General VR and AR chinwag
  • The rift s is about to come out you mental. It's the same price too. Anyway, welcome aboard! I'm sure there must be ways to run Steam vr without cause to go through Oculus home?
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I was in the mood lol. Plan is to play this for a year or so then go for whatever Is the best bit of kit then.
  • Have you played The Lab? It's free.
  • Also, you'll want to supersample if your laptop can handle it. It makes things look quite a bit clearer.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Nope

So far I’ve tried

Fishing with Catch & Release
    Superhot (need more room will setup play space properly next week)
    The Robot shooter that comes with it (feels like a great light gun game)
    A fighter jet demo (made me feel sick)
    A Mario rip off with a fox. (Graphics were brilliant very solid slight motion sickness, but getting used to it)

Will take a look at The Lab
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Also, you'll want to supersample if your laptop can handle it. It makes things look quite a bit clearer.

Just had a quick read about this. Are you using the SDK to change settings?

• Steam VR. It's kinda built in now so you can just use a slider bar for individual games.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Cool, will give it a go.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    So a quick go in the lab and 1.5 hours have passed! It really distorts time.
  • Imagine how good a Portal game is going to be after that short Lab demo.
  • Also Boris, Reddit is great for VR stuff. How much room space do you have?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    n0face wrote:
    Has anyone tried importing 3d models/environments into something so you can view and walk around them? I'm trying to sell my vive to a fiend who wants to show of interior designs in preparation for buying this new one.
    Do it through Unity, very straightforward to follow a tutorial on it.

I got the Hololens passthrough via UE4 working for showing some retopologised cad models to a company and cos it's rendering on the desktop (2080) I have raytracing enabled and it looks QUITE GOOD. So now there is a fairly lifelike virtual hydraulic contraption in the middle of the lab, bazinga

Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Nice. I’ve been wanting to snaffle our inferencing machine for some DXR tests cos it’s got 4 x RTX 2080 TI in, but it’s unix only and I cba to sort out the full win 10 install (and the rest) for it.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Also Boris, Reddit is great for VR stuff. How much room space do you have?

In my lounge I’ll have the recommended space of 7 x 5 feet. I’ve just ordered some extension cables for the headset as conscious it’s a bit short.

At the fiancé’s I’ll have more than that but then I believe I’d need another sensor.

What I like about my setup is I can box up the Rift close my laptop and take it all with me when I go back and forth between home and the fiancé’s
  • Yeah that is handy. I have to move furniture but when I do it's a pretty big space. The chaperone thing is a nice idea that I imagine will only get better as the cameras in the headsets improve. soon it'll just map the room for you. Then AR should be an amazing thing too.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    For anyone with a Vive, get the wireless thingy. Game changer
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • I think the new Index might have a future wireless module arriving quite quickly. I'd love wireless but it's a tad expensive, even for a VR nut like me.
  • Skerret wrote:

Is your place getting the HP Reverb?

Edit: The pro version.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Skerret wrote:

Definitely think this is going to be the thing next year. I want a good 4 hours charge though. Have already spent 2 hours in VR without even realising how much time has passed.

@SG - only issue with Guardian is it doesn’t react instantly so it’s possible to punch through the “wall” before it triggers.

• The Vive Chaperone fades in and out. When you get within arms reach it's really bright although you can disable it in the settings.

VNN have announced (so take it with a pinch of salt) the 3 new VR Valve games as being Half Life, Left4Dead and Citadel.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/bhm5xp/according_to_vnn_the_3_valve_vr_games_are_half/

Excite.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Well Beat Saber eh! Amazing. Just perfect.
  • Yeah it's great. Plz get Google Earth VR. It's also amaze. Make sure you alter the settings to get true human scale and stand on top of a skyscraper. 

• Also it's free.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep got it. Had a quick go yesterday. Didn’t know about the human scale thing. Will check it out.
  • New York is something else.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Wow. Got proper sweaty palms. Searched for the Chrysler building and was flying over New York with the floor dropping away below me. Proper vertigo moment.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Missus has done the oculus intro and some of the Lab. She was on for an hour without realising it. Loved it.
  • If you own Portal on Steam then this is great and free.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/446750/Portal_Stories_VR/
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Heehee.. Nice one Boris! It's quite the ride going in fresh to a lot of this stuff. Have fun! My username is DAQster on Oculus too. 

If you're in the Oculus system then avoiding SteamVr launching in the main is the goal; it just adds an extra layer of guff. The Oculus stuff has lots of tricks (that Steam largely also has obviously) but tends to work cleaner with Oculus native versions. They've only recently just dropped their ASW 2.0 which is a nonsense term for them spending lots of money on making stuff play nice as much of the time as possible on systems that aren't full bleeding edge bastard kit.  
    As a general rule buying stuff from either store is groovy but certainly try to make sure you're running the Oculus sdk version if at all possible. It often just automagically happens but sometimes needs a command line fiddle in Steam or in a launcher window to ensure it.

Lot's of cool things to try out. 

The Lone Echo story is very nicely done and the Echo Arena community I've found to be pretty friendly in the main. 

In Death is a cool Rogue like/lite? archery thing that does the archery mechanic exceptionally well. 

Wrench is a very pretty engine building/maintenance thing if you're into lego style building of race engines.

Budget Cuts has had a lot of updates  to make the throwing mechanic play nicer with the Touch controllers and I  think it's now a lot more usable than at launch. It's a very nice and interactive thing. 

Moss is beautiful to play through. 

Gun Club VR is a decent shooting range thing with guns to play with. Simple but effective. 

Vox Machinae is a cool mechwarrior thing that feels pretty darn cool. Still in development and from a small team but is excellent as it is. 

Kingspray is a nice arty way of using VR by doing Graffiti pretty well. 
    Oculus Medium is excellent for arty 3D clayish arty creation funzies too as well as Quill for more abstract 2Dish stuff.
    edit: Tiltbrush is a very nice version of this kind of 'drawing in 3d' kind of thing too. 

Thumper makes a lot more physical sense in VR as it pumps directly into your chest. 

Job Simulator has recently had its' sequel Vacation Simulator released. Both are fantastic but the Vacation one is clearly a lot more deep and more recent VR game. I'd get that first now if I was in the market. Both are excellent at what they do. 

Gorn and Sword and Sorcery are nicely done choppy, slicey dicey sim things. Chop up bad guys and gals with a selection of blades and toys. Gorn is comical and S&S is more.. realistic.. ish.. 

Superhot is amazing.. still.

I enjoyed A Fisherman's Tale a lot. Short but quirky and pretty fun puzzles. 

I believe SG has lost years of his life to Elite Dangerous. I've dabbled and enjoyed it's effects but found the controller hard to learn to use. A hotas is the best way to go deep here perhaps? 

Ultrawings is a great VR Pilotwings for the older folks. I loved going thorough it on launch, lost my save in a PC update and am pootling slowly through it again. It's great. 

Skyrim VR is.. SKyrim.. in VR. Amazing if you like that sort of thing like I do and heavily moddable to make it look pretty swish but it's still same old Skyrim. 

The Climb is an oldy but a goody. Nice simple concept to show folks, especially if they aren't fans of heights. Heh.  

Eleven Table Tennis does a great game of Table tennis. 

Polybius is top tier Minter madness. I'd consider that necessary VR entertainment but your Minter enjoyment levels may vary.. it's very.. Minter.. goats, cows.. hmm.. old hlaf remembered viddygame sound effects.. lots of speed.. 

Woof.. wall o' text there.. got a bit carried away. Might spoiler that in time. I'll say I'm still keeping an eye on the imminent release of the Oculus Quest (fully self contained mobile phone based VR with Oculus steroids pumped in as it has a lot of possible free cross buy stuff going on for current Rift store content owners). The Rift S has some pretty attractive usability functionality with it's onboard cameras and slightly fancier screens but as a Rift CV1 punter with a perfectly stable 3 sensor room it'll have to be pretty big cheese to get me to buy for the minute. 
    The Valve Index sounds pretty swish again but I sat on my specs last week so that'll have to be full amazeballs unfortunately to justify even more expense at the minute. I have a nasty feeling it might be amazeballs though. RIP the Credit card...I've got enough contacts to keep me not walking into doors for the foreseeable.. 

Crikey.. so much to see and do really. I do love me some VR and am looking forward to seeing where it goes form here really. The nephews are all fans as well. 
    RecRoom a popular hit, Vacation Sim the hot newness, Beat Saber the ever dependable since I've hacked it to have all the music.. Ach.. so much to do, so little time.
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Missus has done the oculus intro and some of the Lab. She was on for an hour without realising it. Loved it.

That Oculus intro thing is a great way of getting involved. Beat Saber is a very easy thing to pick up at the start as well.

Oculus Dreamdeck is another thing that is basically a quick collection of a series of demos they had going for the years and years of E3s they demoed it at before Facebook bought them and all that. It's also very beginner friendly. 

Showdown is a quick video run through thing as well of VR.. stuff happening around you. Intro friendly stuff and short. Hopefully not vomitty at all etc etc 

Introduction to Virtual Reality is strangely enough still a great selection of things to show an.. err... Introduction to VR. It's been there since launch but by Jimminy.. it still is very effective if the folks you're showing don't know how to hold a controller.
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!