The Car thread
  • Make sure he teaches you clutch rebate and the RPM formula.
  • Me and @afgavinstan's whip for the day:
    aSaLb4y.jpg

Someone has to do that paint job on forza.
  • Hahaha
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • So, how about private plate dickheads, eh?

There’s one next door to me. Numberplate with only four characters. Really over the top Chelsea tractor – a Land Rover tarted up by the Special Vehicles department. Quilted leather seats, that sort of thing. He had a blue wrap applied to it. The thing has never seen any mud, ever. He parks it on the corner, on double yellows, every night so that it can be as close to his front door as possible.

He’s changed his private plate to LO17 DON. He’s had vinyls applied to both sides of the car saying ‘PRIVATE PLATE FOR SALE £350,000’.

We’re in Glasgow and his car only ever drives as far as the shops and back.
  • My Brother, Sister in Law, parents all have them.
    Nothing fancy, just the usual letter and number arrangement but with initials etc that they like. They are quite considerate but then they aren't the top level personalised plate knobs.

Personally I don't get it and think they are a waste of money at best.

I just followed a Dodge Charger with something like R117 XXX, couldn't drive for shit, Max 45 in a 60, left his main beam on despite on coming cars, all over the road. Probably pissed. I regularly follow drunk drivers on that road, they always pull into the posh village.

There is a Range Rover with R1 that I see near my parent's place sometimes. Must be worth a fortune.
  • I have a personal plate on my car, but only because it was my Stepdad’s. I inherited the car and taking the plate off it would feel disrespectful to his memory.
  • I’ve little interest in them but if you got in early enough I’m guessing they were a good investment.  Worked for a client once who had J4.  Said he’d paid around £220k for it and this was around 8 - 9 years ago.
  • My dad's is the only non-standard arrangement.
    Letter, number, three letters.
    It's worth about a grand. It actually came with my first car, a 1 litre Seat Ibiza that cost £1500.
    My dad kept it when we scrapped my car (head gasket) to see if it will ever be worth anything.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    There is a pair of cars parked up that I pass every time I come into London with private plates. 2 BE is one, and NOT 2 BE is the other. I smile ery tim.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Personal license plates are all kind of ridiculous here. The worst one I might have caught was "tpoopz", black kia sportage. I just hope it was a 16 year old driving that one.
  • There's a mini kicks about round here, reg w33 cow or something like that. Drives it like a wee cow anyway. Have i asked on here about black plates with silver lettering, or was that another forum? Seen them on a couple of range rovers and a bmw before.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    You have. I saw one last week. Its strange.
  • There's a little runabout round near my folks that's got BU51 BEE I fucking love it when I see it out and about.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Newest, weirdest car search kink: left armrests for the driver. Need dat comfort yo.
  • Oooh, you're still alive.  How did you get on yesterday?
  • You'll need to ask Scott! I think I did okay, bit nervy, but enjoyed it, that's the main thing.
  • Was going to say you'll smash it then realised that, er...
  • Newest, weirdest car search kink: left armrests for the driver. Need dat comfort yo.

Exact placement is key. Don‘t want that left armrest blocking your elbow when changing gear.
  • Definitely. Much prefer the "part of a full centre console" type than a "storage cubby" variant. But then there's size, and budget innit.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    That’s a mess. I’d seriously consider some action. An Audi garage once threatened not to fix a DSG gearbox under warranty, so I took a week off and parked up in front of the dealership on the Monday and let them know I’d be putting people off all week, they said I wouldn’t dare, an hour later they agreed to do the work.

Haha, brilliant!
  • Hypothetical: if I end up with an Audi A1, that'll make me a dick/hairdresser, yeah?

(obvious insurance stupidity as a new driver aside)
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Nah, A1s are fine.
  • Hmmm. Good to know. They tick every box apart from budget. Just didn't know if I'll be judged as harshly as Direct Line would do.
  • My first year's insurance was £1200 on a 96 plate Fiat Punto 1.2, aged 23. I think I'd paid £3000 for the car. It was with Direct Line who were the cheapest for me at that time. Some of the other quotes were cray cray.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Top five worst drivers on UK roads (ignorant clichés edition):
    1. Renault Espace (esp. in silver)
    2. Audis (esp. when on motorways)
    3. Supermarket delivery vans (all brands)
    4. Anything in white with blacked-out windows
    5. Taxis (esp. Uber)
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I remember pay around £100 per month 3rd party, fire and theft for an E Reg Peugeot 309 when I was 18. Insurance is a bastard when you're new.
  • I done a quick hypothetical quote on money supermarket and it was 650ish for the year. May be wildly inaccurate. I'm 31 though tbf.
  • poprock wrote:
    Top five worst drivers on UK roads (ignorant clichés edition):
    1. Renault Espace (esp. in silver)
    2. Audis (esp. when on motorways)
    3. Supermarket delivery vans (all brands)
    4. Anything in white with blacked-out windows
    5. Taxis (esp. Uber)

Honda jazz
    Daewoo/chevrolet matiz
  • Let’s expand.

Renault Espace and/or Citroen Xsara Picasso
    Driven by people who have simply given up; on life, on joy, on everything. Dangerous nihilists.

Audis
    Inexplicably appealing to utter bellends with massive egos and short tempers, thus dangerous. Forever driving right up your back end and mentally willing you to move over and let them pass.

Supermarket delivery vans
    Responsible for huge amounts of minor damage to parked cars around them in built-up areas. Incapable of parking without hitting something first.

Anything in white with blacked-out windows
    Uninsured. Even if they think they’re insured, because they didn’t bother declaring any of the pointless modifications to their ‘whip’.

Taxis
    Most people hate their place of work. Taxi drivers work on the roads. They hate the roads. Really, really, hate them. Permanently angry. Dangerous.

Honda Jazz
    Exclusively owned by pensioners. Dangerously slow reactions.

Daewoo/Chevy Matiz
    Dangerous nihilists. See Espace above.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!