Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Thread of Win
  • At first it's a pain to deal with, but after a time you come to recognise that floaty spin during the startup of the first kick and then all I do is usually let the stick go to block the first hit and then depending on mood either just block the low or hammer df to try and parry it.

Sometimes though I hold back way to much when I should just leave the stick in neutral to deal with any high/mid attacks. Especially if you have a punisher thats a direction+button input.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    block the low or hammer df to try and parry it.

If you block the first low, you can hold d/f after and the parry timing falls into place.
  • Interesting, so you can just hold df and it will parry the second low? Nice. 

I find that twiching between d and df is a semi okay way of fishing out a parry from an expected but unspecific low. Obviously fuck you if you have an octogate. 

This reminds me, the time to finish my hitbox is now. Backdash cancelling would be piss on one. The hitbox guys already did a video on it and can I can confirm it's totally pissness.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • yeah i noticed you can hold df for a bit to get a parry (pez he tell me).

i think maybe some of my issue comes form online. if the connections not good i find it really hard to sidestep and block somethings. 

also what is the technicality of leaving the stick neutral to block? i swear sometimes i feel like i'm in neutral and i still get hit.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Interesting, so you can just hold df and it will parry the second low?

Usually. You can get it wrong, but Pez is correct about parries having, uh... some more active frames than you figured.

Holding d/f in open-play is a bit of a no-no, but a move like u/f+4,4,4,4 gives you a great timing cue.

Smang wrote:
    also what is the technicality of leaving the stick neutral to block? i swear sometimes i feel like i'm in neutral and i still get hit.

You'll be hit if you're still moving at all. Otherwise Neutral blocks all mids and highs, and Down on its own will block all lows.
  • thanks dude, i must be in transition from a dash or something then.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    If you are, you can cancel it with Back at any time.

I only use Neutral if I'm stationary before I'm attacked, otherwise I hold Back initially to guarantee I'm entering block at the earliest point.
  • Yah Aris told me so, d/f for 14 frames I think he said before it wears off. Maybe less but for a good amount of time, one of his AVP vids demonstrates it. Also a method of hitting d/f as he goes into blocking up close after a blocked low that will down parry any counter lows as he's going in to block. Next level stuff that blows my mind.
    "In the long run, if you play solid, you'll be a more solid player." Aris Bakhthanians
  • Many many vids I need to catch up on and post here, Borderlands 2 ate most of my time last week, but am coming back onto Tekken proper this week, after I took team Wangpachi out for a run short run over the weekend and got largely mauled by people who sucked. 

Especially with Jinpachi, I need waaaaaay more practice, I'm still getting that 'freeze' when you see an opening and cant think of anything to punsih with. Wang is okay because I alted him for a while in T5 and T6, but my lack of bdc skill is hurting his game. Hitbox project is going to get revived, I have a hankering for precision dash cancelling that I fear I will never achieve in a timely fashion with my aging wrists. Jinpachi is a cool mofo though. Nothing says satisfying like launching a fucking tiger knee into someone's face as they go for a low poke and then dishing out insane damage. His whill punishment game is scary, but again, we're coming back to bdc territory. With Jack and Drag, both had a variety of safe fast pokes at all heights to keep people out, 'pachi basically has his 1 or 2 jabs, and then 1,2 or 22 which are all high with the exception of 1,2 which is high mid. Wang also has tiny limbs so you are reliant on dashing in and searching for one of his low pokes, but again, none of those are 10f. Although Wang has the benefit of dope reversals so you can just spam 1 or 1,1 at close range to keep the pressure at bay safe in the knowledge that if your opponent keeps pressing buttons he will be reversed or punch parried eventually. 

Anyway, let the drip feeding of vids commence! Starting with LUYG's advanced guides on wall combos and frame dat0rz.

• one day ill also have the time to watch all the vids you posted. real life...

played ranked a bit this weekend, think i'm slowly getting better. blocked more lows and finished more combos from launchers i connected. gone form 25% win ave to 35%... 

i've managed to get jaycee's 'pelvic thrust' into a tag combo now, its pretty useful for flinging people up into a king air grab.
  • don't worry about win/loss ratio, you can lose so many games during the learning process for a character that it takes ages to pull it back. I've dropped from about a 65-70% win average with Jack & Drag to 45% with Wang and Jinpachi!
  • i'm not worried as such, i just think if i can get my self to 50% i'll have learn alot by then. or not...
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    50's a good target. If you win 1/3 as a beginner, you can hope to break even after a few 2/3 runs later on. That's how it went for me with Tekken 5.

Roujin wrote:
    I have a hankering for precision dash cancelling that I fear I will never achieve in a timely fashion with my aging wrists.

You could try the Versas I've gone for. They behave like HAPP buttons when you wind them up.

I'll grab some for you if you don't mind waiting a while.
  • Thanks for the offer man, but I think I'm going to leave the stick as it is. I just use a stock JLF and I've totally got used to just throwing it round for 360's, 180's and flicking it about for QCFs. Stiffening up the switches for a more crisp db between dashes would be nice, but I fear for the effect on my overall execution. 

I was halfway through a hitbox build this time last year, have all the buttons, pcb and wiring bits, just needed to order the plexi and other acrylic panels I need to line the box frame. I think I'll look at finishing it off and see what happens. 

As if by magic yesterday some guy on TZ posted a bunch Jinpachi/Wang combos, so I hit the lab and was able to appropriate some of the combos into solo Wang combos, managed to get a 78 damage fairly simple juggle that you can run off all his launchers, which is a nice versatile tool I didn't have before. Need to practice my waning moon combos though, but the time on being able to dash in after the throw and continue the combo is finnicky. Considering I can just tag straight off the throw and have Jinpachi come in and start taking 60-70 red life.

I like the feeling of progress you get when you find new stuff for your characters, or squeeze out a bit more damage from your most used juggles.
  • thanks for the advices guys, ill keep plugging. its slowly fitting into place. 

i considered swapping out one of my sticks with a seimetsu ls-32 i have lying around. not sure though as when i used it for sf my execution suffered somewhat.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Need to practice my waning moon combos though, but the time on being able to dash in after the throw and continue the combo is finnicky.

You've watched this?

I know of two follow-ups: the one in that video and the one in T6's Sample Combo. The latter's tight, because although you can bash bare dash, the kick has to be at close to max range.
  • I had not watched that video, no. I shall consume it over sarnies at lunch.

The follow ups I have seen include dash up d1+2 and dash up db4,2. I have much more success with db4,2 as it has a bit longer range and is a couple of frames faster starting up. d1+2 gives you a higher launch but I'm comfortable with the damage I can get off the db4,2 option for now. 

The thing is, you can tag during the waning moon anyway, I need to do some sums but considering Jinpachi's damage output I may be better off just tagging him in and letting him go at it, considering he can refloat with with ub1,2 and then either go into FLY 1,1,2,2 ender or regular juggle.

Spent a bit of time with Jinpachi in the lab last night, managed to find something to do with his df1+2 'launcher' which is a launcher in the loosest possible sense as it literally generates no height, you have follow it up with a quick bound and tag in your partner. Safe on block though and tracks like a mofo, but 19f start up. Such a pain, all roads lead back to maintaining a bit of space between you and the oppenent to give his moves a chance of landing as he can attack from outside the poke range of pretty much every character bar the bears with his df4 go go gadget leg.
  • This FT5 between Aris and Meto features epic rage. That is all.

EDIT: Also LUYG Have a new morning bread and butter out, for Lars. Collective sighs all round.

• Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Mishemo.
  • Right, after a couple of weeks away due to Borderlands 2, Mincraft 360 update and work I am back on the sauce. 

After recent locals I thought about maybe switching out Wang or Jinpachi for either Jack or Drag, but after shaking off the rust this week I’ll be sticking with the old men, especially as I hit the lab and rediscovered what Wang’s mid poke options are so now have a viable standing game where I’m not constantly having to rely on his variety of lows to open people up. 

Starting to get Jinpachi’s moveset into muscle memory, I’m having much less thinking about what I should be doing in a given situation with him and instinctively hitting the move I need. Also thanks to some guy over on TZ we all discovered that Jinpachi can follow his cheese f+3 knee with F3+4, 1 (teleport to shoulder barge) as a guaranteed follow up unless the opponent backrolls, which is unlikely as most people are wary of being caught in tech traps or getting refloated and so don’t generally backroll on a knockdown. Opened up a whole new avenue of oki pressure for me to explore though, as Jinpachi has plenty of moves which cause knockbacks on normal hit, which could then potentially be followed up by a forward teleport into something or his charge stance into one of his teleport god fist options.

I managed to catch the Dallas MLG event Tekken replays as well, which were really entertaining, although it needed less RIP and Tom Brady and moar Eddy Pistons commentary imho. Congrats to Anakin who was seemingly the only player who managed to beat one of the Koreans in attendance. It’s definitely shaping up to be a more entertaining game to watch all around than T6 at this point. The tag mechanics really help to make things more interesting, both in terms of general overall hype through more variety of options and longer juggle options as well the added ‘meter management’ aspect of looking after the health bars of both characters.  

Here be links to the MLG Fighters archive for Dallas: I think all the action takes place in video 1 and 2 iirc.

http://www.own3d.tv/MLG/video/869712
    http://www.own3d.tv/MLG/video/868772
    http://www.own3d.tv/MLG/watch/868596

And here be a couple of LUYG B&B character guides that emerged over the past two weeks .

Leo:

Bryan Fury

Eddie/Christie/TIGER MOTHERFUCKING JACKSON (So many buttons to mash they needed two videos to go through it all)

There were also a load of combo vids and other stuff that came out, however I’ll just post the highlight video, which shows a glitch during some dudes training mode session which caused the game to cycle through all the possible hit animations one after the other. It turns out that in Tekken there are 11 minutes of consecutive  hit animations, as Marduk demonstrates. There doesn’t seem to be much information around regarding this video or what the glitch even entailed though.

• Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I'm still piddling about with Angel here and there.

(Bit of news in t'Shed...)
  • How goes the piddling so far? I can't remember where but people seem divided as to whether Angel is a sucky Mish or a totally rocking awesome-o Mish. I don't have access to her thanks to a total lack of promo codes on my pre-order, because GAME. She is a Mish right? DJ alt, yes? Or have I just completely lost the plot?

Anywho here be some actually properly useful videos. First up is a tutorial vid on maximizing your tag assault damage by using sidestep left and right on your incoming character before you input the tag filler to adjust the position of their hitboxes and get stuff like Hwo's backlash to hit. It also covers using stance cancelling to extend the filler as the game treats stance cancelled stuff as a single combo. Maybe some potential stuff in there for your tea drinking Korean, Esc?

Next up is another tutorial from ATP which covers all the basics regarding backturned states, what are the standard way s of entering a bt stance (if your character has one) what are the default options during bt stance, and also awesomely a litle bit of explanation on the safest way out of a bt stance and some really interesting stuff on frame data when you are hitting someone who is backturned, Pez you should check it out because there is basically a guaranteed full combo for Drag if UF1 (the eye gouge punch thing) hits someone when they are bt. 

Also hot off the presses this second is this awesome combo video full of retardedly stylish combos from Yagami at Fighters Generation

EDIT: You can also play spot the character. I quite like the R.Mika and K' team at the end.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    I can't remember where but people seem divided as to whether Angel is a sucky Mish or a totally rocking awesome-o Mish.

I haven't followed the Zaibatsu vox pops, but a moderately sucky Mishima is still a good character in this game, and that's my take on her. Her damage is excellent.

Downsides...

* Small Electric hitbox
    * Poor post-SSR juggle tracking
    * Her non-core moves tend to be highly punishable (all flying options)
    * Very short arms
    * Fairly short BDC steps
    * Her mid-launchers have longish recoveries on block

But she's perfectly viable, and I find her exciting to use, unlike Devil Jean. But Kazuya's looking like the top character at the minute; he can sometimes get a DEWGF after a 1+2 (i12) without CH. And he can still CH d/f+2 into a tight Electric.

He's incredibly solid. Angel's high-risk and high-reward, with an abundance of flashy moves, but fewer-than-Mish-norm workaday ones.
  • Sounds a bit like Angel is to DJ as Jinpachi is to Heihachi.

Except that the pros and cons for size and damage are reversed as Jinpachi is bigger, totally shit on block for most of his moveset but OMG LOL DAMAGE.

Especially now that we have the new almost guaranteed followup damage technology for his f+3 and u+4 cheese knees (and uf+4 if it hits someone at short range), with the added bonus of being safe if the opponent does know the escape (backroll is the escape, but seriously, who actually gets up with a regular backroll given the general fear of being potentially refloated if your opponent catches you, Jinpachi can't refloat, although the follow ups do decent damage in their own right). I'm really enjoying getting into the post knockdown teleport mind games with Jinpachi, especially if you land something on someone after knocking them away and they thought they were safe. Often this will cause them to lie still on subsequent knockbacks and you can run in and start stamping on them instead. 

If Jinpachi doesn't make the cut for T7 and it's likely he won't since I have no idea where he stands in the canon, (technically dead I guess after T5) I will do a small crai. He is the only Mishima (outside of T3 Jin - BUT I WAS YOUNG AND FOOLISH) that I have ever felt the slightest inclination to pick up. 

Apparently all the remaining characters are going to be unlocked tomorrow, finally can get my Dr. B on and see if there's the possibility of swapping out Wang for him.
  • Well, I was wrong, all the characters, stages and costume dlc was all unlocked today!

First impressions on Dr. B, he is Dampierre incarnate, which suits me fine. I predict a low tier ranking, a lot if his stuff seems ass on block and they have removed a lot of his floor stuff, it seems you can only reset his falling and lying down with the restand explosion, you can't go straight from the floor into his Zen stance, unlike yoshi for example. High risk, but I think if you don't know him his unpredictability will be his biggest advantage.

His Phd is in Trollology.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm getting this for WiiU. Costumes sold me.
  • Good man, is out at launch?

Playing it on a WiiU pad could be a bit of a pain, does the WiiU support the Wii classic controllers? If not at least Madcatz are going to be releasing some arcade sticks at some point.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Playing it on a WiiU pad could be a bit of a pain

Not if you rumble 'n' tumble as Doc. You could be running him on a glockenspiel and mans wouldn't be none the wiser.
  • Regarding the Doc, how hilarious is it listening to the announcer try to pronounce his name!?

DOCTOR BOSCUNOHHHVATCH

I am yet to take the old duffer online, still testing the water against ghosts, but the CPU is annoying as it will just insta punish all his stance transitions on reaction with whatever hurts the most so I'm not getting a good idea of how easy his stances are to punish on reaction for people. Initial talk on TZ suggests you can get away with quite a bit, but I'm sure thats only due to the newness of him. That said, this lolsome vid did appear:

• Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Haha! Sample Combo 5 is the greatest combo in the game.

(Is the online oppo really that bad?)

Tried Angel yet? I landed her Combo 7 the other night. MORE THAN ONCE!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!