Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • https://www.epsxe.com/

epsxe is a good ps1 emulator iirc. Castlevania sotn is an excellent title, played it way back on og PS1. Up there with Super Metroid.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • What do you use for emulation? PC? PSP? retropie? Mini consoles?

Laptop, but also have a snes mini if that'd do it (black magic?)
  • hunk wrote:
    https://www.epsxe.com/ epsxe is a good ps1 emulator iirc. Castlevania sotn is an excellent title, played it way back on of PS1. Up there with Super Metroid.

I'll check that out if there's no console option, ta.
  • nick_md wrote:
    hunk wrote:
    https://www.epsxe.com/ epsxe is a good ps1 emulator iirc. Castlevania sotn is an excellent title, played it way back on of PS1. Up there with Super Metroid.

I'll check that out if there's no console option, ta.

It's fairly easy to set up and hw requirements are very low. You'll still need the sotn iso though. Just Google and torrent it or pm DS as he's the local emulation fanatic around here.

• Maybe £15 is worth it to avoid sliding into DS...
  • If anyone does have the ISO let me know pls as I'd rather play it on PSP than a home console really.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    If anyone does have the ISO let me know pls as I'd rather play it on PSP than a home console really.

I'll sort you out mate. We need to meet up at some point for Mario Tennis/PS Classic swaps.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Nice. I'm off Thurs, Polish lagers in the park on Weds?
  • Polish Lagers In The Park would be a great album name for a warts-n-all rock band.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Hated SOTN. Have stated this before several times. It's just me and my anti free-roaming thing.

It's beautifully crafted and I really wanted to like it but I was done with that type of thing once I finished Super Metroid.  It was butchered in PAL too which didn't help.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I'm not a fan of metroidvania stuff either so this will be interesting; I'm keen to give it a shot to see if I like it.
  • I've been lucky enough to ease up on my hatred for Metroidvania types in recent years. Probably to the extent where it's my favourite genre after straight platformers now. It started with Dust: An Elysian Tale (Tail?), which isn't regarded as top tier but was a good entry level effort. I've played a fair few now and the best in show (Hollow Knight and the first Ori for me) are exceptional.

Roguelikes are the enemy now.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's a great genre. I loved Super Metroid. And I loved Zelda LttP which is isn't that far away from it. New abilities opening up a map etc.

However I had had enough of it. And I had loved Castlevania IV so much it was a real punch to the gut when I realised what they had done.

I realise I'm missing out on some splendid games but I just couldn't be bothered with backtracking.
  • I still think you had to be there for Super Metroid though, majestic as it undoubtedly was. I prefer Fusion as Samus controls a little quicker.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I still think you had to be there for Super Metroid though, majestic as it undoubtedly was. I prefer Fusion as Samus controls a little quicker.

Probably. No desire to go back to it. I had the big box version with the player guide.  That and SOTN (with soundtrack and artbook) both went as part of the clearout - 2 titles I really should have sold separately - but - Fuck it.
  • davyK wrote:
    It's a great genre. I loved Super Metroid. And I loved Zelda LttP which is isn't that far away from it. New abilities opening up a map etc. However I had had enough of it. And I had loved Castlevania IV so much it was a real punch to the gut when I realised what they had done. I realise I'm missing out on some splendid games but I just couldn't be bothered with backtracking.

It's a game structure thing. Previous Castlevania games were Arcade style outings with linear progress and discrete bookended levels. Super Metroid and SotN are more styled to newer console type of play (zelda) where exploration is central and power ups and leveling are essential to progress in the game. I prefer the latter but I can imagine people liking the arcade model for pick up and play appeal.
  • Thread title changed.  It's just me still going with Cybernator I think?  

Let's do this, I've been thinking about giving it a good go for about 23 years.
  • Surprised to hear that the Saturn port was weak.

• Hello. I've played this too many times already, but I'd probably still grab it and join in if it was on sale right now.

I predict that no one who hasn't played it before will appreciate its brilliance.
    howlongtobeat.com clock it in at an average of 8 hours, that might be a couple of hours longer t j an most of the games we've played in here but it's not massive, and should be doable.
    Maybe, but there's finishing it and then there's finishing it, and it's really all about the latter.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Saturn version was ported over from the PS1 which is why it has issues.

SOTN is actually shoehorned into the PS1's 3D libraries - 2D assets in a 3D environment with the camera set to make it look 2D....so porting that was never going to have a good result.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hunk wrote:
    It's a great genre. I loved Super Metroid. And I loved Zelda LttP which is isn't that far away from it. New abilities opening up a map etc. However I had had enough of it. And I had loved Castlevania IV so much it was a real punch to the gut when I realised what they had done. I realise I'm missing out on some splendid games but I just couldn't be bothered with backtracking.
    It's a game structure thing. Previous Castlevania games were Arcade style outings with linear progress and discrete bookended levels. Super Metroid and SotN are more styled to newer console type of play (zelda) where exploration is central and power ups and leveling are essential to progress in the game. I prefer the latter but I can imagine people liking the arcade model for pick up and play appeal.

Aye. I've never really moved on from wanting an arcade experience at home. It has always been enough for me. The few times I went down the rabbit hole (Super Metroid, LttP, Doom 2) I enjoyed it but then I had had enough. 

I have since abandoned everything I have tried...Ocarina, WW, TP - abandoned earlier as the series progressed. Didn't get past the first arcade in Shenmue. Dropped Metroid prime after an hour. GTA3 - lasted maybe 2 hours. Just can't be bothered roaming around and I like it less in 3D.  Don't think I got past level 2 on Timesplitters 2. Only exception was Doom64 but that's really quite a linear game that happens to be 3D.

I liked Mario Galaxy and got all the shines and even made a dent as Luigi - but can't be arsed with Galaxy 2. I had had enough again. But those games aren't really roamarounds - they are sequences of tight levels which suits me.  I liked Outtrigger with its tight arenas and arcade sensibilities.
  • If you get an itch for new Doom that's old Doom, Davy, you may like Sigil, the new episode for Doom 1 that John Romero released for free last year.

https://www.romerogames.ie/si6il

You need Doom 1 to play it, but you can get all classic Doom (1, 2, expansions) for like £8 I think.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Thread title changed.  It's just me still going with Cybernator I think?  

davyK was playing to.

How far you got? It's probably the best game we've played in here for a few years I reckon.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Love this tune, proper 90s anime feel to it, reminds me of being a kid again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqogIDA4g4s
  • Oooh SotN. One of the all-time greatest games!

Although is it not the game that gave rise to the stupid metroidvania term?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • 2 hours into SotN.

It's obviously great but like davy I'm disappointed the direction the series went in.

By far my favourite Castlevania over the last 20 years has been The Adventure Rebirth, which was a loose remake of one of the older linear style Vania's.

It's not that I don't like Metroidvania's, (I fucking hate this term but there's nothing better to explain it unfortunately) but it's a genre I enjoy once a gen really, and Metroid has always scratched that itch.

Fuck knows when Prime 4 will come out, so the time seems right to play a Castleroid.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Although is it not the game that gave rise to the stupid metroidvania term?

So fucking bad isn't it.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • nick_md wrote:
    Love this tune, proper 90s anime feel to it, reminds me of being a kid again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqogIDA4g4s

Banger!
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Got to level 4 just using the continues. I'm going to keep playing it. It really is still very good and I never finished it.

Rebirth was great - just a pity it was limited by Nintendo's download limits.  I'm not actually sure if I beat the final boss....can't remember.  There's one or two alternative paths which I like - just enough for variety but not have it free roaming - one bypasses one of the trickier bosses - you need to get all the keys though.
  • davyK wrote:
    Got to level 4 just using the continues. I'm going to keep playing it. It really is still very good and I never finished it.

Is that the cave level? That's where I ran out.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!