyone else to maneuver.

They'll always be "popular" music by definition. They'll also always be people that don't like popular music just because it is popular.

And I don't get the "force-fed" argument either. You're not forced to watch X-Factor or listen to radio one. In this age more than any you have so much choice given the multitide of avenues through which you can access content.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!