The Car thread
  • @all_of_the_above - hence why I asked if anybody else had tried it.  I may wait a couple of years to see how it develops.
    Sensible choice - I'd keep an eye on the MoneySavingExpert forums or something - punters there are bound to give it a shot to see if it actually saves. After a year or two you'll be hearing either "OMG success story I saved £XXX" or "OMG the insurance company fucked us for £XXX".
  • That's what driving lessons are for, live.  Experience should make you a better driver of course, but I had a year of lessons before I sat my test, by which time I was reasonably good at driving fairly smoothly and at sensible speed.
  • Yeah but you are the greatest driver of all time igor as we have learnt.

Most of us mere mortals still make mistakes regularly in the first year after passing.
  • No, I'm sure I'm no better a driver than anyone else here and made plenty of mistakes when I first started but I can see the smartbox thing as a useful tool to aid further learning for inexperienced drivers.

You get the basic skills down when you're learning then the smartbox highlights any niggles that remain that could be ironed out to make you safer and more efficient.
  • It's not there to do that.  It's there to make insurance companies more money.
  • @igor
    Well it's either going to highlight stuff thats wrong, or it's going to save you money, can't do both surely.

@Unlikely
    Spot on
  • Seriously, they don't give a fuck about your safety.  They give a fuck about how much it costs them if you pile into a church at 180mph.
  • Hi Unlikely, where the fick have you been?  

I'm a bit off about all of the financial type institutions atm.  i can only see what they do as a way of amking them more money, nothing to do with safety. 
    More accidents mean they put premiums up anyway - they had a field day with the snow a couple of years ago.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I've been in a meeting.  I'm going into another meeting soon.  WHAT'S IT TO YOU?
  • @igor Well it's either going to highlight stuff thats wrong, or it's going to save you money, can't do both surely. @Unlikely Spot on
    I quite agree - the bottom line for the insurance companies is money.  The point though is that to end 2009, for every £100 that was paid in premiums, £123 was paid out in claims.  Some insurers have decided that a smartbox will help tip the balance in their favour, whether that's more through increased premiums for bad drivers or reduced claims for those (esp. 17 yr male) who drive more sensibly and have fewer collisions.

@live - it can do both - it points out stuff that you're doing wrong - you fix it - it saves you money.
  • Igor I think you should get one and be our official B&B test pilot.

As you claim to be a very careful, safe driver you are the perfect candidate.
  • But to be sure it's working you should spend the first 90 days driving "perfectly" and the next breaking every law you can think of, preferably in front of the police.
  • £650,000 speeding fine lol.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Smashed my windscreen, caused significant damage to the front offside corner, dented my roof and other minor cosmetic damage.  I was going at 30mph when a cyclist cut out straight into my path from between queuing vehicles on the other side of the road.  I had no chance to avoid the collision.
    I can't believe you were driving too fast to stop past queued traffic, thank god it wasn't a school child stepping out...

:)

Also a year of lessons? I past 7 days after my 17th birthday...
  • Sorry, my car doesn't go from 30-0 in less than 1.5s.

Also, I'm a little alarmed that anyone can be considered roadworthy after only a week behind the wheel.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Perhaps you shouldn't have been doing 30 past stationary traffic?

I've not knocked anybody off a bike yet so it would appear that my examiner got it right.

Also who said I'd only had a week behind the wheel? I've been driving cars since I was 11 and riding bikes since I was 9...

I was only yanking your chain as I realise that some accidents are unavoidable by some of the parties involved as my own accident proved.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    To be fair Moto, we have established that you are an unstable psychotic time bomb when on the road.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Oi!!!
  • Skerret wrote:
    To be fair Moto, we have established that you are an unstable psychotic time bomb when on he road.

Well, yeah, you should actually be in prison for that story about taking offence to someone's driving, following him 100 miles out of your way, goading him into stopping, and then assaulting him to a degree that sounded like GBH.  

Regarding the secret watch-your-driving box thing, loads of people out here have them.  They don't contain GPS (and the OBD port in most cars would be shielded from GPS signals anyway), they can only read info provided by the OBD port itself.  

They're well written about here, and the insurers over here have to be pretty open about what they do with them.  There's only 2 parameters that they regularly use here; braking effort and time.  If you're always braking sharply, they assume that you are more likely to be in an accident.  If you're always driving at 4am, they assume you're often tired and correlate that with stats of when accidents tend to happen, and adjust your premium appropriately.

The biggest insurer that uses them (Progressive) says they don't use RPM data as it's not comparable; there's no reference to redline, there's no way to tell it's a diesel that revs to 4500 or Unlikely's car with a 9000rpm redline.  They also say that it'd be unfair to penalise you if you live up a mountain and have to drive up it at high revs every day after work.

One of my closest friends here has one, albeit for the "family" car and not his commuting one (the night shifts would tick the "unsociable hours" box too often).  He and his wife have saved something like 25% on their first renewal.

Anyway, if they work the same as the ones here, they're not going to know what the speed limit was or anything.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    You're a bit out on the mileage, let's hope the next time you're hurtling towards a mountain you realise the difference between 100 miles and 10 miles eh?

Some people are happy to be gesticulated at, unfortunately for him I don't fall into that category.

NB: I didn't goad him, I forced him and I'd do it again if somebody acted like that around me...
  • Would you follow someone home from the pub?
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Would you follow someone home from the pub?
    Eh?

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking? If you mean would I follow somebody home from a pub that had 'started' on foot then the answer is no, it would have been sorted out before they left the pub. If you are talking about would I follow a drink driver then the answer would be no as I wouldn't have my car with me.

The story Elm referred to was a bloke who was continuely cutting people up, forcing people to brake sharply and genuinely just causing mayhem. He tried to undertake me in queues of traffic but ended up getting boxed in, I was laughing at him and he went mental giving it loads from within his car. I turned off at the same time as him and got out of my car, he also got out and was still giving it large so I physically showed him I wasn't happy. I look at it that it could've been my Dad, my sister, your missus, etc he was having a go at so I think he got what he fucking deserved. I'm not a nutter who just randomly attacks people.

I drive a Multipla and have 2 Cavalier King Charles, just how aggressive can I be!
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Moto70 wrote:
    2 Cavalier King Charles
    psy-cho
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I'm surprised they didn't use them instead of Rottwielers In The Omen!
  • Elmlea wrote:
    ... The biggest insurer that uses them (Progressive) says they don't use RPM data as it's not comparable; ....
    Ah, Progressive, proof positive if ever it was needed that insurance companies are complete cunts, who will do their very, very best to fuck you over if it saves them some money:

http://mattfisher.tumblr.com/post/29338478278/my-sister-paid-progressive-insurance-to-defend-her
  • Moto70 wrote:
    a bloke who was continuely cutting people up, forcing people to brake sharply and genuinely just causing mayhem. He tried to undertake me in queues of traffic but ended up getting boxed in, I was laughing at him and he went mental giving it loads from within his car. I turned off at the same time as him and got out of my car, he also got out and was still giving it large so I physically showed him I wasn't happy. I look at it that it could've been my Dad, my sister, your missus, etc he was having a go at so I think he got what he fucking deserved.

Hmm.  If he was gesticulating wildly at my wife, I think she'd just quietly ignore him and let him carry on past without it affecting her day.

I'm more worried that one day I'll be trying to get somewhere with my daughter gravely sick in the back of the car, and you'll do your "road vigilante" act on me with an entirely inappropriate and misplaced sense of responsibility.  Or I'll be worried that you'll take offence to my driving to the point of assault.

If you think someone's driving badly, ignore it.  If you think someone's driving dangerously, call the police.  There's absolutely no civilised or acceptable reason to follow them somewhere and then attack them.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    It was clear from his demeanour and driving style that he wasn't on some sort of emergency, you're forgetting that he also got out of his car so he could well have forced your wife or you and your sick daughter off the road or to stop and try his road rage with either of you so for all your 'this and that' the reason you haven't seen him is he could well have thought twice before acting that way again.

I've had to drive quick to get somewhere myself and I had my hazard lights on and I was flashing my headlights, some people still got shirty but the majority of people could see that something was a little out of the ordinary.

Anyway I don't need to explain myself to somebody that wasn't there who decides to take the moral highground years after the event. Don't forget that if everybody acted as they should you wouldn't have a job...
  • Nope sorry, still not justified. He was driving like a bellend, ignore or call the police. If you want to flip him off do so and then forget about it. There's no reason either of you should have got out of your cars, he's just as in the wrong as you were. 

Also if everyone abided by the laws and we had no need for the military and lived in utopian harmony, Elm would be a commercial pilot instead of a fighter pilot so your last point was as clumsy as it was stupid.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!