myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    He didn't get it to work. Something to do with the hdmi port being on the Intel in stead of the motherboard (or the other way around).

I'm now trying to convince him to bring either his whole pc home or buy me one, neither have been received well so far. I could potentially join him at work for a bit on Monday, most people took the day off so I could play some games there.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    If it's a big heavy laptop on the chunky side then it might have it's own discrete graphics card in there and will be pretty much great at running VR.. If it's not then it'll probably be ok if it's in any way recent. 
    Beast Home PC clearly the only guaranteed answer to this... 

I can only imagine getting to play with the kit at work would be a step above mind.. crank up the pretty on that setup.
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • OMG my local CEX have a Sony VR headset in stock.  Called number I found via Google and it just gives a pre recorded message about going online for customer services. Goddammit I hope it’s still there tomorrow morning.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • isanbard wrote:
    Aware that was a bit of a wall of text there Nina. Plenty to investigate.. keep us posted on how you get along. B knocked it out the park on the whole Lone Echo/Arena business too! Well done lad. I'm DAQster on Oculus too so give us a shout if you feel the need in this short little window at any point. Nexx and Voices were there too but I haven't seen them around and about any time recently mores the pity.

I'm still around from time to time. I've been playing Switch and it's difficult to have too much on the go! Feel free to whatever.
  • isanbard wrote:
    Aaaand in most worthy double postastic news it turns out the Polybius has just about made it out for pc in 2018. Bingo! That's a double dipper right there.  Only has Rift support for now apparently but may work with ReVive? as it seems that Minter only had a Rift for dev. Only £14 too. Wahey! Edit: And there's a Gridrunner refresh out too with VR shenanigans going on. Going to be a very trippy Mintermas round these a parts. Noice!

Sweet. This kind of trippy atmospheric stuff is one of the best uses of the current gen of VR tech, though that might just be my tastes.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Ay.. More often than not it's the nephews smashing about in Beat Saber or shooting eejits in Rec Room paintball or somesuch. I'm getting suckered into some Smash Bros about now and using the Switch more than ever before since another nephew got one recently and made me buy Pokeymans Lets Go Eveee.. 

I did  manage to also confirm/remind myself that by Christ a session in Polybius can indeed melt the senses and leave you feeling all whipsy dipsy pretty quickly. Perfect fit for His Minterness and VR.. it's an essential really and not a lotta dolla. Crank the volume and away you go.
    I can also confirm that though it's selling in Steam it uses the Oculus protocols and will launch direct through Home without booting into SteamVR. Always a good deal cleaner for us Rifters.
  • I think I'm being reprogrammed. I definitely can't play Polybius  for more than 30 minutes in one go.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Indeed.. It's one of the best games for that cool effect of having to re-establish you're a human after taking the headset off. 

'Arms, check, legs, check.. eye's returning to normal function.. brain .. recovering.. I'll just have a quick sit down before that restorative cuppa..'

I do love me some Polybius. Hehe
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    I am nearly halfway through Thumper. I went back to try the first level on the 'plus' setting, which was positively relaxing after completing level 4. Slightly dreading the level of difficultly in the second half...
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Just over half way. Level 5 was tricky, but doable.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    You have reminded me that I also double dipped on Thumples in the Christmas sales on Oculus too.. Ill get some brutal chest based Drum assault into my veins in the immediate future too. 

VR adds a good deal to the fun if PSVR memory serves.
  • I love the idea of VR, but the next iteration is always on the horizon, better gfx, higher resolution etc, so I defer perpetually.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Ach.. I'm in for the magic Hollywood sunglasses future too but the stuff out there now just works fine, especially for us of the doddery SNES era. A half decent sized room of the East wing with some of the more exotic furniture tucked slightly out of the way should give you plenty of space to have fun there Griff. 

It'll get better.. probably.. as long as HTC and Facebook survive. Valve are as rich as Croesus as well so perhaps wait and see what they bring out and spec up a HAL9000 for that?

The little people that come round mine love themselves some popping into the headset..  your younglings would have a whale of a time and probably not completely destroy their developing eyesight*

*citation needed...
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    I love the idea of VR, but the next iteration is always on the horizon, better gfx, higher resolution etc, so I defer perpetually.

PSVR then.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    I love the idea of VR, but the next iteration is always on the horizon, better gfx, higher resolution etc, so I defer perpetually.

There's always PSVR. Has great games too.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • We should.

I'm tiger_swiftly I think.

You're not.

Actually not avatar. I don't know how to express it. Like as in a representation of your googles and hands in real-time.

That would still be an avatar.
  • Hmm. Tiger-Swiftly?
  • I'll check tomorrow.
  • New Beat Saber track. Music's a bit crap, though better than the last one, but the patterns are okay.
  • I was a VR skeptic until I played Superhot round my mate’s yard. Now I can’t get enough of it. Just sit at some itching to get home, put the kids to bed and play some Tetris Effect or Thumper or try out something else. 

Been too busy playing and haven’t bought more yet. Will get Astro Bot pronto as well as other stuff.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Managed to complete level 6 of Thumper last night - different to, but no more difficult than, level 5. I have hope...

Whilst this is still the best VR game I've played with quite amazing audio/visual intensity, I'm finding myself fairly disappointed with the actual music when I even notice it. Rez is definitely retaining its crown in this respect for me.
  • I think that's at least partially intentional; the developers are always careful to describe it as a rhythm game rather than a music game.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    I think that's at least partially intentional; the developers are always careful to describe it as a rhythm game rather than a music game.

Good point. Curiously, the game that it most reminds me of in terms of gameplay is Vib Ribbon.
  • Heh. This is too ridiculous not to share: somebody made a Beat Saber level using Shrek - the entire film - and people are actually playing it through. Crazy fuckers.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=beat+saber+shrek
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    I finished Thumper last night, which wasn't as hard as I feared, although the very final sections of level 9 were off-puttingly weird, but is obviously enough to put a lot of people off because my scores were suddenly up in the top few thousands in the latter levels rather than tens of thousands... I see that a campaign mode is now available: I didn't look at it yet, but if this is all 9 levels in one go, then I'm out because I already have to rest my arms after each level and sometimes even switch between 'X' and 'R1' during levels. I will certainly try the plus levels.
  • This is interesting if a little gimmicky, audi and disney team up for in car VR gaming.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/audi-disney-holoride-vr-marvel-avengers-in-car-entertainment/

.... This game, called Marvel's Avengers: Rocket's Rescue Run, is the first demo product from Holoride, a new startup in which Audi will hold a minority stake. It's the result of Audi and Disney's promised new media format, which aims to bring virtual reality to passengers in cars. The VR experience is intended to match, visually, what the passengers feel as they ride: If the car turns, accelerates or brakes, the VR environment will do the same thing. And the "experience" -- whether it's a game or a movie or something else -- will be automatically tailored to the length and movements of your drive route...
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Sounds like a recipe for vomity disaster.
  • Should be the opposite. The reason a lot of people feel sick using VR is because what's going on in the headset isn't matched by the motion their body's experiencing.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The VR experience stuff will lag behind the real world motion your body is experiencing. So when you go round a sharp bend or whatever you'll not be expecting it, then when the car is going straight again your eyes will still be spinning in VR world.

I'd not want to try it out, that's for sure.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!