Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Emissions for road tax seem all over the place right now and I'm not sure why. My car that I bought in 2014 is £30 a year in tax, but looking to buy my wife a new car (newer and more eco) and its £160 a year in tax.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    As to learning, I had an hour a day for ages. Unless you've been practising in other people's cars for years then you can forget about speed passing, I'd say.
  • I think the problem with intensive courses is you won't experience a wide range of situations, I'm surprised they are still allowed to be honest.
    You will be a better driver for taking longer over it, even if you do 6 months followed by an intensive course.

Ibizas are fantastic cars especially for starting out, I started in them. VW but cheaper. I would go and sit in some cars, you may be surprised, my brother had a Seat Mii for a bit and was more than comfortable in it at 6'1".
    Make sure you are looking at insurance as well, it will be high despite your age. Pick something sensible and get the 3 years no claims under your belt.
  • Aye, once you get through the test your insurance is gonna be your highest cost. Try not to get too caught up in ‘what car’ thinking until way nearer the time. Get in about some driving lessons and see how things go.
  • Hello all. First-time post in here. And here's why..

So I'm saving to learn to drive. I've had enough of putting it off, and it needs to be done if me & shona are gonna live together and I'm gonna get to work. Has anyone here done an intensive course? Anything you can recommend? Thinking I'm definitely wanting to do it that way so it's done, yknow? Cannot be bothered spending months on lessons.

Secondly, if/when it all goes well, where do I start? I'm thinking I'm wanting an actual hatchback and not a supermini. I'm 6'4" and want to be comfortable. Things that are important are emissions (for road tax dealios), fuel economy and how it feels inside the car. That new fangled android connectivity would be cool too.
    Looking at official manufacturers sites is an exercise in frustration, especially when you don't have a clue what each trim does/means.

Baw Jaws suggested the Seat Ibiza or a Polo which look good! Anyone else?

Thanks in advance.

Gav, this thread (see url) is great for sub £1000 cars. I lurk on it alot. It's amazing what you can find. My first car after passing my test was a mk4 golf. You can pick up an 04 plate mk4 for under £1000 if you hunt around on autotrader.co.uk, eBay etc. A Ford focus as Kow said isn't a bad shout either or the ibiza as live said. Basically anything by Volkswagen group.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=1291750&i=9760

For your first car, once you pass you will have scrapes, dents etc so a cheap banger is fine while you gain experience. You only really gain that experience after your test when your driving by yourself. You will make mistakes, that happens hence a cheap car is a good choice.

As for lessons, you can do intensive or do traditional 1 hour a week for x months. Comes down to maturity, ability and confidence behind the wheel. Whatever you decide, make sure you learn on roads that are used for the actual driving test by whichever test centre you will eventually book in with.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    I finally got a car after passing my test 4 years ago. I just got a Focus 1.0 ecoboost 125 and it does the job. Can fit a pram in the boot with a bit of space for shopping and that.

It wasn't £1000 cheap but size (physical and engine) wise, it was spot on. Insurance was really high due to not driving for years and having no no-claims.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • https://www.popularmechanics.com/culture/tv/a18930154/1982-pontiac-firebird-trans-am-kitt-knight-rider/

Fantastic pet project. Replica of KITT including the internal dashboard and lights and all.
  • Applied for my provisional. Wheels are a turning..
  • Been on the phone with a certain Amazon-based TV show this afternoon because they want my car for a piece of filming next week. The location’s a four-hour drive away though, so I’ll only agree to it if they pay my petrol. No confirmation on that yet …
  • I'd want a hell of a lot more than just petrol money for that.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    I'd want a hell of a lot more than just petrol money for that.

A nice juicy steak?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    At least a hot meal.
  • I do loathe this TV industry attitude that everyone should drop their whole life for free for the merest opportunity to breathe the same air as them.

I’m only involved if there’s a fee, expenses, food and board. Sounds like there will be, this time.
  • ask for replacement set of tyres, a full fuel tank, a free service. after all those muppets cant drive.
  • I’ll be driving, it’s okay. Fuel’s paid. I’ve agreed to it now and signed an NDA, so no more chat from me until it airs.
  • What car do you drive, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Don't punch the producer.
  • poprock wrote:
    Been on the phone with a certain Amazon-based TV show this afternoon because they want my car for a piece of filming next week. The location’s a four-hour drive away though, so I’ll only agree to it if they pay my petrol. No confirmation on that yet …

Mate, I'm insanely jealous. If there's room for a +1, gimme a shout. I'd love that.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Been on the phone with a certain Amazon-based TV show this afternoon because they want my car for a piece of filming next week. The location’s a four-hour drive away though, so I’ll only agree to it if they pay my petrol. No confirmation on that yet …

Possibly a stupid question but how did they even find you and the car?

• Car ordered. Merc are updating the A-Class later this year so there’s some amazing deals. Gone for an AMG line with tons of extra’s in Cirrus white. Was considering waiting for the new model but to get the same spec type in the new shape you’d be talking £400-500 a month, got it all for under £300. If you’re looking for a good deal get searching for contract hire options on the A-Class.
  • Possibly a stupid question but how did they even find you and the car?

For TV, the writers usually come up with a list of cars they want, then the researchers have to source them. The researchers will contact owners clubs and organisers of car events etc to ask for leads on individual owners. If they want brand-new cars, they’ll go to manufacturers and dealers.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    Car ordered. Merc are updating the A-Class later this year so there’s some amazing deals. Gone for an AMG line with tons of extra’s in Cirrus white. Was considering waiting for the new model but to get the same spec type in the new shape you’d be talking £400-500 a month, got it all for under £300. If you’re looking for a good deal get searching for contract hire options on the A-Class.

What was the deal 6+24? Maintenance included?
  • Nice car Ver. Been driving an AMG line A class Merc for four years now, and currently shopping for a new motor. Couldn't really say anything bad about the Merc tho, but I don't have many options on mine, so it feels way behind the pack tech wise now. 
    Have to say I hate the cabin design of the facelift coming this summer, so yes, good time to get one of the last of the old ones.
    Out of interest, what sort of spec did they throw at the one you're getting?
  • g.man wrote:
    Nice car Ver. Been driving an AMG line A class Merc for four years now, and currently shopping for a new motor. Couldn't really say anything bad about the Merc tho, but I don't have many options on mine, so it feels way behind the pack tech wise now. 
    Have to say I hate the cabin design of the facelift coming this summer, so yes, good time to get one of the last of the old ones.
    Out of interest, what sort of spec did they throw at the one you're getting?

I’ve driven a couple and always liked them, I’m not too keen on the facelift either, the cabin or the exterior. Looks a bit softer, a bit too A3 from the back and sides and a little mustang/Volvo from the front, I know that sounds weird but you can see both in the bonnet and lights. Much prefer the aggressive look on the current model.

It’s basically got the Premium Plus Equip line with a few more extras, so pretty much everything, though they’re not supposed to be on the 200d they’ve a few that have pretty much everything on and pre-registered the very last day of last month so kind of a pre-Reg contract hire. Really wanted the A45 4Matic but just couldn’t get it close enough to budget. Which engine you got? Really wanted the smart phone unlock tech but apparently it’s not available on the A.

I’ve always valued your opinion on cars though so it’s good news you’re so positive about it. What are you thinking of getting?

@Dino, went with 3+24 without maintenance as it was an extra £20 a month which I just don’t think is necessarily worth it, unless you’re very unlucky!
  • Mines just the 180d with the small litre and a half diesel engine. Great car though. The AMG line makes it look really sporty, yet it's got a tiny diesel engine under the bonnet that will do 65 miles to the gallon on the open road. Win Win really. Really enjoyed owning it.
    No idea what to get next, which is what's making it so difficult. There's just nothing that really grabs me at the moment. Looking at small SUVs. Everything from the BMW X1 and Range Rover Evoque, to the Audi Q2 and Seat Ateca and all points in between.
    Initially was going to go for the Merc GLA (big brother of the A), but it's stupidly overpriced and under specced for what you get compared to the competition.
    So basically I'm just going round and round and round in circles at the mo.
    Quite fancy this version of the Q2...
    gtFv2Ii.jpg

1KOfO5N.jpg

A colleague bought one the other week and it's really lovely, but the only one I can find of the version above that's the right deal is a five hour drive away, and fuck that.
  • They’re lovely, great spec on them too, almost from the bottom up. That was my issue, I was looking at a number of different cars across different sizes and it was mainly gonna be the deal that was best and this was simply too good a deal. The GLA was on the table today too as I do like the look of them but as you say to get what I wanted it was too costly especially in comparison to the Evoque which I was very close to getting a week or so ago.

At the moment there’s a number of good cars that I like but few that I would need to get regardless of the budget, I wondered if it was a maturity thing but it can’t be as I’m simply not that mature...

I love such drives for new cars, especially finding crazy routes to enjoy different types of driving the new car. Gotta get a ferry and a train to pick up the A-Class...
  • Your a better man than me mate. Fucked if I'm driving for five hours to go look at a car.
  • g.man wrote:
    Your a better man than me mate. Fucked if I'm driving for five hours to go look at a car.

We’re hopefully gonna tie the trip to also picking up ANOTHER puppy. Apparently it’s easier to have two than one. So Tars will have a friend in Case.

pdRlOX.jpg
  • Niiiiice.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!