Dark Souls
  • ZMM wrote:
    How do I kill the Taurus demon.

Mine mnaged to fall off the bridge
  • Has anyone got the gravelord invasion thing to work? I've tried 3 times in The Dukes Archives and nothing
  • Somehow managed to stumble blindly through the Catacombs and get to Pinwheel - he spanked my arse as I was down to half health and out of flasks when I dropped into his crib. Note to self: Blessed weapons to deal with those meddlesome skellies.
  • On Seath,
    Spoiler:

Yeah, first question is, is this at the top of the archives after going up a round staircase in a relatively small room? Or is this in the crystal caves? If the first, then you don't if the second, what paul said, although I would suggest that front on is the place to be once you know the attacks. You can charge in, wail on his stomach, then roll back out, and it's only really a grab attack and one AOE attack you need to watch for. His usual side to side spray you can get inside of.

Oh, and most importantly:
    Spoiler:
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Somehow managed to stumble blindly through the Catacombs and get to Pinwheel - he spanked my arse as I was down to half health and out of flasks when I dropped into his crib. Note to self: Blessed weapons to deal with those meddlesome skellies.

Those dudes with the fire lanterns are mainly what's keeping them coming back, so on the upper levels you should be ok now. You can use anything on those upper ones. The fire lantern dudes who are lower are a bit harder to find. If you haven't, then yeah, divine weapons to drop them. Keep an eye on your souls, if you don't hear the noise, and see the souls added, you know they're reviving.

@zmm: paul's tips are true enough, but you may as well learn to harden up and take on a boss mano a mano. The next bosses you'll fight don't help you out as much. So as with any boss in the game, you learn their attacks, you learn when you can swing at them, and how many times, and then you block or get the fuck out of the way when they're going you. And if your stamina is low, drop your guard, as it'll return quicker. Don't use up all your gold pine resin. It's actually quite hard to come by, and the early bosses are a waste.
  • Petey
    Show networks
    Twitter
    peterhughesdev
    PSN
    windupharlequin
    Steam
    windupharlequin

Send message
    Lols

The janitor.
  • I will lols when i get home and can see it.

@Dog: I'm not 100% sure, but I'd suggest that the eye symbol that the other players see is located where you first activated the eye of death. So if you want dudes to invade, I'd suggest activating it right in front of the bonfire. I still don't think it's a definite to get other dudes in. AFAIK it effects three other worlds, and if they have other shit going on, they mightn't notice it. And if it works well enough, especially in dukes, they'll have extra/harder enemies to deal with. So they're probably fucking dead. Might be worth trying in the parish, more dudes, easier enemies, more obvious spots to put it.
  • ZMM wrote:
    Thanks for the info, but I have more questions! Why is my chain armour slowing me down so much now when it wasn't before, also some fuckhead 'invaded' and started killing me, so I disconnected from Xbox live. What the hell is that about people a much higher level than you can come into your world and fuck you up?

A couple of things, because the MP is actually some of the coolest shit in the game once you understand wtf is going on:

He would not have been a higher soul level than you. Or rather he could only have been (I think) 3% or so higher than you. Basically, you can't invade lower level players. However, it's possible to get through the whole game without levelling up at all, if you know what you're doing, and it's certainly possible to just do a little levelling and then sit around a particular spot and either invade or co-op.

The two main mechanisms that make this possible:

1. Pyro hand (which you won't have yet unless you selected pyromancer class) doesn't level up like everything else. So it's possible to sl1 with a +15 pyro hand (ie massive damage, and good enough to be dealing with end game bosses).

2. Gear. if you spend your souls upgrading low level gear, and/or just legging it to get some of the better loot dotted around the world, you can wear and use whatever the fuck you like.

I have an sl10 build that has got through the whole game and has upgraded armor, +5 lightning weapons etc etc. Lucky for you I only use my powers for good. ;)

As has been said, probably best to only play unhollowed when you want to kindle or co-op. Once you beat the tourus demon you'll get a summon soapstone which will let you be summoned to other player's games.

It's also worth knowing that once you've beaten an area boss, you can't be invaded in that area (and that the inbetween areas can't be invaded (ie firelink). if you're struggling with tourus it might take you a while, but once you make it to the parish bonfire, and can start upgrading weapons (and get a decent fucking shield), things will become clearer.

Once you're based there, it's soooo worth trying your summon sign out and helping other players. You can drop your summon sign while hollow (undead), so you won't be invaded, and then when you get summoned to another game, you can play around, help out, see what happens in other games with invaders etc etc, and it just doesn't matter if you die. You'll just be sent back to your game with whatever souls you'd collected. And if you do help them beat the area boss, you'll get 5k+ and 1 humanity. You can just keep doing that as much as you like too. Great way to save up and upgrade weapons quickly.

if you do get invaded and killed, just go back and retrieve your souls. Stick close to a bonfire if it happens so you don't have to go far.
  • 4 Kings down.  Gave up with pyro and just went with dual handing the lightning spear +5 along with the stamina shield.

I always ended up with four of the swines trolling me before but this time I mostly had one at a time.

Can you backstab Gwyn?
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    Can you backstab Gwyn?

99% sure you can't. You can defo counter him, believe it or not. Check out dubs doing it in NG++ with an sl1 for inspiration. obviously pretty hardcore way of doing it.

• Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Ripost'ing Gwyn has to be the easiest way to kill him. He practically kills himself.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I hear this game is good. But from my understanding I can't be arsed as it sounds like too much hard work. I'd rather play vanquish or mirrors edge and fail a lot and then blame the game. Ah thank you.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • it's funny reading about how hard it all is. Once you fight through a bit of the pain, and/or co-op lots. It's really not that hard.
  • Facewon wrote:
    ZMM wrote:
    Thanks for the info, but I have more questions! Why is my chain armour slowing me down so much now when it wasn't before, also some fuckhead 'invaded' and started killing me, so I disconnected from Xbox live. What the hell is that about people a much higher level than you can come into your world and fuck you up?
    A couple of things, because the MP is actually some of the coolest shit in the game once you understand wtf is going on: He would not have been a higher soul level than you. Or rather he could only have been (I think) 3% or so higher than you. Basically, you can't invade lower level players. However, it's possible to get through the whole game without levelling up at all, if you know what you're doing, and it's certainly possible to just do a little levelling and then sit around a particular spot and either invade or co-op. The two main mechanisms that make this possible: 1. Pyro hand (which you won't have yet unless you selected pyromancer class) doesn't level up like everything else. So it's possible to sl1 with a +15 pyro hand (ie massive damage, and good enough to be dealing with end game bosses). 2. Gear. if you spend your souls upgrading low level gear, and/or just legging it to get some of the better loot dotted around the world, you can wear and use whatever the fuck you like. I have an sl10 build that has got through the whole game and has upgraded armor, +5 lightning weapons etc etc. Lucky for you I only use my powers for good. ;) As has been said, probably best to only play unhollowed when you want to kindle or co-op. Once you beat the tourus demon you'll get a summon soapstone which will let you be summoned to other player's games. It's also worth knowing that once you've beaten an area boss, you can't be invaded in that area (and that the inbetween areas can't be invaded (ie firelink). if you're struggling with tourus it might take you a while, but once you make it to the parish bonfire, and can start upgrading weapons (and get a decent fucking shield), things will become clearer. Once you're based there, it's soooo worth trying your summon sign out and helping other players. You can drop your summon sign while hollow (undead), so you won't be invaded, and then when you get summoned to another game, you can play around, help out, see what happens in other games with invaders etc etc, and it just doesn't matter if you die. You'll just be sent back to your game with whatever souls you'd collected. And if you do help them beat the area boss, you'll get 5k+ and 1 humanity. You can just keep doing that as much as you like too. Great way to save up and upgrade weapons quickly. if you do get invaded and killed, just go back and retrieve your souls. Stick close to a bonfire if it happens so you don't have to go far.

I've just got my character enough strength and dexterity to be able to wield the Black Knight sword effectively with two hands, these undead mofos are falling with one hit! Even with their shields raised getting 50 damage and recoiling to fuck. I don't think progressing in a game ever felt this good. Gonna try and kill that Tauros bastard now. He gonn' get the black knight beatdown, mmmhmmm.
  • heh, bk sword that early? Overkill, but sure.

If you're gonna use the bk sword, see paul's advice re the drop attack. Going tourus straight up with no shield that early is risky. What are your dex and str at now? Once you get to the blacksmith you'll be able to wield and do awesome damage with plenty of good weapons that won't require two hands all the time.

BK stuff is awesome, but it can't be enchanted (gold pine resin etc) and has high stat reqs and costs 2k and twinkling tite to upgrade. It's totally late game gear.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Learn Taurus the hard way. Toe to hoof. Diving between his legs and side to side. That's step one of becoming a real boy.

I'm all down no one else swears by Black Knight Greataxe as much as I do ;_;
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Christ it all sounds too good. I've not played either of the Souls games. Should I start at the beginning when I get round to it?
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I'd recommend starting with Dark Souls. There's no link in story or setting between the two games and you'l get the benefit of all these lovely chaps giving you council. Only a few peeps here have played Demon's Souls I believe.
  • yeah, start with Dark. Also, i think they're turning off the demon's servers, so you'll be stuck in offline mode.

@bollocks: bk greataxe is fun, but it's a touch too slow, with not as much range as the halberd and not the same speed as the swords.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Does online really matter that much? Why?
  • beano wrote:
    Does online really matter that much? Why?

Co-op is a. fun, and b. for a couple of bosses, almost necessary if you're not feeling uber hardcore.

The pvp stuff and invasions are an awesome change of pace and add legs to the game.

You also won't get all the graffiti hints around the world from other players. There's a lot of white noise, but if you see a lot of notes in a spot, you can bet there's something to watch out for.

You also won't get the bloodstains and ghosts. They're far from vital, and the info they give is obtuse, but they do make things easier, on the whole.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Sounds like I might do better with a walkthrough and I ain't that kind of guy. I've kind of gone off the online and the game in one swoop. I understand it's hard but I was thinking rockman hard. Not I need to cheat to get by. I'll deffo give it a go before I pass judgement. I know it's not your intention but that answer is perfectly off putting.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    @bollocks: bk greataxe is fun, but it's a touch too slow, with not as much range as the halberd and not the same speed as the swords.

Can't argue with any of that. I love it for who it is.

Although last I played some Dark I was cheating on it with some two-handed Golem axe action. Apparently it has an innately high chance to stun-lock people despite its average damage for a great weapon.
  • beano wrote:
    Sounds like I might do better with a walkthrough and I ain't that kind of guy. I've kind of gone off the online and the game in one swoop. I understand it's hard but I was thinking rockman hard. Not I need to cheat to get by. I'll deffo give it a go before I pass judgement. I know it's not your intention but that answer is perfectly off putting.

Walkthroughs take out all the fun. It's infinitely better to play, die, get confused, and then come in here and ask for help. Also, fwiw, the bosses that I think are better/easier co-op are well into the game. And not everyone needed co-op help. Different builds and different approaches will come up against different issues at different points.

basically, co-op is handy as a fall back. There's ways of grinding through bosses solo, but rather than hitting a wall, it's good to just give it a crack and then get some help. (It should also be mentioned that plenty of bosses just need a particular tactic. So a question here about what gear and what's a good idea and a bad idea can make all the difference.)
  • It's well worth tanking up to take on 4kings, in my opinion.

It's the only time I go over 25% equip (or 50% with DWG Ring), as Havel's armour has such great poise and magic defense, that it doesn't matter if you miss the odd roll through their swings or eat a Hadouken. The only thing you then need to then recognise, is the start up animation of the AOE and grab attacks. Just backpedal then reapproach.

Face, did you find the..
    Spoiler:

..at the bottom of the well yet?
    Spoiler:

• Nope. Nice.

I've never tried tanking 4k. Come to that, I've never tried tanking anything. I probably should.
  • It works a treat man, dat poise makes you unstoppable, and as you say it's all about damage per second.

How do you reveal spoilers btw? Clicking doesn't seem to work for me.
  • Don't use IE. And/or quote the person to see. I think it's a bug being worked on.
  • I'm going to have to get this.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!