Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Thread of Win
  • Hahaha Aris calling Valle a scrub. Superb. These Solo fights make me sad, seems to be fall backs after losing the first fight though, which is something I guess. Still not cricket, imo, fights just don't flow as well.
    "In the long run, if you play solid, you'll be a more solid player." Aris Bakhthanians
  • The Zafina alt costume review is amazing.

Yeah the solo fighters are a bit annoying I suppose considering we are in a tag game. As you pointed it, much of it seems to be a fall back option, if someone loses with a team they fall back to solo with the character they are most comfortable with to remove worrying about tag options. 

IMHO that's a mistake, the only real thing a solo character has going for them is the additional damage output. However if you were unable to get your opponent down to under 20% health in the rounds of the previous game, your 20% damage increase isn't going to help you. I can't remember of the top of my head what the damage boost actually is, I'm just using that figure as an example. You also have no access to tag crash to stop oki pressure in an emergency. If you go to the floor you are going to have to run the gauntlet when getting up, if you find yourself face down face away in a corner you can pretty much kiss your round goodbye as a solo character.

A lot of it is definitely the security blanket effect. Players feel more familiar after playing solo for the last 10 years.

That solo characters are currently getting wins to me comes down to the fact players with a team are trying to pressure the solo characters onto the back foot in attempt to prevent them from being able to start up their offence and thus minimise their exposure to potential damage. The thing is, any time you try and apply pressure on block you are open to someone punishing you if you throw out something with long recovery, or you risk someone sidestepping to the right after your jab and you having your follow up df2 universal launcher attempt sidestepped and massively punished for instance. 

I am hopeful that it's something that will die off as more people get their tag strategies implimented into their gameplans, or it's something that people will come to realise isn't some kind of OP I win button like we had in the first few days after launch.

What I personally don't want to see is events banning solo play though.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • i'm finally approved! 

just a big thanks to Escape for listing all the wakeup options - it's the part of Tekken i know the least about really, hopefully i'll have a few ideas on how to get up now!
  • Huzzah! Welcome to the thread Smang. 

I'll condense Escape's getting up advice and put it in the OP for ease of reference.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Smang wrote:
    i'm finally approved!

Fucking mugs... :}
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Welcome dude, glad you could make it. (Took yer time). I'll hopefully be on tonight (depending on work), the quest for a second character continues.
    "In the long run, if you play solid, you'll be a more solid player." Aris Bakhthanians
  • i'm finally approved!

hey! they let you in...
    Cherry_Pez wrote:
    Welcome dude, glad you could make it. (Took yer time). I'll hopefully be on tonight (depending on work), the quest for a second character continues.
    i only just got the email saying i was approved! i 'applied' like 3 weeks ago. 

i will be on tonight! unless you've arranged sessions with Rouj, in which case i'll just stand outside the window looking in with my face pressed against the glass.
  • Nah man I'll probably be working late again tonight so no Tekken for me.

Sad times.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Smang wrote:
    i'm finally approved!
    hey! they let you in...
    Cherry_Pez wrote:
    Welcome dude, glad you could make it. (Took yer time). I'll hopefully be on tonight (depending on work), the quest for a second character continues.
    i only just got the email saying i was approved! i 'applied' like 3 weeks ago.  i will be on tonight! unless you've arranged sessions with Rouj, in which case i'll just stand outside the window looking in with my face pressed against the glass.

Awesome to have you here, really... Would be good to see the rest of MM massiv' sign up...
  • true, but that might involve playing something other than sf4!
  • That would involve quite a mighty swing in opinion on the virtues of the King of Iron Fist. The SF4 pull is too strong I think!

Do you have a 360 at the moment Ricky? I might sort a small gathering at mine as well in the future, low ceilings and limited sofa (oh but what a sofa it is) space means the numbers would have to be pretty low though. Would be god to get some locals in with some of the more experienced Tekken heads.

Shortlist for secondary is now Feng, Zafina, Ogre and maybe King just to rinse that friendship bonus. Kunimitsu is also a definite try once the dlc is available.
  • i am glad to offer up my sofas, as i think Ricky lives nearish the smangcade... also i am lazy
  • Ah fair does, low ceilings almost cost Crispy his life last time he came over anyway.
  • haha, he can live without his brain. i'll go anywhere dude, just offering options!
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Cherry_Pez wrote:
    That would involve quite a mighty swing in opinion on the virtues of the King of Iron Fist. The SF4 pull is too strong I think! Do you have a 360 at the moment Ricky? I might sort a small gathering at mine as well in the future, low ceilings and limited sofa (oh but what a sofa it is) space means the numbers would have to be pretty low though. Would be god to get some locals in with some of the more experienced Tekken heads. Shortlist for secondary is now Feng, Zafina, Ogre and maybe King just to rinse that friendship bonus. Kunimitsu is also a definite try once the dlc is available.

No. :' (

My 360's currently playing home to... Ugh... Get this...

HALO SESSIONS ~.~

*Shudder*
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    You also have no access to tag crash to stop oki pressure in an emergency.

I've yet to find a way Lee can't punish a post-Bound TC after WR 3,4 (hard rebound knockdown) and non-splat d/f+3,2,3. Backrolling into a normal tag is unpunishable on an open stage (unless I can dash into a slide before the incomer's able to block; doubtful).

I share everyone's pro-tag sentiments, but it might transpire that teams are a real handicap on closed stages. Maybe.

Bear and Badger is up.

Feng's a good poker, Pez. But if you're playing this with the patience you do IV, I think King would be an excellent choice. He's one of the most well-rounded defensive characters.
  • Cheers man, I will give old Jag Head a look. 

Ricky that is a very sad state of affairs, locals at mine, Smang's or Roujin's will hopefully be set up in the near future (Any other London/Near by folk interested are more than welcome too)

Here's another handy hint from Aris:

• A good tip definitely, I use that technique with Yoshi where he can go into his KIN stance after certain punch strings. All I do is keep the last punch of the string held down and then press the remaining punch.

One thing though, its definitely better in the long run if you just get used to getting your dual button input press execution down, so that you can do your moves on reaction to punish unexpected whiffs.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    You should never be holding 1 or 2 in open play because of throws, but it's a great method for a number of things.

Aris' King example is a classic one. Baek's Flamingo 3 is another. Further to what Aris said, the game auto-selects the correct button in multi-press inputs, so long as the initial button is correct and the combo/throw doesn't have options.

I used to bind each pair of buttons to the pad's shoulders for King's Rolling Death Cradle. An auto-select example of King's is 2,2,1+2. You can hold down the second 2 and tap 1 for the 1+2, but you can also press the first 2, and then tap your 1+2 shoulder button twice.

If a taunt's 1+2+3, you can hold 1+2 and repeatedly tap 3 until it comes out. Or vice versa.

I used shoulder binds for King mainly to remember all his chain throws. It's okay if you only play one or two characters, but I had about eight on the go in Dark Res. With L1 as 2P and R1 as 2K, I memorised his throws according to left and right. So one string with loads of different buttons became left, right, right-and-hold, left.
  • Good to know man, still badgering away with Feng but I think my main issue is I'm playing him in close like Marduk and he really doesn't have the strings/moves to be effective that close. Should be dancing and poking around at mid to far. Started having a play with King as well, can get an 81 pint combo of Marduk's Bound easy as Jaguar Pie which is nice, he feels good too, will put some more time into getting to grips with him this weekend. The lure of that multi throw is great...

Hope to get some games with you soon Scape.

Oh and Gg's to Smang!
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Armor has better launchers than King, but worse mids and throws.

For King's throws, I recommend binding 2P to your HP button and 2K to HK. Like I say, it's much more of a memory help for King than an input one.
  • as cool as kings multi grabs are, is it worth using them? are they not easy to escape?
  • They are quite difficult to escape if your opponent doesn't know the escape input for each throw. The kings also have variable throw chains as well iirc, so you have multiple options during the grab.

The danger will come when you play someone who knows how to break the throws in the chain, however I still recommend against most regular players online that they will be pretty much incapable of breaking the throw chain, I haven't learned, I just mash on 1, 2 or 1+2 and hope for the best! This rarely seems to work haha! I think even if they break out of a chain, you are returned to far poke range, they may get some frame advantage but no so much that they will be able to get a free hit on you, so if you do get broken, just wait a moment after the break in case they throw out a poke and prepare to block low if they go for a sweep.

Am now updating the OP with the new player cards and B&B team links. Anyone else got their WTF profile linked up to their gamertag? I can add you to the OP and send out a Mordor team invite if you do.

EDIT: OP update complete. Had to remove the video embeds as it was getting a bit unwieldy in there for anyone using a mobile to access the site. If anything it's easier to find the videos you are after now they've been converted to regular links. If there's naything else you guys want in the OP just let me know!
  • Escape wrote:
    Armor has better launchers than King, but worse mids and throws.

Indeed, but as has been pointed out to me, Armour King hates Marduk, so the team comp wouldn't be remotely as good. Still haven't given up on Feng though, just hasn't clicked properly yet. Plus his move set isn't nearly as basic as Duk's.
  • Fuck team synergy, says I, it only affects rage generation time. Also aren't there some special moves that teams who hate heach other have? I'm sure I saw some team combo between Nina and Anna Williams for instance in one of the preview videos.

EDIT: Nina and Anna do have a special team combo thingy.

• True enough, but Rage can be a pretty handy thing to have early on if it's all going a bit wrong in a fight. I'll give him a look, threw Zafina in to the mix against Smang last night a couple of times, forgotten how absolutely bonkers she is, got some surprisingly heavy hitting moves that hit downed opponents. Too much damn choice. Also I turned Feng into Yun.

Feng_yun.jpg
  • Amaze.

Expect pictures of naked Jack when I get home!
  • I can't buy anthing in the shops to make my Charlie Nash style Feng, can anyone help?
  • haha divekicks!

i guess i'll re-familiarise myself with some the multi grabs then, i could remember the first 2 parts to a few, but then my brain went all spaghetti.

good games last night Pez, your Marduk is a hairy beast, i think i only won some because you haven't settled on a partner yet!

Nick, you did it before no? just buy the bits form the shop.
  • Hmmm, Well he has the combat trousers and the sleeveless puffer jacket. Plus you can stick some Aviators on for the glasses, but I don't remember seeing any big quiff hair options.

That part of the store I don't get, on some outfits with Marduk it has sideburns and actual front hair pieces available, but I'll go in with a new build and those two options will be locked out. Most confusing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!