The Car thread
  • The mark two ones are great. Still not a lot of room in the back of the coupe but the way they pull sure puts a smile on the face.
    The Forum Herald™
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Taking the car to show at the Herts Auto Show next weekend, if you are in the area drop in! http://www.hertsautoshow.co.uk
  • Engine warning light came on in the Alfa yesterday, 220-ish miles from home. Boost control failure. Switched itself off again magically today, about 300 miles later.

Finally, it feels like a proper Alfa now.
  • Helpfully, the warning light returned as Mrs Poprock delivered the car to the garage this morning. Excellent timing, those Italian electrics.
  • Also, made an excellent discovery yesterday. The people who own Tebay/Westmorland services have bought Cairn Lodge services up here and just opened their new building, farm shop and everything. Game changer, lads. Means I no longer need to take a 40 minute detour to get decent service area food when driving to England.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Also, made an excellent discovery yesterday. The people who own Tebay/Westmorland services have bought Cairn Lodge services up here and just opened their new building, farm shop and everything. Game changer, lads. Means I no longer need to take a 40 minute detour to get decent service area food when driving to England.

I stopped at Tebay southbound for the first time earlier on this year. Aside from some slightly random walking routes that head off into the trees from the parking areas before abruptly ending either in deep mud or 'turn back' signs and fencing, it seemed to be about as nice as you could hope a UK motorway service stop to be. Nice to see Tesla Superchargers too.
  • Aye you can get some reet bargains on there.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    I bought some reduced price black pudding sausages from the farm shop which were very tasty.
  • Brother in law, took his motor for a mot and service to a Formula1 garage (yeh i know they are crap). Anyhow, first they failed his car on the Xeon headlight not working right. Quoted him £2,000 to have it fixed. (We fixed it with a cable tie afterwards).

Then they said they'd serviced his car. He took his motor to a second garage for another opinion on the mot failure to be told that the car needed a service as well. He told the 2nd garage that it had just been serviced. The mechanic opened up the air filter which hadn't been changed and also showed him the state of the oil. The service hadn't been done, but he was charged for it.

Anyway he's raised a complaint to trading standards and trying to get his service money back. I said to him technically its fraud as well. Is trading standards the best route to go down?
  • Fuckers.
    Always ask for the old parts back before they start, even shit like filters and spark plugs.
  • I got jipped by a poxy little garage years back when I bought a used Clio from them. When it developed a fault my regular garage told me it was technically unsafe, it hadn't been serviced as the previous garage had claimed and the 'new' MOT wasn't worth the paper it was written on.

I contacted Trading Standards and as I'd paid with my credit card they said this was the best way about getting your money back for the repairs. Gave them all the details of the fraudulent garage but don't know if they investigated. I enquired about taking the MOT tester to task, but this was even trickier to enforce. I got my money back through the Halifax credit card, they didn't fuck about, and I like to think some skinny, bespectacled banker went round and kneecapped the dodgy garage owner.

Short version is; any doubts, pay with credit card, then you're protected.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Emissions for road tax seem all over the place right now and I'm not sure why. My car that I bought in 2014 is £30 a year in tax, but looking to buy my wife a new car (newer and more eco) and its £160 a year in tax.

Don't you pay more for a new car's tax or did I imagine that?
  • I think you pay more the first year?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Yeah, it changed in the last year or so.  Old ones still qualify for whatever they were on, new rules for newer cars though.  It is silly.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Brother in law, took his motor for a mot and service to a Formula1 garage (yeh i know they are crap). Anyhow, first they failed his car on the Xeon headlight not working right. Quoted him £2,000 to have it fixed. (We fixed it with a cable tie afterwards).

Then they said they'd serviced his car. He took his motor to a second garage for another opinion on the mot failure to be told that the car needed a service as well. He told the 2nd garage that it had just been serviced. The mechanic opened up the air filter which hadn't been changed and also showed him the state of the oil. The service hadn't been done, but he was charged for it.

Anyway he's raised a complaint to trading standards and trying to get his service money back. I said to him technically its fraud as well. Is trading standards the best route to go down?

Yes. But I'd ring the police too. And watchdog. And the local news/radio/papers.
  • And set fire to the garage.
  • I was looking at a new car but I do really like my Alfa MiTo. And for a 1.4 turbo petrol engine with 135 horsepower it somehow gets 45mpg, even though it's urban driving. I can probably thank the stop/start for that! 

I think the Multiair engine is genius and I would love a Fiat or Abarth 124, one day. I can only imagine how good this torquey but efficient engine would feel with that chassis and rear wheel drive.
  • We’ve got the big brother, a Giulietta. The interior really is stellar, such a lovely place to sit. What surprised me was how eager the engine is. We’ve got the 1.6 turbo diesel and it genuinely shifts. Let’s me keep pace with much more exotic machinery when I really didn’t expect it to.

Turns out that parts are still a pain in the arse though. An interior door handle broke and we’re looking at £500 to fix it.
  • Been meaning to ask about the guilietta, i quite fancy one myself. I didn't think the 1.6 diesel would have as much poke, been looking at the 1.4 turbo petrol instead.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I’ve got this in my workshop at the moment.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/djOuUxf.jpg
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    I’ve got this in my workshop at the moment.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/djOuUxf.jpg[img]

Gt40?
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    You got it.
    Get schwifty.
  • An original, or one of those supersport ones from south Africa?
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    It’s actually a GT40 kit car.
    Get schwifty.
  • Aaahh righto. Still pretty cool, you doing the full rebuild? Love to see it when it's done.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Just in for bodywork and a complete repaint.
    Get schwifty.
  • HawBawJaws wrote:
    Been meaning to ask about the guilietta, i quite fancy one myself. I didn't think the 1.6 diesel would have as much poke, been looking at the 1.4 turbo petrol instead.

The 1.4 petrol would be an awesome engine. Just make sure service history is up to date, as there is an actuator in multiair engines that is prone to fail, and will cost £1000 to fix! (It happened to mine, during the previous owner's... ownership)
  • That's top advice mate, thanks. I've been looking on autotrader, one of my main criteria is bhp. Think the diesel has about 110, which is similar to my current car (which is slow as fuck, but that's probably because the vulva weighs 1.4 tons, i imagine the alfas a lot lighter), seen versions of the 1.4 with 170bhp, which isn't a lot, but it's what I've been missing since I traded my leon in against the vulva.
  • the great thing about the multiair is the amount of torque you get. I had a V8 merc before this MiTo and honestly low down it feels just as torquey as that did! 

I dunno about not being a lot of horsepower, 0-60 in 7.2 seconds isn't too shabby! And you'll probably still get high 30s MPG (actually it's rated as 37.8 MPG on Realmpg). Probably even more if you opt for one with stop/start.

This is making me want to get one, now! :D As poprock says, the interior of the Giulietta is beautiful, especially with the half leather seats.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!