The Car thread
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Sensible advice.  The battery should be fine - it's brand new and currently disconnected.  The old one died and this one has literally been used started the car once.

Rouj’s advice was all grand. Yeah – check all the fluids and the tyre pressure before you do owt else. Top up anything that needs it. Check underneath as well, for any signs of drips on the garage floor – those would alert you to why any fluids were low. When you do start the car up, let it idle for a good 15 mins or so before going anywhere. And yes, your brakes are likely to be sticky. Nothing to worry about. Make sure you do some test braking before getting out on to the open roads and then take things easy on your first run.

Also, get the roof off, immediately. You’ve got a convertible and it’s been sat unused through all this sunshine?
  • Yeah, I know.  It's SORNed and has no MOT, so I'd need to address those both before I could go anywhere.  It's also physically inaccessible thanks to my wife using it as an extension of the garage shelving.  Would just be nice to know whether it's still alive.
  • I know it can be a pain keeping a car accessible and taxed, but the ideal thing is always to run a car regularly – even just a few miles once a month makes a huge difference.

It’s not always feasible or affordable, totally get that. But it stops you from ending up with nasty surprises and garage bills when you want to get it back on the road (or give up and sell it) one day.
  • Yar, it was never the intention to put it into long term storage, but for a variety of very complicated reasons that's what has ended up happening.  Life's a bit more under control these days so it's time to treat it with a bit more care.
  • Check for mouse nests and well.

What happens if I find a well?  I guess I drive north.

Heh. My Dad has an old TVR, which he keeps garaged over the winter. One year when it came time for it’s annual recommissioning in spring, he neglected to check for mice. My Stepmum was in the passenger seat when he started the engine … the air vents started up and fired an entire mouse nest full of twigs, rubbish, nutshells etc straight into her face and hair. My Dad was in the doghouse for quite a while after that.
  • Hahaha.  Although I very likely do have mice living in the car.  So unhahaha.
  • Finally got a date for my intensive course today and the time booked off work. Test the following Monday. It's real now, lads!
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    You'll be reet.
  • I drove just for the pleasure of driving today, for the first time in ages. Maybe even years. Forgot how much it lifts my spirits. One of my greatest pleasures. No destination, no schedule, no plan. Just drive until I find an interesting road or two, then open the throttle and enjoy it. There really is something special about getting into the zone and feeling connected to the car and the road. Well worth getting up early for.
  • That's what I'm looking forward to. Aye, I'll only be in a modern wee car, but I'm excited to explore Scotland on days off with the dog, getting my experience up.
  • I was looking at buying a new car but seeing as Auto Trader valued my beautiful 2011 Alfa MiTo at roughly £1800 (show me any other 135hp petrol engines that can get a real world 44mpg with an average speed of 24mph, Auto Trader) I think I'm gonna do some tasteful modding.

I've ordered a BMC air filter and was looking at chip tuning. Does anyone have any experience of that? I'm presuming you have to tell the insurance company...
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Or not!

You can get chips you can whip off if you have a bump. I’ve never used one but a mate has. He said most manufacturers tune cars to meet specific price bands and you can easily bump up the 0-60 with a chip.
  • So Land rover discs and pads last c15k miles. Who knew.
  • I got the filter in but it was a bitch, it now makes a cool whooshing noise sometimes. Chavtastic!
    b0r1s wrote:
    Or not! You can get chips you can whip off if you have a bump. I’ve never used one but a mate has. He said most manufacturers tune cars to meet specific price bands and you can easily bump up the 0-60 with a chip.

Cheers I'll have to look those up!
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Car badgers! What's wrong with my car? I noticed that the car seemed to be losing power a bit when accelerating, especially in 5th and on hills. It just wasn't having an easy time of it. Thought it might be my imagination. Now black smoke aplenty is coming out the back. I noticed that the car seems to struggle during some moments for no obvious reason and more smoke choices out at that moment. Could it just be air filters or something? Haven't changed them for ages. I think coolant is leaking too as I need to fill it regularly, don't know if that's related. Is it bye bye car time or just bye bye big chunk of money?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Clutch. I think.
  • Sounds like yo gasket wants looking at fam.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Clutch. I think.

That was my first thought. Filters would be cheaper to fix though.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    The S2000 has been buried under various items in the garage for well over a year.  I'd like to try to resurrect it but am not sure whether there's a risk of melting the engine since it's so long since it's been started.  Anyone have any advice about how to safely wake a car from such lengthy hibernation?

Fire it up and rev the nuts off it. Don’t
    Pussy about. Check the rubber bits for perishing and possibly treat the roof to
    A protective treatment before dropping it

The Forum Herald™
  • Kow wrote:
    Car badgers! What's wrong with my car? I noticed that the car seemed to be losing power a bit when accelerating, especially in 5th and on hills. It just wasn't having an easy time of it. Thought it might be my imagination. Now black smoke aplenty is coming out the back. I noticed that the car seems to struggle during some moments for no obvious reason and more smoke choices out at that moment. Could it just be air filters or something? Haven't changed them for ages. I think coolant is leaking too as I need to fill it regularly, don't know if that's related. Is it bye bye car time or just bye bye big chunk of money?

Is it diesel or petrol Kow? Do you do a lot of short runs?

The Forum Herald™
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Is that used car salesman advice or mechanic advice?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's a diesel. Mostly motorway really, some short stuff.
  • Any lights on the dash ?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Nope
  • Hmm it sounds a little like a full dpf but that would bring a light on it sounds a lot like clutch but that wouldn’t smoke (I’m assuming exhaust smoke)..
    The Forum Herald™
  • Might be the clutch.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!