General VR and AR chinwag
  • AJ wrote:
    Can't remember exactly, but a handful. While I don't think I've seen anything that being able to look around has added anything to, the videos themselves are fine; it's just the lack depth which disappoints. Proper VR videos fare better, but it always feels odd that lateral head movement doesn't do anything. Allumette is still the best piece of linear media I've seen on the platform

Depends what it is. WWE did a few interview ones, which seemed pointless. I thought you'd be stood between them or something, but it's 2 people sat on a couch and you can look around an empty room. Anything with some kind of action was good, so the ringside ones, or the ones where the camera was on a cart that came down the ramp and then around the ring.

The driving ones were cool, and there are a few rollercoaster ones I found on Youtube that I liked.
  • AJ wrote:
    It's 1p under £10. What other bits are there than the plank bit and the flying thing?

Well they keep adding stuff and then, weirdly, taking it away. There's a Christmas Santa thing, a fighter jet thing and other stuff I can't remember. They've hired some developers to flesh it out with more updates but it's kind of chaotic. Some good ideas literally get yanked in an update, only to be brought back and then removed again. Maybe wait until it's under £5, because it's the weirdest developing roadmap I've yet experienced with a game.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Oh Nightmare mode! I'd forgotten about that. The missus shat herself. SPOILERS.

• Yeah, that looks expensive coffee price at best.

I played something way, way back when the DK2 was brand new that looked similar. Wonder if it was the same thing.
  • Is this the skyscraper one? Played that ona rift and was blown away. Can't imagine it veing as good in PSVR though as you can't move about as much...?
  • Yeah that's the one.
  • Knuckles controllers have gone from prototype to dev kit version so they're more or less finalised in design.

Here's an annoying yoof to demo them.

Jump to 2:50.

And another with knuckles mapped to an already released game.

• isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Just as a slight counterpoint... I've had a Rift since launch and if you want something now for not much all in then it makes a compelling argument. 
    You get best in class Touch controllers and a comfy headset with nicely integrated systems and fancy doodads (ASW, ATW) to keep you up to the 90fps. 

Valve are supposedly knocking out headsets but they've still not got around to confirming anything. Stuff has been seen in leaked shots but no price or dates are out there or even particularly rumoured. Knuckles look fine and dandy but don't immediately seem to offer a huge leap above the standard Touch controllers. They look to be a significant leap ahead if you're still with the Vive wands mind but would be an extra cost for the Vive. 

The vast array of excellent content out there runs fine on the standard headsets. You can pay a lot more for some higher rez panels ultimately but the content is still being made with the main kit in mind. (Rift, Vive, PSVR) 

For the money you spend on the current Rift bundles PC Gamer reckon it's a great all in one system.  

Then again Oculus is also joining the gang and apparently due to refresh their headset this coming year possibly. There should be a whole brace of new, expensive kit out.. at some yet to be defined point in the indeterminately near future. PC innit...  

They're also getting the Quest out soon which would offer a full stand alone wireless bit of kit with tracked controllers that would be also able to play your Superhots and yer Beat Sabers and all that jazz. 

I've been happily buggering about in VR since they launched the bastard and it all seems fine so far though I'm sure they all have lovely bottoms really. 

DlEWLbqWsAAhcIQ.jpg
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • Woop! Just finished Rum and Bass on Expert! I think the fact I'm drinking rum has helped!
  • Nice. Can't remember if I've managed that yet. I'd check, but I've got SNES and Spider-Man tonight.

Maybe we should swap PSN IDs for scoreboard shenanigans.
  • We should.

I'm tiger_swiftly I think.
  • I'll have a go at adding you when I'm on next. I'd post mine, but it's my name and that feels weird.
  • Does any PSVR game allow you to play together? As in occupying the same play area with a physical avatar?
  • Actually not avatar. I don't know how to express it. Like as in a representation of your googles and hands in real-time.
  • Actually not avatar. I don't know how to express it. Like as in a representation of your googles and hands in real-time.

There's a free to play thing called rec room that's a big social space where you can all gather in a sports hall and go play loads of diffrent games together.
    I just like to hang out and watch the comedy acts and the x factor stuff.
    It has loads of user generated content!

There also a pub game with pool and darts etc that's a smaller (paid for) version.

• There’s the bomb game (keep talking) where the VR man sees a thing and everyone talks to them with instructions.
  • There also werewolf and Star Trek which might be actually what you’re talking about.
  • Oh good. It's a powerful thing, knowing a human is making those exact moves. There's some mental experiences on PC that really play with it. Being on a submarine with n0face is quite a thing.

Excellent.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    I think I'll be picking up Thumper for £5.79 in the PS sale whilst I have loan of my friend's PSVR...
  • Had a bash on Skyrim VR last night on my mate's Rift. It's very impressive but I don't think I'd have the stamina to actually play the entire game like that.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Ach you'd be surprised how quickly you adapt. I've spent a fair ol' chunk a time in there. It's still trusty Skyrim with added immersive archery and magics, the melee is a bit weightless in VR but fun enough.

On PC you can still mod the balls off it too which can make it look even superer.. obviously..
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Aaaand in most worthy double postastic news it turns out the Polybius has just about made it out for pc in 2018. Bingo! That's a double dipper right there. 

Only has Rift support for now apparently but may work with ReVive? as it seems that Minter only had a Rift for dev. Only £14 too. Wahey!

Edit: And there's a Gridrunner refresh out too with VR shenanigans going on. Going to be a very trippy Mintermas round these a parts. Noice!
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    B brought the Oculus home from work, meaning I can play it a bit.

I've got Thumper, I should probably try Lone Echo or Lone Arena, anything else that I should look at?
  • All of it.
  • Polybius, as isanbard suggested.

Elite Dangerous if you have it, just so you can drive around on a planet. It's almost unbelievable if you can go heavy on the supersampling and put the settings on high.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I'll have a look at Polybius if Thumper will be doable. It's not on sale though which is always suspicious.

B's setting it up now, not sure how high we can push settings on the laptop so we'll see.

He went to a Terminator thing that was set up in the mall a while ago. Was a work thing but it was pretty nice apparently. 4 players in the same area, all recognizable with a face scan. Controllers were all plastic guns. At some point one person dropped them, so another took off with it and had 2 guns. Sounded actually pretty cool.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Lone Echo is a very nicely realised solo advneture story that works better with a beefier pc. I should re-do it now that I pimped up mine. The Echo Arena multiplayer bit has recently had a big update too with added shooting to go with the disc throwing original stuff. Very cleanly done and a generally very nice community that I've found. The whole physical mobility stuff seems to leave even slightly motion sick folks far less affected. 

Beat Saber is great fun, especially on PC where you can easily get an add-on (Beat Saver thing - Beat Saber Mod Manager makes it all very simple)  that allows you to add extra tunes very easily. 

The trusty classics of Gorn, RecRoom, Toybox and Space Pirate Trainer still work very well. The Climb gives you some fun big drop thrill stuff. 

Robo Recall is very well polished Oculus funded, big budget and fun. 

Google Earth is quite the experience. 

Alumette and some of the other short films (Henry.. hmm.. the rest.. ) are a nice little opener. 

Moss, Ultrawings and Superhot are all excellent. 

The nephews are still big fans of stuff like VR Sports Challenge, Job Simulator, Giant Cop, Merry Snow Balls..

You like yer biking and whatnot if memory serves Nina but not too sure if fixing the things are your cup of tea but the free Wrench demo is very pretty and well realised if you want to build an engine block in front of you from a long table.. 

Spiderman Homecoming demo introduces some of the stuff nicely enough..

VR Chat is a big social thing. I've downloaded it but not fired it up yet as it's only recently got to the Oculus store.  

In Death is a very nice bow based roguey run thing. 

I've been pretty tempted by that Submarine jobbie too? Iron Wolf I think?  SG and NoFace I think are fans.

Edit: It'll be interesting to see how it holds up then on a lappy. Oculus and Valve have made some great strides to quite heavily reduce the demands required and play all sorts of fancy tricks to make it work fine on lower spec machines. You don't need a HAL 9000 to get it running buttery smooth anymore.. I mean it can look very pretty pretty if you do but.. it should run fine on a modernish spec system.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    B worked on Lone Echo / Arena, happy to know you enjoyed them and to hear that it has a good community!

Didn't realize Beat Saber was on pc too, need to have a look.

I'll also have a look at the wrench demo, you remembered right. I was a bicycle technician when still in Amsterdam, and prefer to fix my own bicycle /motorcycle.

Solid list, I'll have to see how much I can take a look at. Will only have the Oculus here between now and New Year, than B needs it at work again.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Aware that was a bit of a wall of text there Nina. Plenty to investigate.. keep us posted on how you get along. B knocked it out the park on the whole Lone Echo/Arena business too! Well done lad.

I'm DAQster on Oculus too so give us a shout if you feel the need in this short little window at any point. Nexx and Voices were there too but I haven't seen them around and about any time recently mores the pity.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Slightly worried that Thumper is going to become somewhat repetitive, and/or give me carpel tunnel syndrome, but I continue to be suitably impressed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!