The B&B Book Review
  • Im now a good chunk of the way through The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss(book 2 after The Name of the Wind) and its rather excellent. Much as the first one was. Its quite slow but really well written. 
    Seeing a mention of Strange & Norrell a few pages back brings back memories! What a brilliant book. Shame there was never a sequel.
    I see The Night Circus is being made into a film? Could be great......
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Hmmm. I bailed before the halfway point of The Night Circus. I just wasn’t feeling it, but it’s a book I’ve often thought of returning to as so many seem to love it.
    Get schwifty.
  • Its been years since I read it, it was the atmosphere that the book created which made it a winner. I see the author has a new book out.... The Starless Sea (not a sequel). Must get that.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I only started it last year, so I think I remember enough of it to just pick up where I left of. After The Dark Tower perhaps.
    Get schwifty.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I saw the Idris Elba film first so I can cross Dark Tower off books to read as well.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Better not to mention the film, thankee sai.
    Get schwifty.
  • Riding So High - The Beatles & Drugs

Fab Four, fab gear.

Good book and reveals how the loveable moptop’s were basically off their tits throughout their entire existence. From cheap speed, Benzedrine inhalers and prellies in Hamburg through to giggling their way through the filming of Help!, so stoned they could only film in the mornings as they were too baked by midday to do anything remotely constructive. Lennon’s year long acid trip, late sixties heroin habit and Macca’s Pepper-era love of coke.

Also details their indulgences post-Beatles - worth it for McCartney’s ongoing pot busts, which see him spending most of the 1970’s detained at airport security.

Ringo’s alcoholism is a bit depressing. As is Lennon’s lost weekend and Epstein’s sorry decline.

A bit of a comfort read as I’d heard most of it before anyway but y’know, I rattled through it in no time.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    I saw the Idris Elba film first so I can cross Dark Tower off books to read as well.
    lololol :D
  • Just finished Hyperion by Dan Simmons. Really liked the 7 tales and perspectives, still thinking about the ending.

Also got Body by Bryson on Audible which is a fact filled joy.
  • I was forced to buy Agency (Gibson) when my 2yo decided a tantrum in the bookshop should end with a book falling from the shelf and ruining the cover.

He has good taste in writers.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    Just finished Hyperion by Dan Simmons. Really liked the 7 tales and perspectives, still thinking about the ending.

I loved Hyperion. Are you going to read The Fall of Hyperion? It ditches the Canterbury Tales structure, but it’s still excellent. I loved those two books enough that I’ve already bought both Endymion books along with The Terror, Summer of Night and Carrion Comfort by the same author.
    Get schwifty.
  • Will definitely pick up the next one. I rushed the end and can't quite fathom the poet's contribution.
  • Vela wrote:
    I was forced to buy Agency (Gibson) when my 2yo decided a tantrum in the bookshop should end with a book falling from the shelf and ruining the cover. He has good taste in writers.

Shame about the cover, the UK edition is quite a looker.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    lololol :D

Please.

Not even in jest.

Continuing with three body problem. Enjoying it - only about a third of the way through.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • poprock wrote:
    I was forced to buy Agency (Gibson) when my 2yo decided a tantrum in the bookshop should end with a book falling from the shelf and ruining the cover. He has good taste in writers.
    Shame about the cover, the UK edition is quite a looker.

Only a minor bend. Worse was caused by the removalists in our recent move.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • ’Tis but a flesh wound.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    Will definitely pick up the next one. I rushed the end and can't quite fathom the poet's contribution.

Popular opinion says the first book is the better of the two. I’m torn because, while the first book is great, the second is the more bonkers of the two, and I prefer my fiction on the extreme edge of weird. Hope you enjoy it.
    Get schwifty.
  • Hyperion...stopped about midway through the first for some reason. I was enjoying it though. Very different.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    LarryDavid wrote:
    91%2BOF22kkLL.jpg

^This is a fascinating book about the Manson murders and associated late-60’s subjects, whilst we’re vaguely on the subject.
    Picked this one up at the library yesterday, didn't realize it was a very recent book, 2019 release if I'm not mistaken!

Off on a pretty good start, curious how this will continue.
  • Fairly sure they all die in the end
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    In the first chapter of this the deaths of Bugliosi and Manson were mentioned, but O'Neill was at least able to talk to them. I actually don't know about the Family members, most were still alive when Bugliosi added the last update to Helter Skelter. A lot of them were Christians by then.

I just didn't realise when I picked this up it was written in a whole different era then Helter Skelter. Could be interesting, as I don't think O'Neill has any personal stakes in the story.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Mark Lawrence’s Book of the Ancestor and Broken Empire trilogy books are on sale for Kindle today for 99p each. Have never read him before, but at that price I snapped them all up.
    Get schwifty.
  • They’re all amazing if that’s your bag.

Even though I own the proper books, Ive bought the digital copies I don’t have at that price it’s a bargain.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Anyone on mantel yet?
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Anyone on mantel yet?

I bought it for £12.50 from Tesco but haven’t read the second one yet but that was too good a price to turn down.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • I don't like her style. Who the fuck is talking?... Is that exposition or narration?... What is going on?... I must be getting old or something!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My reading habit is very patchy at the mo so making heavy weather of everything.

3 body prob is getting very interesting. Very clever.

I'm not sure it's that user friendly. There a bit about building a computer using soldiers to operate as logic gates. Whilst I get that because I studied that at a young age (14 or so when computer studies in school meant something) I'm not sure laypeople would ....
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    My reading habit is very patchy at the mo so making heavy weather of everything. 3 body prob is getting very interesting. Very clever. I'm not sure it's that user friendly. There a bit about building a computer using soldiers to operate as logic gates. Whilst I get that because I studied that at a young age (14 or so when computer studies in school meant something) I'm not sure laypeople would ....

Huh??? Have you ever read the Greatwinter trilogy by Aussie Sean McMullen, it's kinda based around that concept above, a steam punk(?) universe without even steam yet, but the world building was great and some of the characters really drew me in
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nope.

3 bodies goes on about AND , XOR, and OR gates. Just thought it felt like a leap as I read it.

The clever bit of the story isn't that though - it's how the VR game fits into it - don't want to spoil things.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    The Dark Tower.  One chapter to go.
    Get schwifty.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!