Need For Speed
  • The courses are marked, just not very well in a few cases, so you'll miss the odd turn rather than get lost.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Did some great races tonight. Proper edge of the seat stuff, massive drifts and missing traffic by millimetres. 

Exciting stuff this game. I'm feeling a little RR:U in it also when you're taking guys out at full pelt.
  • I've not played it, Mod.

I'm contemplating a trade, as I can't afford it outright.

I honestly have no sense of direction though. I'd need a large Crazy Taxi style arrow helping me out.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • It's only the odd race, it seems to have trouble with off ramps (why can't I think of the English term?!), and occasionally you will get green arrows indicating a sharp turn. I think it's the consistency of the information given for direction that's at odds with itself, and the penalty of missing a checkpoint because the marker doesn't always lead the eye as it does in other such games. It's a delicate balancing act of map, traffic, car position and checkpoint direction, which works brilliantly sometimes but can conspire against you on others.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • I think there is a lot of emperor's new clothes about this game. Passing a speed camera and being clocked at 80 when it seems like you are doing about 300? And how about being able to retry a challenge instead of being dumped straight back into the game?
    PSN: LtPidgeon - Live: Lt Pidgeon
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Webbins wrote:
    It's only the odd race, it seems to have trouble with off ramps (why can't I think of the English term?!),

um, um, um....slip roads?

(that's an odd name when you think about it)

Played a bit more....good luck to anyone attempting the Veyron average speed races. fuck. me.

One thing that is utterly baffling me is the seemingly low number of distinct races. I seem to be playing the same dozen races over and over.
  • Louiecat
    Show networks
    Xbox
    louiecat
    Steam
    louiecat

Send message
    I_R wrote:
    The cops are beatable, it's just feels very unnatural and gamey how you do it. Slow down on cool down and look out for them on the map, hiding somewhere works if you can find a spot. The odd bit is that the ones that were behind you slow down to a crawl once you're out of sight, but if you speed away the game just spawns more in front of you. It's a bodged technique to cover for the almost complete lack of cop AI.

I think the system works fine. It can be frustrating if you end up with a higher heat level at the end of a race but I quite like the way you have to zoom off and then slow down to avoid other police cars  as you enter cooldown - its a bit like bit pilot on ios in this sense - plus also that moment when you think you have evaded them and one spots you and it all kicks off again in a roar of those wonderful sound effects - totally filmic.
    rest less
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    LtPidgeon wrote:
    I think there is a lot of emperor's new clothes about this game. Passing a speed camera and being clocked at 80 when it seems like you are doing about 300? And how about being able to retry a challenge instead of being dumped straight back into the game?
    If you press start you can select retry event...
  • Moto70 wrote:

Of course you can, but you normally also get some dialogue option at the end on an event to offer various options of what you would like to do next instead of being dumped back on the road. There are a number of issues with this game that seem to get getting glossed over for some reason. Has anyone else noticed the jump/stutter/glitching of audio in this on the 360 version? The frame rate (at times) is also inexcusable in such a game at this stage of a console's life.

I haven't played it for that long, but already these issues are quite apparent.

• FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Replaying tracks doesn't bother me. In fact I've been quite happy when I've recognised a track and known how to do it better. If you look at the MP there's plenty in the pool available. 

Only thing bugging me about this game is the amount of spike strips. It's insane.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Just got into work for the first time since Thursday and no game still. I hope the c-unit that stole it gets Aids of the mind.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    LtPidgeon wrote:
    Moto70 wrote:
    Of course you can, but you normally also get some dialogue option at the end on an event to offer various options of what you would like to do next instead of being dumped back on the road.
    Ah right I thought you just didn't know it was there, I didn't know about being able to turn the engine off until I read it in here.
  • LtPidgeon wrote:
    There are a number of issues with this game that seem to get getting glossed over for some reason. Has anyone else noticed the jump/stutter/glitching of audio in this on the 360 version? The frame rate (at times) is also inexcusable in such a game at this stage of a console's life. I haven't played it for that long, but already these issues are quite apparent.
    I've not noticed any audio drop outs, but the frame rate does drop abruptly every so often, there is a definite feeling that it's pushing the 360 very hard. Developers seem to find that a worthwhile trade for having so many lighting and particle effects. I don't mind 30 frames a second myself, but I'd have thought a solid 30 was a must. Thankfully I'm not noticing the drops too often.

Need for Speed: Most Wanted appeared fifth in the UK all-format charts - it could only manage the week's fourth highest new entry. The Criterion-developed game was beaten by WWE 13 in third and Football Manager 13 in fourth.

Sauce

Doesn't sound great.
  • FranticPea wrote:
      Found the Atom, crafty where that's hidden I must have driven past 20 times before I noticed.

There appears to be at least two spots to find each car..
    The Forum Herald™
  • I HAVE ORDERED THIS.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Still loving it.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I've been using the first person view quite a lot, I find it a bit easier at higher speed to judge the layout of traffic ahead.

One thing that does really annoy me, and this applies to both views, is that whoever designed the UI thought it'd be a good idea to put all the notifications (informing you when you've wrecked an opponent/police car) on the horizon line - This Means your view of the horizon is obscured whenever it pops up, which makes it very difficult to judge your line for weaving through upcoming traffic etc. 

It's only a small detail, but I've noticed it on more than one occasion and I'm surprised it didn't come up in testing.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Sort of related but I sit very close to my screens and I had to reduce the size of the display window a few notches as I was getting a bit disorientated.

Especially after some of the intro movies, particularly the one that swirls round that big piece of art. Makes your eyes go funny then dumps you blinking into a race at full speed.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I_R wrote:
    LtPidgeon wrote:
    There are a number of issues with this game that seem to get getting glossed over for some reason. Has anyone else noticed the jump/stutter/glitching of audio in this on the 360 version? The frame rate (at times) is also inexcusable in such a game at this stage of a console's life. I haven't played it for that long, but already these issues are quite apparent.
    I've not noticed any audio drop outs, but the frame rate does drop abruptly every so often, there is a definite feeling that it's pushing the 360 very hard. Developers seem to find that a worthwhile trade for having so many lighting and particle effects. I don't mind 30 frames a second myself, but I'd have thought a solid 30 was a must. Thankfully I'm not noticing the drops too often.

Need for Speed: Most Wanted appeared fifth in the UK all-format charts - it could only manage the week's fourth highest new entry. The Criterion-developed game was beaten by WWE 13 in third and Football Manager 13 in fourth.

Sauce

Doesn't sound great.

I mentioned the audio issues a few posts back and got ignored. Seems people are happily stepping over some real issues with this game.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I haven't noticed any audio that I could definitely say was a glitch and not intentional.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    There's several, the sound popping in and out. I'm using a 5.1 system - maybe more apparent on it? But yeah, defintely in a Fez-like manner.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    The game has plenty issues. Not noticed any audio bugs, frame rate can be iffy but doesn't bother me enough to care. SP lacks focus. 

BUT. When I'm actually racing I think it's superb. Fast, crazy and fun. A lot of fun. That's all I care about.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I've not had any bother with the sound, in fact i love what theyve done with it. Going into tunnels gives you the great engine echo, boosting cuts out the effects and pumps up the volume of the music etc., it's great stuff.

The flash from speed cameras, and the table that takes up a quarter of the screen every time it pops up is a mare though. It's fair enough while you're free roaming, but mid race that shit should be turned off. We need to do more multiplayer as that is where this really shines, playing against the AI isn't fun for me.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    MP will get better as we play more, I'm convinced. Friday was fun but it'll be better once we know more routes.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I've still not got involved in MP at all so I'm very excited for that side of it.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    I haven't noticed any audio that I could definitely say was a glitch and not intentional.

I have had very noticeable dropouts. I am also on a 5.1 system but that shouldn't make a difference.
  • Just unlocked the 918 Spyder.
    The Forum Herald™
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Argh. I'm loving this but XCOM is calling and Halo 4 is being acquired tonight. Why do 3 of the games I really really want to play all arrive more or less at once. If these had been spread out I'd have been happy all year.

Still not found all the security gates and jackspots. I bet some are a mare to find.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I've got one speed camera to get. Fuck knows where it is.
  • Time to break out the guide and go through them one by one is it?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!