Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Taxis Most people hate their place of work. Taxi drivers work on the roads. They hate the roads. Really, really, hate them. Permanently angry. Dangerous.

I'm not sure that taxi drivers hate roads, but they do hate other road users. Does that mean that most people hate their colleagues?
  • Hate's maybe a strong word for it, but I've got a few colleagues I'd happily punch squarely in the fuck.

Then kick into a river.
  • poprock wrote:

Audis
    Inexplicably appealing to utter bellends with massive egos

Ah. That'll be that then. :(
  • poprock wrote:
    . Audis Inexplicably appealing to utter bellends with massive egos
    Ah. That'll be that then. :(

They appeal to other folks too. Decent folks. Like you. But for some reason …
  • I've yet to get in a taxi in Bradford that has done less than 200,000 miles. Their vehicular pride lost some 120k ago.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Europarts/Motorserve vans
    Not sure how regional these companies are but any car parts supplier in their little delivery vans, the ones that are basically Golfs or Astras.

Driven like they are in the Fast and the Furious by 35 year old man children.
  • Afgavinstan get a cheap runabout for your first car. You will have knocks and scrapes. It happens. You won't feel so bad if it's not a shiny nice car.

Depending on budget you could pick up a golf from 04 - 08 plate for a few grand. It will have the power to overtake other cars and space for friends and family.
  • Europarts/Motorserve vans
    Not sure how regional these companies are but any car parts supplier in their little delivery vans, the ones that are basically Golfs or Astras.

Driven like they are in the Fast and the Furious by 35 year old man children.

Add small Post Office vans to that. There's a windey country road near me leading from their depot that they use as a rally stage. It's like a convoy of Postman Ari Patanens.

GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Webbins wrote:
    Add small Post Office vans to that.

Literally anybody who drives on public roads for their actual living. Royal Mail vans, couriers, taxi drivers, buses …
  • jdanielp wrote:
    poprock wrote:
    Taxis Most people hate their place of work. Taxi drivers work on the roads. They hate the roads. Really, really, hate them. Permanently angry. Dangerous.
    I'm not sure that taxi drivers hate roads, but they do hate other road users. Does that mean that most people hate their colleagues?

My biggest grievance with taxi drivers in when they stop to pick up in the middle of the road.. EVEN WHEN THERE ARE SPACES ADJACENT !! fucking pull in and clear the road you fucking lazy cunt.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bob wrote:
    jdanielp wrote:
    poprock wrote:

My biggest grievance with taxi drivers in when they stop to pick up in the middle of the road.. EVEN WHEN THERE ARE SPACES ADJACENT !! fucking pull in and clear the road you fucking lazy cunt.

Ah, that's because on a taxi, hazard lights become 'park anywhere' lights. It's in the highway code.

Also, taxis are fitted with a stealth mode, where they don't ever have to indicate, or signal their intentions at all,and the rest of us just have to guess what they're gonna do next.
  • HawBawJaws wrote:
    … the rest of us just have to guess what they're gonna do next.

The best part is they don’t actually know what they’re gonna do next. They have no idea. They react to waving pedestrians and shrieking satnavs from moment to heartstopping moment.
  • I live across the road from the train station so you can imagine how much I have to deal with minicabs.
    They use the bus stops as a taxi stand which means between 6pm and 7pm every weekday is buses honking their horns at them to move.
  • Another day, another "yep that's the one". Ford Focus. It just felt right sitting in it. Can get a reasonable spec/trim from 2016 onwards.
  • More dual control with Hawbaw today. Getting over that fear bump into enjoyment. I like this driving lark.

Flavour of the day is the Vauxhall Adam. As much as I can't get away from the fact I'll look like a bear in a phonebooth, it is a lovely lovely little thing. Toys and leather (now now) everywhere.
  • I only ever see girls driving the Adam, take from that what you will. There's a blonde lass at work drives one and she's not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I'll leave it at that.
  • Yeah it's fucking shit

*throws the THREE brochures I took in the bin*
  • Isn't it actually called the Vauxhall Andy?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Fuck cars, specifically mine. Someone offer me an egg in this trying time of seeing my old piece of shit through its service and mot and fucking repairs so I can have one last year of service out of it before I fuck the stupid cunt into a bin and just cry in a corner somewhere
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • The S2000 has been buried under various items in the garage for well over a year.  I'd like to try to resurrect it but am not sure whether there's a risk of melting the engine since it's so long since it's been started.  Anyone have any advice about how to safely wake a car from such lengthy hibernation?
  • Give it a cup of tea and wrap it in tin foil.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    The S2000 has been buried under various items in the garage for well over a year.  I'd like to try to resurrect it but am not sure whether there's a risk of melting the engine since it's so long since it's been started.  Anyone have any advice about how to safely wake a car from such lengthy hibernation?

Well i guess the first thing you wanna do is check the fluid and oil levels and if that's okay I would start by just turning the power on and see if the battery works.

If the battery works is let it sit for like 10-15 minutes with the power on but no ignition.

Then try starting it up, if it starts let it just idle for like 15 minutes with no heater/radio/ac on, so the load on the engine is minimal and it can warm up.

Then give it a nice gentle trip round the block, the brakes might be sticky so give them a bit of work to free them up.

Oh and your tyres might need some air, probably check that before you drive it.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Sensible advice.  The battery should be fine - it's brand new and currently disconnected.  The old one died and this one has literally been used started the car once.
  • Give it a cup of tea and wrap it in tin foil.

Hark at Mr. RAC here, learning to drive and thinks he knows it all.

You forgot the biscuit, wiseguy.
  • Forgive me, Senna.
  • Implicit death threat post ban request for gav pls
  • *does a 360 burnout and speeds off*
  • Ha! Your clutch control is weak, grasshopper.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!