#Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I really wanted to like The Fisherman.  A great idea, and there’s some striking imagery in there, but I just felt like Langan didn’t capitalise on his ideas.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Finished The Sleeper and the Spindle.  It’s very slight, and helped immensely by the beautiful illustrations, but I enjoyed it.  I’m already wondering if I might be able to sit my older nephew down long enough to read it to him.  Might be better off easing him in with some of the Grimm’s fairytales first.

I really should read more Gaiman.  So far I’ve only read this one and Norse Mythology.
    Get schwifty.
  • ALWTASAAP finally arrived in the post today (finished Windup Bird Chronicle last night, just saying).

Time to get crackin'.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Godspeed...
    Get schwifty.
  • Reading and adoring Ten Thousand Doors of January at the moment. Just picked up another hot property - Gideon the Ninth - as it is on sale on Kindle today.

Sounds fun...

“Unlike anything I’ve ever read. ” —V.E. Schwab

“Lesbian necromancers explore a haunted gothic palace in space!” —Charles Stross

“Deft, tense and atmospheric, compellingly immersive and wildly original.” — The New York Times
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Ten Thousand Doors was on my hit list.  That you’re enjoying it, tiger, means it really could go either way as to whether it’s actually good or not.  ;)

Doesn’t matter too much at the mo, to be fair.  Robin Hobb’s Assassiny thing is next on my list.
    Get schwifty.
  • Pah and pah again!

My taste is quite perfect. If you don't dig particular books in multi-awarded nominated (and winning) series, that's fine, as we all like different things... but I think they pass the 'good' mark by a margin!

PAH TO YOU.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I was only joshing, bud.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    x
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Get a room
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Get a room

x
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ooh ménage a trois?
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Get in here.
    Get schwifty.
  • Between book club reads I have picked up Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

Just read the first Voight Kampff test chapter and it fills in so much more context to the two films that can only be implied there. Lots of things like the reasoning behind Deckard disliking androids and the significance of animals.

Beautiful prose too. The apocalypse has never sounded so poetic.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • That's Androids dusted off. Racing through the bookshelf this month.

I knew it was different to the films, and obviously expected that things would not go the way they did there. But the themes were as familiar as old woolly socks but so much more in depth by way of internal monologues. Events also happen very quickly, and what is significant in the film is more of a framing device for Deckard to mull over.

Mercerism confused me though, particularly at the denouement. Maybe some body who has read it could confirm my understanding in spoilers below:
    Spoiler:
  • Dust and retards never covered in the film.
  • Dust was certainly in the second film, and JR was at least portrayed as eccentric, but not explicitly a chickenhead.
  • But the second film has not much in common with the book, was carried by aesthetics.
  • Correct, the narrative is different. The common thread is the themes and background rather than events.

In 2049 the ecological collapse was a significant contextual (past) event that changed the world. It wasn't really a feature in the first film.

All three works are fantastic either way.
  • I finished Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas last night. When I figure out what the American Dream is I'll review it. Genuinely hilarious book throughout and in particular loved how they manipulated other people into paranoia.

Now I've started The Name of the Rose. This may take some time...
  • Gideon the Ninth is only £1.96 on Kindle at the moment. Also picked up 10000 Doors. After reading and enjoying The Builders, I also picked up the Low Town Trilogy by Daniel Polansky.

I'm spending a lot on books at the moment, loving it.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I am a good two thirds through Robin Hobb’s Assassin’s Apprentice and it’s fucking brilliant.  This might be the only book I’ve ever picked up where I had no actual interest in the story, but over the years I’ve just heard so many good things about how good Hobb is at writing characters and the shit she puts them through that I had to give it a try.  And it’s all true.  It’s exciting to think that there are so many more of these books to read.
    Get schwifty.
  • Finished Daniel Polansky's Low Town Trilogy - really, really enjoyed it. Loved the mash up of gritty fantasy and noir detective - Warden is a great anti hero and a charismatic bastard too. Will definitely be picking up any of his other books, I like his writing style.
  • Cool. I really enjoyed The Builders but haven’t got around to looking at his other stuff.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Just noticed that his book 'Those Above' is 99p on Kindle at the moment too. Bought, along with the sequel at 3.99.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Cool. I really enjoyed The Builders but haven’t got around to looking at his other stuff.
    I really enjoyed The Builders too, although I wanted more of it. Low Town really scratched that itch for that style of hard boiled crime noir.
  • Ooh, good to hear. I haven't read anything else by him.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Finished Vol.1 of Churchill's The Second World War

Vol.1 is heavy going as there is a lot of politics in it though it is necessary. Winston hammers home the message that his warnings went unheeded for years and his opening stance is that WW2 was unnecessary - if France and UK had grown a pair and faced Hitler  down on any 1 of several opportunities things may have turned out very different. Who knows though really? Certainly less bloodshed was one outcome but the web of treaties that existed at the time kind of had countries tied up in commitments.

It doesn't really get going until page 300 when the Czech situation develops. What a bunch of pussies we were then - sold them off lock stock and barrel to appease with Russia getting involved too with land grabbing. Poland was next with Russia taking a piece of them too which brings us in.

Anyhow it soon moves to Norway, Finland and Sweden. The Finns kick the Russians' arses and we go toe to toe on sea with Germany and do them over - but then screw it up on land and have to beat a retreat - just before Germany makes the big move on mainland Europe, Chamberlain gets booted out and the book ends with Winston in the big job.

Churchill proves to be adept at making the engagements come to life on the page. So it becomes very easy reading during those passages.

Some interesting insights in managing people which could probably be applied to emergency management now - particularly in the public sector.

Anyhow Vol.1 weighs in at well > 600 pages including Appendices, most of which I read as they fill in some interesting detail - 5 more volumes of similar size (some fatter) to go.....I might take a break from it. :)   But this is a bucket list book for me - I will definitely return to it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!