Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Thread of Win
  • The option to buy or equip kit is greyed out.

Could it have to do with the online borking the first time I played, and not unlocking the DLC code or somthing? I've played loads of Ghost Battle, haven't beaten arcade yet.
  • Yeah Pez we made a convincing Nash at Smang's. Defo need it at home too. Ze quiff is available.
  • nick, it sounds like you're trying to customise one of the un-customisable costumes. select a blank slot first, it's a bit mental.

pez, the hair thing isn't explained that well, but if kinda remember from tekken 6 once you buy a 'base' hairstyle you can then add sideburns, quiffs, ponytails etc. in a separate category. i think you also need to equip the base first to even look at the extra stuff to buy.
  • Ooo, you can't change the existing ones. I wanted to get rid of Hwo's and Feng's entirely.

Borderlands is shredding my game time into a thousand pieces with a purple gattling gun, so haven't learned much yet this week.
  • Orly? Shit that would explain it, must buy more hair then. How apt.
    "In the long run, if you play solid, you'll be a more solid player." Aris Bakhthanians
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    That's it - you buy the base for 10,000 (or whatever it is now), then add yer left/right/front/back styles. You can colour bought hair but not original.

King's best throw options are broken with 2, which is what the majority of online players mash. So a lot of his really damaging grabs are out, but in that case the door's wide open for 1 breaks. His initial grab is always breakable, the second is often not (low damage), and then the third's a 50:50. And so on until the end or a break.

King's f~f~N+1+2 is great for pushing the opponent back into mix-up range. FC d/f+2 is a fantastic mid (it's in one of his sample combos). FC 1+2 tackle is underused because it's not very good, but it's nae bad for a sneaky attempt if they're turtling against Body Blow.

Avoid abusing Stagger Kicks and SS 2+4 and you're halfway there. It's much better to enter the Full Nelson with f,d/f+1+2 (goes under highs if timed well) or d/f,d/f+2+4. Unless you're confident the SS'll punish whatever they're about to do, like. SS 3+4 is safer if they're not crouching, though.

His most important throws are Giant Swing and f~f~F+2+4. From afar, f~f~F+3+4 is a bit of a go-to move for me, because it has huge priority for a mid, and often leaves you safe via forward roll (away from opponent) if they SS and it whiffs. Plus it's cool.

Poke with 1,2 and add 1,1 if they hit. It's an idea to be buffering throws behind every 1 and d/f+1.
  • I had no idea about the hair, I thought the only options for hair were just what was in the head customisation slot!

As usual Escape with that nocturnal knowledge bomb. I know nothing about King, other than that I had to play enough online douchers doing stagger kicks under the T6 netcode to put me off the guy for life haha!

Any early birds can catch Aris live on stream now, taking on the world vis PSN here: http://www.twitch.tv/avoidingthepuddle
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • i have trouble doing King's f~f~N+1+2 consistently, its about 50/50 with that move and cat dive coming out right now haha (sorry i don't know real move names).
  • Escape will likely be the expert who can help you but as there is a neutral position required, I suggest you make that the first port of call for investigation to help your execution. You need to make sure the stick fully returns to neutral, or comes far enough back that it disengages the microswitches.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • i know, i just need a bit of practice/better planning when using it. right now its "omg use that move!" and i just input it too quickly and get cat dive into invisible swimming pool, or his plain 1+2 move.

it seems best used after dashing in from a little bit of range.
  • A nice littel video from Aris talking about his general viewpoint on defensive play, and some theory on how best to use the defensive tools of your particular character, if they have some specific defensive/evasive moves, like Xiao's Art of Phoenix, or Zafina's spider stance for instance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ViZZBG1bqfk
  • Also comes with a Sig worthy quote to boot.
    "In the long run, if you play solid, you'll be a more solid player." Aris Bakhthanians
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Yeah, Cat Pounce means you're hitting 1+2 before you've released forward. Lowercase f means tap, uppercase F means hold. King's a very complex character, so I've barely covered half his game above.

JLF? Your switches have a long stroke (yus-they-do) if so. Without practice, returning to neutral is easier on a pad because Thumb Off = N. The problem with OMRONs is that they're loud to engage, but quietish on their return. So you think you're neutral before you are, or you feel it takes too long to guarantee neutral before pressing buttons.

My Saias disengage earlier. Because QCFs are less frequent in Tekken for many characters, you could tape the JLF's actuator to reduce travel to the gate, and then bounce off the gate for the four main directions. The downer with that idea is that you have to be right in the corners to engage diagonals. (It's how I play.)

My stick's off again next week for a few minor updates, including new switches. Those are the best mechanical switches I've had. When you wind the Allen key up, they activate and deactivate in such proximity that it's hard to manually move the stick from On without disengaging. They're virtually silent, too.

Groovy's Zippys are near-silent, an' all. I haven't tried Sanwa's new silent effort, but updated pivot aside, I imagine a Groovy-Zip JLF would be comparable.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Oh, and I meant to say that I've been offline because my Internets have been playing silly buggers during the rain down here. I'm also a bit intimidated to go online, because if I run into the top players I'm not at my best yet.
  • Escape, ranked is 80% pure noobs right now. People just pressing buttons all day or trying the old T6 netcode tactics like law flips x100000 which you can now smash under the new netcode.
  • My God relearning the dumb shit people will do online is like a baptism of fire.

Have just about got a handle on laws and their derp sweep flips. Getting used to Asukas and Juns pressing buttons and when to duck or low parry.

Steve I still have no clue, everything is safe, or at least all his go to punches look that way. Good as the netcode is, the reversals are still iffy. Seems like 50% of the time if I guess right and reverse, I get hit by a punch anyway. Cockbag wanker Steves!

Lars too, king of the insane pushback on block and owner of the low crushing long range unreversible flying knee launcher of safety on block.

Grargh. Why do the cunt players pick these characters? I suspect because their particular brand of cheese lends itself well to the online environment.

Sadly the blame falls at my own feet, too long out of the loop and having to learn to deal with the cheese again. Although Drag and Jack seem to be getting less effective the more I play. On the occasions where I am able to dictate match pace by reversing their go to shit, I usually prevail. But that has been once in last five games and luckily spared me a demotion.

• Right, that does it, Wang is getting mained, hard. I may even team him up with Jinpachi for team old man best friends for ever.
  • So Bob's OK then? :) Had some great drunken post pub matches with Smang last night, still haven't a clue what I'm doing with the fat guy really, but he's clicked straight away as far as movement and pace goes. Hopefully get some games tonight if anyone's about.
  • All characters are fine, its the same as watching a flochart ken, only in tekken the flowchart has 4 or 5 moves and a wrong guess against some characters with quick launchers and easy juggles is a one way ticket to loseville.

Bob has great mixups. Watch out and don't over rely on his roll mixup as good players will be watching out for it. Bob can great milage out of leaving his opponent too scared to counterattack on a lot of his stuff. A bit like Eddy, you can get away with moves that are unsafe because the opponent won't know when its safe to attack.

I'll be around for games. Wang is coming out, imma use his ridiculous low poke game to waste scrubs (hopefully).
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Escape, ranked is 80% pure noobs right now.
    Roujin wrote:
    My God relearning the dumb shit people will do online is like a baptism of fire.

See?! Wang's probably a good call for banging out the mash. It's a priority game against those people.

The better my opponents were in T6, the better I could be with Lee. Good players were cagey of him whenever I was able to zone, punish and carry them. Bad players would see that I was wary of them (Lee has lowish priority) and wade in. Depressingly, mashing d+4s often served me better than trying to time them for counters.

Kazuya, on the other hand, tore most of them up with no more than d/f+2s and Electric. But if I tried that against competence...

'Be buggered - it's Jeff Lynne!'

That's an overdue online mode, come to think of it: best of three fights. Mashers can thrive in single fights because they catch most others cold. It's fairly common to lose three in a row to three players you might beat 25-5 out of ten fights each offline.

Steve's incredibly safe. He might be the best close-range character of all. You really need a character with quick, far-reaching mids to handle him. If you can keep him out with mid pokes he's not half as cheap. I haven't played a good one for years, but Lee's 3 was my main weapon. Lee also has a great long-range whiff punisher in b+1:1,2.

Fast tracking mids are vital when he's trying to close the gap.

Lars is high-tier for a reason, but a lot of his players abuse him and leave themselves open for punishment with careless play. Keep moving - safe as you can, and hope you can create some breathing room. The more aggressive players used to eat a lot of slides because they were geared for chasing Lee, rather than easing me into a corner.
  • Hahaha excellent quoting work old bean!

Despite the cheese monkeying, online ranked is still a noobfest. My second post came after going what felt like (and probably was if I look back over my player card, no bullshitting about how well/badly your doing anymore) 8-2 in online ranked. Against players who really I should have been able to beat, for instance players using Laws 4,3,4 or 3,4,3 whichever the fuck it was. I was blocking and trying to jab punish, an old habit from the old netcode I guess. I should have just ducked the fuck down and launched a bitch. 

To be fair, most of my grief is coming from Law. Although whenever she crops up, Jun is dropping me like a bad habit, maybe its just me but she seems like Asuka on crack. 

Escape you would rape these guys hard man, your movement and general launch punishing is much better than mine, you would tear most of these faggoty noobs to pieces. I really should work on my mobility. I'll blame Jack for it because there's no point being mobile with him, his steps are too rubbish! Time spent with Wang will help as the little bugger has the shortest reach in the game.

I haven't given it much investigation, but as usual player matches seem to be where you find more 'good' players. I'd spend more time in there myself, but damn it how am I going to level up teh Mordor team in player matches!?

GGs last night with Pez, man your Marduk us just a big hulking man beast who refuses to let his size be any kind of hindrance. You haven't even started on his tackle mix-up game properly either! It's going to be a total nightmare when that comes good as well. Bob goes really well with him I think, especially his tag assault filler, gets some nice extra height for marduks slower limbs to wind up the juggle ender. Wang did some okay stuff, got a few power punches in which was nice, his launches seem to be ass though so will need to work on that if I want to make best use of Jinpachi. A character who I definitely will be hitting the lab with, yesterday was pretty much day one stuff and I spent half the time trying to remember what move to do! Will persevere though, in training I was getting some fairly consistant 70-90 damage juggles with him and Wang, the main problem right now is learnign Jinpachi, he's completely alien to most of the cast, in fact he's probably like a more extreme version of Ganryu, hits like a train, but slow as hell for the most part. Except that Ganryu can move better - up to a point. I need to make better use of Jinpachi's back teleport to try and draw people in or get them to run, because Jinpachi has some of the most ridiculously long (but slow) pokes ever. If you want to see, go to training, stand well clear of your enemy and press uf4.

EDIT: Well, well wellity, well. While searchign for Jinpachi videos for baby noobs, I came across a new little series from the LUYG chaps called Morning Bread & Butter, which seems to be a series of shortish character advice videos. Here are the current ones, I'll post the rest as and when they appear, they seem to be weekly though. So far there are vids for Jinpachi (yay!), True Ogre (woo!) and Forest Law (boo!).

• Yeah Gg's man, the whole tackle stance part of his game is yet to be scratched, every time I go into it now I immediately press a button, when really dropping down and then waiting for a chance to strike with the options it creates is the way to go I'd imagine. Plus sticking it at the end of his 1,2 pokes is a good way to gain momentum and make folks freak out. Still a ways to go till then though! Currently I can't press d/f 3+4 accurately enough to fall in to it. :)

Bob is ace, went in to the lab with him after we played and worked out an easy bound combo that nets him 65 points. tried a few different moves with him coming in after Duk has used a bound (although his default is super handy as you said) and can get around 75-80 off a few different moves. No idea how to break past 81 points of damage though, that seems to be my current ceiling with any team.

Team Old geezers is definitely going to be a handful once you've got more comfy with the moves and strings. Jinpachi's damage output is full retard and Wang has the horrid low poke game... Pension powers for sure.

I'm still going to give Draganov a look this week but Bob is definitely leading the charge for that second spot atm. He has the Saikyo Powers now too:
    bobsaikyo.jpg
  • Jinpachi's damage is definitely full retard. High risk high reward, he can be fully launch punished from most of his moves as many are -14f or worse on block though! Definitely requires patience to play effectively as it seems like you have to wait for an opportunity to to activate derp TGF launcher into silly damage. 

I reckon Bob will suit the Duk' more than Drag, with his more outwardly offensive style, but deffo give Drag a try and see what you think. Drag is best played in a defensive/counterattacking style, use his best pokes, d3, df4, b3, f2, uf1, to gauge distance, as they are pretty safe on block. This can often bait out a jab which you can reverse, or if they throw out something unsafe on block, you can punish with 1,2,1. 1,2,1 is one of the best 10f strings in the game, on counterhit it jails after the first hit and ends in a knockdown from which you can capitalise on Drags potent oki game. If you sense your opponent starting to stay away from you, then you can come at them with WR2. Learning how and when to buffer WR2 from other moves is something that you pick up with time, although it's unsafe on block, WR2 causes such huge pushback on block that if you are in open play there's not much most of the cast can do to stop you using it. 

About to update the OP with a load of links to websites, including LUYG where RIP has afucking awesome throw break trainer that everyone should have a look at (I am going to give it way more time, as my throw breaking is awful, I just mash on 1 or 2 or 1+2 like a chimp instead of actually trying to read the throw).
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Cherry_Pez wrote:
    Also comes with a Sig worthy quote to boot.

Mark Lawrenson S tier quote, that one...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Also, forgot to mention, Danbob is some kind of next level awesome.
  • Ha cheers, I need to find a suitable Marduk SF alt, shame there's no eye patch option thus far, I like the idea of turning him into a super-roid Sagat.
  • Have you got the swimwear dlc? I bet you could get him in some red pants with boots and mohawk with relative ease.
  • No beard, no dice.

SHAME ON YOU NAMCO/BANDAI!
  • Namco are prejudiced against beards, just like my stupid face.
  • I would pay for Beard DLC.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!