Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • Yeah, him. It took me ages cos I was doing little damage. Maybe I had the wrong setup.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    It’s not. It’s a piss easy game with just one (hidden) not-piss-easy boss.
    Spoiler:
  • It's an odd game in some ways. I'm only taking a single point of damage in most of the new areas I find now. Sure I paid top dolla for a diamond plate of some description, but I'm feeling a bit OP for a Caylevania game.
  • Just found a winged boss that was probably the easiest so far. This wasn't what I was expecting going in at all, surely the difficulty level is a bugbear for many CV fans?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:
     I remember feeling in sotn that i would end up overpowered and i dont like having too many abilities. 
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Spot on as far as I can tell. I'm not a dab hand at CV games but this one's a doddle.
  • It’s my only criticisms of the game. Circle of the Moon on the GBA is more challenging and has a great magic/card system thing. I loved that one. Downhill from there.
  • Credits rolled. Soft ending of sorts, clearly there plenty more to do if you so wish...just not sure where to find it as of yet, I've been kicked back to the title screen with my pre-boss save intact.

It's great, just baffling in its choice of difficulty downgrade for a series steeped in joyous frustration. Doubt I'll play much more but I will consult Youtube to see what I'm missing. One of the best PS1 games for sure but it hasn't won me over in terms of Metroid(castle)vania vs Castlevania Castlevania.
  • Just had another 20mins,am yet to encounter an enemy that takes more than one swipe, I think.

Enjoying it though, but I'm very much running around without knowing where I'm going.
  • @Moot, what % map you uncovered?
  • Not sure, is the % on the save file the map then? Was well below 100 last time I paid any attention to it, 75% maybe?
  • Spoiler:
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Those games are out there as alternatives if you're looking for a challenge sure, but that doesn't really address the issue surely?   Circle of the Moon is an option too according to Elf, which sounds like a more traditional CV challenge wrapped up in the SotN forumla.
  • CotM and the other gba entries are excellent titles but hardly much more difficult than Sotn imo.
    They experiment with secondory abilities and systems a bit, different protagonists and narratives but they never stray too far away from the og SotN template. Well worth checking out tho if you enjoyed SotN.

Dark Souls and Hollow Knight are totally different takes on metroidvania. DS especially set a new standard with HK (and a lot of others) taking new inspiration from it.
  • Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - played on Xbox One (3.5hrs)

Games lauded as classics from bygone eras aren't often as impressive on a first time play as they were then, especially from the 32-bit era imo, but this has so much going for it I enjoyed my playthrough immensely despite being 20+ years late to the party.  The core hack & slash CV gameplay is absolutely on point, so there's a rock solid foundation to the gradual exploration, and everything unfolds at a fair clip without any real scope for getting agonisingly stuck (hello Super Metroid).  It gives plenty of modern Metroidvania types a run for their money.  In fact, if you take Hollow Knight and Ori in the Blind Forest out of the equation - just because they're my favourites - SotN would probably squeeze into an all-time 2D Metroidvania top 5 even as a modern title, despite the few issues I had with it.  Those issues are as follows: far too easy (to the point of imbalance really), transformations under-used and a bit of an afterthought in terms of control, a fiddly inventory (by modern standards) and a very basic map that doesn't list area names.  Genuinely though, if this was a £12.99 EShop game that arrived as an indie Rebirth thing it'd still get deserved props.  Graphics are pretty much the best 2D I've seen on Playstation and I even liked the use of 3D geometry in amongst the sprites, which is often a turn off for me.  Some lovely parallax scrolling going on, mostly stunning areas and just an absolute visual treat overall.  Very impressed, main character animation is superb.  Music seemed varied and mostly strong too.  It's a very good game played cold in 2020 and I've no doubt it was absolutely terrific in 1997, so my retro review would be 93%, but I reckon I'd give it a modern [8] depending on price.
  • hunk wrote:
    CotM and the other gba entries are excellent titles but hardly much more difficult than Sotn imo. They experiment with secondory abilities and systems a bit, different protagonists and narratives but they never stray too far away from the og SotN template. Well worth checking out tho if you enjoyed SotN.

I'm pretty sure I've got a double pack on GBA.  Hopefully not one of the dodgy carts I accidentally bought on Ebay while collecting.  I'll check them out this weekend.
  • GBA ones are just like SotN. I personally found CotM less easy, should I say, than SotN. 

If you have the double pack, it’s gonna be Harmony of Dissonance and Aria of Sorrow. Personally think they get worse so if you can find CotM, my personal recommendation is that one.
  • Ah, didn't realise there were three on GBA.  I may have all of them actually, will have to check the magic shoebox.
  • With CotM you might have to grind a bit before you enter some areas. I remember the Colloseum to be particularly brutal if you enter underleveled. So yeah, probably a bit harder than SotN.
  • There are 3 on the DS too. I used to look forward to them but they overdid it. Dawn of Sorrow was decent, but then I didn’t like Portrait of Ruin that much and not sure I finished it. Don’t think I even played Order of Ecclesia.

I was so glad they changed it up with Lords of Shadow.
  • Ah Lords of Shadow.
    Nice game but it was more God of War than Castlevania.
    Gone was the metroidvania level/world design and power up ability system. Instead we got Gabriel Kratos running and fighting around linear levels. Can't help but feel something was lost along the way.
  • Aye it was really different. No longer felt like Castlevania of old or recent times, but y’know I was just sick of what they were doing with the series. If we can’t get a nice gothic horror type ‘Vania again rather than a Metroid-like, then I’m fine with a GoW-like.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    It's a very good game played cold in 2020 and I've no doubt it was absolutely terrific in 1997, so my retro review would be 93%, but I reckon I'd give it a modern [8] depending on price.
    TBH if I'm trying to be 'objective' or whatever, I think SotN was always an 8/10 game. But it's also one of my favourite games ever, like top 20 at least, because it has such a unique vibe.

The games that followed all do a better job of being Metroidvanias in a way, in that they get the formula and pacing 'right'. But they also feel more routine because of that, so none of them stand out, despite being solid.

I like Bloodstained: RotN more than any of those. It's the closest thing to the original SotN in spirit for me. That is, it's also a bit uneven and messy, and all the better for it.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Aye it was really different. No longer felt like Castlevania of old or recent times, but y’know I was just sick of what they were doing with the series. If we can’t get a nice gothic horror type ‘Vania again rather than a Metroid-like, then I’m fine with a GoW-like.

Just to add that Lament of Innocence was decent in my opinion, I enjoyed it, and it was Castlevania alright - the music, the atmosphere, characters and enemies etc.  Could've been better, of course, but I liked it and would love to replay it if I could.  I still it for my PS2 but I'm not about to raid the loft and set up PS2 on my HDTV with a Scart-HDMI converter.  I have the Jp edition with the lithograph thing, wonder if that's worth anything right now...
  • Just beat this with 190.4%

Can't beat Galamoth. The game is an absolute walkthrough yet that one battle seems impossible. Not sure if I just need to grind XP until I'm ultra strong or if there's some magic combo of weapons that could take hours to decipher?

Also there's a few screens I can't get to in a caverns because I can't get up into the water. Again, not sure if there's something magic that I've not got? I read a scan of the manual but there was no help there.

I'm on level 44, seen 1797 rooms, have 2524 kills and am missing 3 relics. Playtime is 9hr 45mins.

Don't really want to resort to a guide by I honestly can't see where I need to go.

Any subtle hints from anyone who's played it before?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Galamoth I beat by basically spending most of my time between his legs (ooer) and chipping away. It took ages. 

Waterfall/water area? Do you mean you can’t jump high enough, or need to swim up some water or something? If former, there’s an item that can help.
  • Thanks.

Yeah that's exactly it. Is it a relic I need to be able to do that?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I think the way I did it (it’s been ages) is using
    Spoiler:
  • Cool, I do actually have them. Will try it out tomorrow :-D
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Leveling up will definitely help with Galamoth. But you can also equip stuff or use items to make you immune to certain attacks - can't recall exactly what, but his main attacks are thunder and dark based IIRC.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!