• Level 4's the free-fall level maybe?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Can't remember now - might have been the level after the one where you land on the planet and it's a left-to-right thing?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I stopped playing at a snow/ice level. Will take another look but I should start it again really.
  • It's like a 1hr playthrough so I'd start again and make sure you're getting tooled up (if you aren't atm).
  • I'd saved it with low health anyway.
  • Cybernator.

I'm not going to finish it, it deserves more than a muddle through and I'm not particularly good at it. I watched a speedrun and played through roughly half with save states. It's good, very good for the time, but I'm just not hugely into it. I reminds me of Ranger X, which it clearly inspired, which was another seemingly glorious 16-bit shooter than just never quite felt right to me. The player sprites in both are a bit too big and just a touch sluggish for my tastes. It's methodical rather than twitch, so maybe that's my hang up. It's an approach I like these days, but modern 2D games often have more refined controls. I'm going to say something absolutely ridiculous but it's true and I need to get it off my chest....I think I preferred Robo Army on Switch, which is an absolute boot licker of an homage.

Good game, very low odds on whether I'd like it more if I'd played it at the time, but just not quite there. No score from me this month but mid 80s seems right, with adjustment for me clearly being in the minority and presumably the the wrong too.
  • That is a steal.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    @Moot_Geeza makes a good point about Cybernator being more methodical than twitch. That's probably why I didn't complete it back then. But I have hankering to now. My main problem is I want to get a 1CC of my current shmup out of the way before I dally too much with anything else that might screw up my muscle memory.
  • I really like the chunkiness of Cybernator, everything feels weighty and solid. It's definitely a more methodical shooter, lots of stopping to shield/defend etc, but it has its balls-out moments too (escapes, scrolling sections etc).
  • nick_md wrote:

Can't open the link at work, is it cross-play with Vita?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    I really like the chunkiness of Cybernator, everything feels weighty and solid. It's definitely a more methodical shooter, lots of stopping to shield/defend etc, but it has its balls-out moments too (escapes, scrolling sections etc).

Yeah - the weight and control of the mech is the best thing about it.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
    Can't open the link at work, is it cross-play with Vita?

Page says 'playable on: PS4' so I'm guessing not?
  • Few hours into SotN now.

A couple of obsevations:

- This might bite me on the arse later but... it's a bit easy isn't it? I guess you could say I'm a Castlevania veteran of the linear games, but compared to those this is a breeze. I'm 3 hours in at 62.8%* and have yet to die.
    - There seems to be a lot of pointless unsellable weapons. I've picked loads up with lower stats than what I already have.

Spoiler:
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    akmlEni.jpg

Your PSP has CFW right?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Few hours into CotN now. A couple of obsevations: - This might bite me on the arse later but... it's a bit easy isn't it? I guess you could say I'm a Castlevania veteran of the linear games, but compared to those this is a breeze. I'm 3 hours in at 62.8%* and have yet to die. - There seems to be a lot of pointless unsellable weapons. I've picked loads up with lower stats than what I already have. *
    Spoiler:
    It is mostly easy, yes. And there's tons of stuff you'll never need to use.

This is why I love it though. It's a relaxing stroll through some great locations accompanied by that soundtrack, and if you want to start messing around with different weapons, there are actually some nice suprises. But if you don't, not a problem.

This is also why I don't think anyone will like it that much playing it first time today. The Metroidvania formula is too well established now, with too many expectations about how it should work and how tightly designed it should be. SoTN is so laidback in comparison, which makes it messy and uneven, but it's also still unique for the same reasons.

Anyway, £4. I suppose I ought to for that.
  • Cheers for the reply, makes sense.

It unsurprisingly oozes the Castlevania atmosphere which is enough to put it above any modern Metroidvania's alone for me.

I'll probably check out one of the DS games at some point off the back of this. Konami don't seem interested in reviving the series so I may as well swallow my pride and check out the back catalogue of the Metroidvania style.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    akmlEni.jpg

Your PSP has CFW right?

Think so, you did it :)

It's got MD/SNES stuff on there for sure.

• Would defo play on PSP but was just thinking Vita for the suspend mode and longer battery life. No big deal though.
  • The save locations are really plentiful in the game tbh. I doubt you'll go 10 minutes without the ability to save.

Download an iso of Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles and put it on your memory stick. You have to unlock SotN but it should only take 20mins or so to do that. It has Rondo of Blood remake/original on there too, it's a great package.

If you can't be bothered to unlock it you could just download the PS1 version which will work on the PSP to :-)
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    IV, Chronicles, Rondo, Rebirth.

That's what Castlevania is all about to me.
  • davyK wrote:
    IV, Chronicles, Rondo, Rebirth.

That's what Castlevania is all about to me.

I'm with you mate, I do much prefer the linear games and if I had my way they'd never have deviated from it.

My top 5 would be:
    Rondo
    IV
    III
    Bloodlines
    Chronicles

After that Dracula X on SNES is unfairly compared to IV and Rondo, but is actually a really good classic Castlevania in its own right and well worth a play.

The original NES game is still great but has been superseded by Chronicles.

Belmont's Revenge was really good for a Game Boy game, and is the only decent entry on it but... it's a Game Boy game so is very limited.

If you haven't played any of those I would definitely play one and let us know what you think whilst we're playing SotN.

I can't see you not enjoying III, Dracula X or Bloodlines if you've not played any of them before.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Had a chance to pick up Bloodlines in a car boot for buttons.. Didn't realise it was a find but I still have no idea why I didn't just pick it up.

Will see if I can get that going.
  • That's one of the few I've played. Was surprised by the quality as I'd always mistakenly thought some of the Konami MD releases during that brief flurry were a bit half baked. In reality they were mostly top tier efforts slightly curtailed by 8 meg carts.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    That's one of the few I've played. Was surprised by the quality as I'd always mistakenly thought some of the Konami MD releases during that brief flurry were a bit half baked. In reality they were mostly top tier efforts slightly curtailed by 8 meg carts.

That's probably why I didn't pick it up. Konami and MD weren't a great combo especially compared to their SNES output.
  • The Castlevania Collection is also £4 right now on PSN. Contains many of the linear ones.
  • Hopefully it'll be half price on Switch again soon then.

I'd recommend Rocket Knight Adventures Davy. It's peak Konami imo.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Think that one got a more limited release. Don't remember seeing it on shelves as much as the others.

Will give it a go.
  • Started this on Xbox 360/Xbox One in the end. Only just realised there's an inventory screen if you press the select button. Quite liking it but I haven't had to backtrack yet. Graphics are excellent and Alucard's glide back/turning animation is lusho. Liking the dodge too.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!